Haltech E6K Powered Mazdaspeed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Haltech E6K Powered Mazdaspeed

I figured I'd put one in the MSP sooner or later, and wouldn't you know the sooner came

Last week I finished installing the first portion of my E6K and got the car fired up. There was VERY little information in the US about how to wire it up and setup the triggers but with a little help from the Aussies and countless attempts at finding the right combo of teeth and offset numbers I managed to get it right!

This week I've been on the road doing some mobile tuning with my LM-1 Wideband looking for the sweet spot for the motor.. This hasn't been too easy but it seems to SCREAM at 11.5:1 A/F to about 5500rpm. After 5500rpm I've been running into high duty cycles on the injectors and trying to bring those down to about 80-85%. At 6000rpm my A/F's are around 11:1 right now and I'm aiming for 11.8-12:1 up to 7500rpm.

0vac is happy at 12.5:1 - 13:1 and has a very smooth transition into boost. Cruise runs perfect at 14.7 and idles there as well.

Update: 8/31/03

Tuning on the stock 280cc injectors is complete. I have reached my desired A/F ratios under boost and cruise and have reached the limits of timing advance. Current boost level is 4.5-6.5psi and making a good amount of useable power. Redline is set at 7000rpm and it pulls strong all the way to it. Estimated power output at 6.5psi is 185whp. With a FMIC I'd be much closer to 200whp.

460cc injectors go in next week and I will be upping the boost to 12psi. Stay tuned!
    The last of the wiring to do is to get the Tach working, put in the haltech coolant temp and air temp sensor, wire the VICS, A/C relay, BAC Valve, and cooling fans.

It does look like the stock 280cc injectors aren't going to cut it above 8psi w/o the use of an FMU, and I'm not a believer in using those so I'll be upgrading to some 450cc injectors in the future so I can tune up to 1bar.

So far so good, the car feels MUCH faster now and has NO hesitation or bogs. It runs strong with the A/C on, and pulls like a freight train at stock boost. Butt dyno estimates 190-200whp. I will not dyno this car until I have finished tuning it so please don't ask for numbers until then..

Update! 8-27-03

Idle control is now handled with the haltech. VICS is now handled by the haltech and opening much earlier than stock.

I've also got the wideband back in and have tuned all of the cruise and light throttle applications to 14.5:1 prior to activation of closed loop. This means when I turn closed loop on the fuel trim caclulations to maintain a 14.7:1 A/F will be less than 2% +/- (very efficient) which means much better gas mileage.

I also did 2 datalogs of the fuel map which are available for viewing here (1024x600):

WOT Run 2nd Gear

WOT Run 3rd Gear

As you can see I am running a bit leaner than I want to, and I will be richening up below 5500 to a healthy 11.5:1 for now. Currently its pretty solid at 12:1 but doesn't like timing advance. Above 5500 I am having to pull fuel to maintain useable Duty Cycles, but as you can see it is going into the 13:1's and that's not somewhere I want to be.

I'm going to try pulling the MBC off tonight to see if boost will go lower than 8psi, this way I can get most of the top end tuned within reasonable limits of the stock injectors before I pull them and replace with larger units.

Update 8/28/03!

460cc Injectors on their way. Time for some real boost! I'm going to finish up tuning the 280cc's this weekend to have a nice map available for beginners but after the 460's arrive on to more tuning!
    Last edited by turboge; 09-01-2003, 12:25 PM.
    -Braden
    '05 WRX

GTX Groupbuy is Closed! However you can still pick up a GTX motor for only $925!!! PM me for order details!

i wish i could get a turbo

Comment

I wish u the best of luck. R u gonna settle for 200 whp or try to get more??..Jon

Comment

You are so the man. That's a lot of excellent info, I can't believe with just proper tuning, intake and exhaust you can hit about an estimated 30whp more than stock at the same PSI. That's awesome!

Videosssssssss! :D
        Dan
        dreesemonkey

Comment

i wish i had the brain mass to be able to do stuff like this. good job man.
          .....HELLO MY NAME IS BEN...

