what amp to use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what amp to use?

Ok, i've got two JL Audio 12W0 subwoofers sitting in my garage in a sealed box... I think the subs handle something like 250W a piece right? What would be the best amp, that relatively cheap right now to power them and sound good? TIA.
    -mike lucero
    1988 Mazda 323 GTX
    2001 Isuzu Rodeo

how big are the subs? i have a pair of 12" MTX in a sealed box and the handle in excess of 800W a piece. 250 seams kinda low, but if those are the numbers i would has pick an amp that produces 320W.
    When you turn your car on... does it return the favor?

Originally posted by goldstar
    Yes, still have it. It was my attempt to immortalize you in verse.

A Protege driver named Brock
    Once said 7 seconds he'd clock.
    So his engine he goosed
    With much too much boost,
    And drove a rod through his block.

Comment

the subs are actually rated at 125 watts rms. here's the link:

however the rating is very conservative. the sub will handle a bit more. here's jl's power chart:

the yellow area is the optimum area. since you have them in a sealed box, they will handle more power than the rated 125 watts with low risk of damage. i'd suggest to feed them at least 150-175 watts to truly get the most out of the subs. US acoustics has a nice class D amp that's rated 375x1 @ 2 ohm, which would be perfect if you have the 4 ohm model of the subs.
      The rare domain name TheZeb.com is now available for purchase, lease or rent for your next The Zeb project. The perfect name for your marketing and advertising campaigns.

it's $175, and a nice low 20 amp fuse rating, cause it's a very efficient amp.

Protoss, each sub is different, so they'll each have a different rating. the MTX road thunder 12 handles 200 watts, but the RFL will handle 2000 watts rms.

Comment

JL 250/1

:p

Comment

Rockford 500s
          2000 DX, Blue
          Eibach Pro-Kit, MSP Struts, 16" Kosei's on Honkook Ventus HR-II's(205-45-16), MSP Exhaust, Injen CAI, MSP Strut Tower Bar, NGK Wires
          2 JL Audio 10w3-d4's in a sealed box, Rockford 500s amp, 2 6x9 Pioneer Premier 4-ways, 2 6x8 Kenwood Excelon 3-ways, Rockford 301x amp, Pioneer Premier DEH-P650, Dynamat in some fun places.....

Comment

alpine m500 ok so im biased to alpine.... just run it in parrellel 250 at 2 ohms per sub...not thumping hte block but good sounding im sure

Comment

sorry for the length, scroll down for bottom line

ok I got 2x 10" Kenwoods that peak at 600W a piece. Right now I got a lowely Jensen Amp, 400w - 2 channel 200w I figure roughly.

I would like to go with like a 1000w amp and put 500w into each so not to push the limit but to have a decent amount of bass.

Any suggestions for a good 1000w amp?
              The T3 BP MX-3 conversion has begun, and is taking forever & will kill me.

Comment

I wouldnt put 500w into a 600w amp... i just wouldnt do it...

I would do like a RF 800.4 and bridge it to 2 channel so u get 400x2 at 4 ohm thats doublin the power.... i just wouldnt max out hte power on a sub or get close to it.... thats a max number for a sub model.. every sub has a different max.. it'll be close to 600 but not exactly... so my rule of thumb for me is just dont get within 100 watts of max... im not saying it'll be that off in its max(it owuld probably be around 590 at the lowest) but its just me probably...

BUT if you want a Good 1000w amp alpine m1000 comes out in a few weeks.... i have the m500 and its awsome so the 1000 well yea....

Comment

Re: sorry for the length, scroll down for bottom line

Originally posted by D323
                  ok I got 2x 10" Kenwoods that peak at 600W a piece. Right now I got a lowely Jensen Amp, 400w - 2 channel 200w I figure roughly.

I would like to go with like a 1000w amp and put 500w into each so not to push the limit but to have a decent amount of bass.

Any suggestions for a good 1000w amp?
                  i'd only recomend giving the subs 300 watts rms each, 400 with proper tuning, and you don't get too crazy with the volume. i know JL underrates their subs, which is why i always recomend going over the rated rms power for JL. now kenwood is a different story. IMO their subs are less likely to handle the higher power like JL subs. i'd try to find an amp that will put out 300-400x2 @ 4 ohm, or an amp that will put out 600-800 x1 @ 2 ohm. the US acoutics USX800D puts out 600 x1 @ 2 ohm rms at 12.9 volts, so you know you will be above the 600 watts even when the voltage drops, cause it shouldn't drop below 12.8 volts. http://www.thezeb.com/caraudio/us_acoustics.html
                  unfortunately it's out of stock right now at the zeb, but other sites might have it for about the same price. the autotek SX-2300 would also be a nice choice. a bit more power, but i love autotek equipment. i've been using autotek for 7 years now and have yet to be disappointed:p http://www.thezeb.com/caraudio/autotek.html
                  the 2300 will put out 800 x1 @ 2 ohms:D

Comment

hhhhmmmmmmmmm choices, choices
                    The T3 BP MX-3 conversion has begun, and is taking forever & will kill me.

Comment

autotek sx 2200.
                      -onehawaiian | My 2002 P5 Funk
                      >> NOTHING INSTALLED <<
                      **Team Punani-Luvah**

Comment

Originally posted by 1st MP3 in NH
                        JL 250/1

:p
                        he said cheap jl amps are a thing of bueaty
                        '02 classic red p5
                        currently enrolled in AA.

Comment

Originally posted by walight01
                          he said cheap jl amps are a thing of bueaty
                          If I reme,ber I will have to get a picture of my home office for you :D

Comment

A good inexpensive amp would be Avionixx or Tsunami from Elemental Designs. They seem to have the good sub amps for the money without being over rated or bogus power outputs. For a 12W0 though, a 250.1 is a good choice. The two are meant to be and you may find one on a one of the protege club boards or on Ebay at a good price. It depends on your price range as to what is best for your money though.
                            2001 ES (Featured at SoundDomain)

Pioneer/SoundStream/JBL/Coustic/Elemental Designs/Focal/
                            KnuKonceptz/Lightning Audio/SoundQuest/Tiff/
                            Gel America/Dynamo Deep Cycle Battery/
                            Groundkit

Comment

Working...
                            X