Rear brakes non-functioning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear brakes non-functioning

I'm having a problem with the rear discbrakes on my 91 LX. They aren't working.

The rear brake pads on the driver side are completed worn down. The pads on the rear passenger side have a good amount of meat left. This would lead me to believe that the passenger side caliper is stuck. But that would mean that the driver side caliper should still work, but it doesnt.

I bled the system, but the calipers don't squeeze the pads/rotors. There is still the surface rust on the rotors that hasn't worn away.

The front brake pads have good meat left. I bled the fronts and they seem to work fine. The rotors are shiny and to the metal through the surface rust.

This car has sat for about a year probably.

The driver side manual piston adjustment worked to pull the piston back in to accept new pads, but the the passenger side piston wouldn't adjust.

The brakes bled as expected, which is why I am ruling out the master cylinder. Pressure built up in the system and was released in normal fashion when I opened the bleeder screw.

I can definitely tell when driving that the rears aren't working. The pedal feel is somewhat mushy and pedal travel seems pretty long, and no amount of pumping makes the rears work.

I'm goig to take silicone lubricant and a C-clamp to the rear pistons to see if i can free them up. Do the proportioning valves on these vehicles go out very often? If so, what are the symptoms and remedies?

I'd rather not throw money at new calipers if there is something else I can try before hand. Any ideas? Thanks!
    Last edited by Boston; 09-02-2003, 08:45 PM.

"Mazderati"
    91 LX DOHC 5 speed V8 stocker
    Pioneer DEH-550MP, Infinity 6002i's, Pioneer 6x9s
    Uniden PC76XL w/ Astatic Road Devil & 5' Wilson Silverload

1982 Jeep Wagoneer Brougham
    AMC 360 V8, 4-speed, 4x4

clean up the sliders REALLY good on the rear calipers. It's a common thing on the first gen cars, and it should just be made part of your yearly maintence routine. Take them out, same them down, and put them back in.
    "Never run out of real estate, traction & ideas at the same time"
    -93 MR2, 129 ES
    ClubProtege.com Tech Articles

Originally posted by WTF
    Remember low compression makes more space for AIR, HEEELLOOOO!

Comment

I should have mentioned that, the sliders seem to be operating properly, but I'll give them another check.

"Mazderati"

AMC 360 V8, 4-speed, 4x4

Comment

I installed the rear pads today and the calipers seem to be functioning ok. I believe that the front pads and rotors are glazed, which is causing the poor braking. I will tackle those tomorrow. I'll sand the rotors a little and install new pads.

I need to adjust the pretension on the parking brake lever also, but that shouldn't be a big deal.

Wish me luck.

"Mazderati"

AMC 360 V8, 4-speed, 4x4

Comment

Working...
        X