186.08whp
          225.94wtq
          torque monster!!!!
          dyno graph 8-10-and 12psi
          http://www.msprotege.com/members/THE...no%20graph.jpg
          http://videos.streetfire.net/player....0-C19CA06AF01E dyno vid

blahblahblahblahblahblah

Comment

GoldPro ... I didn't know you had a 1990 protege

-----------------------------------------------------------

Turboge has been messing with his cars since way back in the day when I used to speak to him on aol messenger and I remeber him telling me about some turbo stuff, but ofcourse then I never had a clue what he was talking about. I only knew his car was fast as hell..

Anyway good work with the car. I honestly think you should be able to pull some good numbers out of that car, because I know kwiksti was pulling some serious numbers out of it and I was speaking to him and he was telling me that tuning is the key with the mazdaspeed.
            ohh well have fun
            Bruce
            photo album|photo album 2 (pbase)

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

GoldPro ... I didn't know you had a 1990 protege
              lol you lost me man.
              .....HELLO MY NAME IS BEN...

186.08whp
              225.94wtq
              torque monster!!!!
              dyno graph 8-10-and 12psi
              http://www.msprotege.com/members/THE...no%20graph.jpg
              http://videos.streetfire.net/player....0-C19CA06AF01E dyno vid

blahblahblahblahblahblah

Comment

are we going to boost it till it blows to find out where the REAL limit of the interals is with good tuning? Or are we making a fun daily driver that we just happen to like to mess with?

Either way, at least you now have a LSD in your car.
                "Never run out of real estate, traction & ideas at the same time"
                -93 MR2, 129 ES
                ClubProtege.com Tech Articles

Originally posted by WTF
                Remember low compression makes more space for AIR, HEEELLOOOO!

Comment

lol thanks guys

I plan on maxing out around 240whp, i think that is plenty for this car. I just got my 460cc injectors today and i'll be putting them in and tuning this weekend. I've been limited to roughly 7psi with the 280cc injectors so I'm going for 12 now on 91 octane.

I do have some videos available, i'll post those tomorrow.

LSD is good!
                  -Braden
                  '05 WRX

GTX Groupbuy is Closed! However you can still pick up a GTX motor for only $925!!! PM me for order details!

Comment

Heres some quick clips I did last week on the way to work. The car was not completely tuned but still running well.

They will open in QuickTime 4 and Media Player 8/9. Right Click and Save As it'll be faster.

2nd Gear Sprint

3rd gear sprint

45mph to 60mph speedo closeup

50mph to 75mph speedo closeup

Boost / Air-Fuel Closeup in 3rd gear

A little fun with an Audi in 3rd gear

Traffic fly-by on the 101

Enjoy!
                    -Braden
                    '05 WRX

Comment

haha awesome your car sounds mean . Get some track videos for us man lol

Comment

After I finish tuning the 460's I'll take it to the track and see what its capable of. I don't think its quite a 13 second car yet. But feels solid at 5.5-6.5psi.

I'll see about sticking a microphone under the hood and recording some good sounds
                        Last edited by turboge; 09-03-2003, 04:20 PM.
                        -Braden
                        '05 WRX

Comment

Your two speedo shot videos don't work, but they are hella sweet Great jorb there!
                          Dan
                          dreesemonkey

Comment

Update: 9/6/03

460 injectors are in. Tuning has begun at 6.5psi..

Idle is unfortunately very RICH because of the stock fuel pressure, I can't get a smooth idle under 11:1 A/F so I'll just have to live with it. However I am now running about 50% duty cycle at stock boost. So it should be good for about 14psi.

I'm aiming for 11.5:1 to redline and its currently about 10.5:1, more tuning tomorrow. It is now very very touchy to small changes when tuning in regards to the actual A/F, much harder to tune these.

I also took some pics of the stock injectors vs these.. the stocks are 2 green and 2 purple with 2 seperate part numbers... very strange...
                            -Braden
                            '05 WRX

Comment

Good luck with it all. Sounds like things are coming together pretty well.
                              "Hey look at me, I'm stupid as hell and can't even breath properly, little alone read!" - Master Shake
                              2001 Mazda Protege MP3, with Flyin' Protege Turbo Kit

www.triplezoom.com

Comment

Working...
                              X