SS brake lines installed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SS brake lines installed

I got these installed last night over at a friend's house. It was a pain the ass. The retaining clips are very hard to get back on, and for one of the rear right clips, we had to leave it off and use zip-ties for now.

The the big question:
    I dont think we bled the brakes right or something. My pedal has a bit of play before the brakes engage. It's kinda disconcerting driving down the road and having to mash that far down before it stops. I'm assuming there's air in the lines?

I'll probably just take it to a shop and get them to re-bleed the lines. What's a good brand brake fluid to use? I bought some Prestone DOT3 fluid but my friend was saying to use Redline.

Last edited by NegatiZE; 09-01-2003, 02:33 PM.
    Clint/1999 "Sport20"

Tell me if this makes a big difference. I wonder if SS brake lines make that big of a difference. And could you compare it to the AWR swaybar(totally worth every penny) and intake(not much difference for the cash)

Comment

What process did you use to bleed the brake lines?

Nick Holinski
      2002 5 Speed Classic Red Protege' 5

Injen CAI - Painted Calipers - Red Hose Kit - Painted Valve Cover And Heat Shield - Factory Color Matched Engine Parts - Red / Black "Powered By Mazda" Shoulder Pads - Sylvania SilverStar High / Lows - Custom Red Rear Blinkers - Levoc Racing Development Pedals - Red Wire Looms / Covers - White Axis NE-O 17" Rims - Kumho ECSTA Supra 712 Rubber - Mazdaspeed Exhaust - 35% Tint All Around - Protege' 5 Indiglo Door Sills - Protege' 5 Interior Badging - Alpine SEC-150R Perimiter Alarm - Eurolite Red Underglow - Disabled DRL's - Bug Deflector For Winter - Chrome Gauge Bezel Surrounds - Mazdaspeed / MP3 Lip Splitter (On MP3 Bumper) - Mazdaspeed Protege Badges - iON Performance V-Weave Carbon Fiber Hood - Replacement 2003 J-Spec Headlights - Shaved Side Mouldings - Wings West 3 Piece Kit - Autometer Triple Pod - Autometer Phantom Oil / Water Temp And Oil Press

Comment

Well I'm not going to say if they are worth every penny just yet; the pedal feel sucks right now because of air in my lines. Tomorrow I'm going to get the lines bled, coolant changed, and tranny fluid changed so I will let you know after that.
        Clint/1999 "Sport20"

Comment

Originally posted by Maxx Mazda
          What process did you use to bleed the brake lines?

We pretty much followed that except for the fact they we weren't watching the master cylinder the entire time and let the thing go dry.
          Clint/1999 "Sport20"

Comment

Originally posted by NegatiZE
            http://www.teamscr.com/brakes.htm

We pretty much followed that except for the fact they we weren't watching the master cylinder the entire time and let the thing go dry.
            Any chance that may have let air into the system?

Nick Holinski
            2002 5 Speed Classic Red Protege' 5

Injen CAI - Painted Calipers - Red Hose Kit - Painted Valve Cover And Heat Shield - Factory Color Matched Engine Parts - Red / Black "Powered By Mazda" Shoulder Pads - Sylvania SilverStar High / Lows - Custom Red Rear Blinkers - Levoc Racing Development Pedals - Red Wire Looms / Covers - White Axis NE-O 17" Rims - Kumho ECSTA Supra 712 Rubber - Mazdaspeed Exhaust - 35% Tint All Around - Protege' 5 Indiglo Door Sills - Protege' 5 Interior Badging - Alpine SEC-150R Perimiter Alarm - Eurolite Red Underglow - Disabled DRL's - Bug Deflector For Winter - Chrome Gauge Bezel Surrounds - Mazdaspeed / MP3 Lip Splitter (On MP3 Bumper) - Mazdaspeed Protege Badges - iON Performance V-Weave Carbon Fiber Hood - Replacement 2003 J-Spec Headlights - Shaved Side Mouldings - Wings West 3 Piece Kit - Autometer Triple Pod - Autometer Phantom Oil / Water Temp And Oil Press

Comment

I'm almost positive that's what happened.
              Clint/1999 "Sport20"

Comment

When you take the lines off you have to totally bleed the system. They are totally worth it, I highly recommend them. Too bad I got them for my DX (before I had my LX). Oh well.

I had to dremel the "holder" thing where the brake line clips on to get it to fit properly. The lines are almost perfect except the clip on part seems to be a few mm too big. After that it was a cinch.

I bled out almost all of the brake fluid, after I changed out the lines. It took a long time to bleed the first corner. I usually use Castrol GT-LMA DOT 4. I think that will do the trick for most people.
                2006 Mazda 3 hatchback manual

Comment

dude when i did my lowering springs, i almost took my eye out with one of those clips, they suck lol but good job on the install.
                  .....HELLO MY NAME IS BEN...

186.08whp
                  225.94wtq
                  torque monster!!!!
                  dyno graph 8-10-and 12psi
                  http://www.msprotege.com/members/THE...no%20graph.jpg
                  http://videos.streetfire.net/player....0-C19CA06AF01E dyno vid

blahblahblahblahblahblah

Comment

I just got back from the shop getting my brake system flushed and bled, coolant flushed, and tranny fluid flushed.

The brakes now are AWESOME. The pedal feel is amazing...and I feel like I can modulate the pedal much better. And for only ~80 bucks...it's worth the money.
                    Clint/1999 "Sport20"

Comment

i might just have to do this upgrade, do you notice with the crossdrilled rotors, less brake fade??under heavy braking???
                      .....HELLO MY NAME IS BEN...

186.08whp
                      225.94wtq
                      torque monster!!!!
                      dyno graph 8-10-and 12psi
                      http://www.msprotege.com/members/THE...no%20graph.jpg
                      http://videos.streetfire.net/player....0-C19CA06AF01E dyno vid

blahblahblahblahblahblah

Comment

Haven't really had a chance to test the brakes under real heavy conditions yet. Even at the autocrosses, most of the corners are fairly high speed so the brakes don't come too much into the equation. I can tell you that the SS lines, new rotors, and KVR carbon fiber pads are an excellent upgrade from stock.
                        Clint/1999 "Sport20"

Comment

Working...
                        X