bogs on right handers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bogs on right handers

Maybe you guys can help me out with this one...

My '93 Protege LX had a pretty dirty/clogged fuel pump strainer filter and the tank itself had a lot of dirt/sediment, etc. (the car sat for years). I replaced the strainer and the other fuel filter, I emptied the tank and cleaned it. The car would not rev past 5k before without running out of gas. Now it runs really nice.

I did notice this morning that on right hand turns, the car seems to bog as if it starved from fuel for a moment. The car has right now maybe a bit less than half a tank. The funny thing is that the strainer/fuel pickup face left of center inside the tank, so it would be weird for it to starve on a right hand turn, when fuel is sloshed to the left. I'll test more later, but so far, I can't say that it does it on left hand turns. Also, the fuel tank has a baffled "bucket" where the pump and its fuel pickup sits to prevent sloshing problems.

Am I missing something?

Could it be the VAF instead of being fuel related?

i had a similiar issue. it went away after a while, new FPR i relocated my VAF, new sensors, fuel pump... i dont knwo which thing did it. the relocation of the VAF is weat i think did it.
    When you turn your car on... does it return the favor?

Originally posted by goldstar
    Yes, still have it. It was my attempt to immortalize you in verse.

A Protege driver named Brock
    Once said 7 seconds he'd clock.
    So his engine he goosed
    With much too much boost,
    And drove a rod through his block.

Comment

I have an MX-6 VAF (same size as RX-7) ready to go in, but I want to install it as part of a complete intake and I need a throttle body to VAF tube, so maybe for now I'll just open the stock VAF and adjust the flapper door tension, unless someone can explain this better.

I'm going to fill up the tank to see if it goes away with a full tank. That will tell me if it is a fuel pickup problem.

If anyone else has experienced this or has any suggestions, please let me know!

Comment

Actually, now I'm not sure if the strainer/fuel pickup sits on the left side or the right side. I *think* it sits on the left side, but I could be wrong...

Comment

mine dies around any corners or sharp movements diverting away from a straight line.....IE changing lanes quick....

im replacing the gas tank and soon to be the fuelfilter.
          ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
          he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Does anyone think it might be the fuel pump itself?

Comment

hehe, you've found the right hander fuel starve issue.

They all do it, and it's always right handers, and you need about a half tank to make it stop.

Sucks, huh?

Sounds like Fuel Cell is in your future
              "Never run out of real estate, traction & ideas at the same time"
              -93 MR2, 129 ES
              ClubProtege.com Tech Articles

Originally posted by WTF
              Remember low compression makes more space for AIR, HEEELLOOOO!

Comment

Wow ive never heard of this issue. Now i gotta test mine out lol ..Jon

Comment

Originally posted by JesseSays
                  hehe, you've found the right hander fuel starve issue.

They all do it, and it's always right handers, and you need about a half tank to make it stop.

Sucks, huh?

Sounds like Fuel Cell is in your future
                  DOH!

Man, that really sucks! So it's "normal"?

Anyway, I checked the pump assembly again today. The strainer basically sits flush with the bottom of the baffled tank, with the pump pickup on the right side. Since the strainer obviously has holes in it, when fuel sloshes to the left on a right hand turn, the side that has the pickup is left out in the air.

I was about to order a fuel pump.

I'll have to think more about this. This is unaceptable. :p

Maybe I'll have to re-design the baffles or add fuel cell foam to the baffled bowl to prevent the sloshing or add some kind of big fuel filter to act as a reservoir.

Oh well...

Jesse, is this a 1st gen thing only or do 2nd (or 3rd) gens also have this issue?

I looked at the parts diagrams that MazdaComp has for the 2nd and the 3rd gens and they seem to show the pickup tube centered and the strainer facing towards the front or rear of the car.

Gotta love this place. You guys are a great resource! :D
                  Last edited by cortez; 09-02-2003, 08:27 PM.

Comment

mine does it as well
                    James G.
                    sobe83@yahoo.com
                    AIM: DVS 323BPT
                    MySpace
                    Cardomain
                    <BR>

<marquee>Turbonetics T3/T4, RC 550cc injectors, Walbro fuel pump, SSAutochrome Miata manifold, Tial 35mm wastegate, large FMIC, Apex-I SAFC, GReddy Type S BOV, 2.5" aluminum charge pipes, NGK plugs/wires, RX-7 VAM, 3" turbo-back exhaust, ARP head studs, H&R Springs, S/R struts, Sony XPlod deck-2/12" subs, Power Acoustic 800w amp, Pioneer speakers, Evo front bumper, ADR DV8 17" wheels.</marquee>

Comment

MY car does it, but on left turns, damn fords.
                      00 dakota 4x4
                      90 crx si - ls/vtec

Comment

I've asked around a little more on this, but there is no know complete solution.

ITA cars have gone to fuel cell to solve it. Mazda Motorsports says there is no known solution.

Using some fuel cell foam is supposed to help a little bit and also bending the support for the pump is supposed to help a little bit.

I was waiting for my tank to get low again and I was going to try to wiggle some aluminum sheet in there and using self tapping screws, add a lid to the left half of the baffled tank and also add some fuel cell foam and bend the pump support, but the gas tank is now down to about 1/4 tank left and I can't get the car to starve for fuel now! I've been trying, taking the same right handers that I was taking last week, trying to force the issue and the car just moves along, no problem at all. I don't know what changed. I remember that the rubber ring that held the pump to the support was looking pretty bad, so I wonder if it broke and the pump is now "dangling" by the output hose and connector, so it can swivel when the car takes a turn...

I am reluctant to take a look, since I might "undo" what is making it work good now. If I get it to starve or something happens, then I'll go back in. I have a new pump at home and everything else to do what I was planning on doing. Worse case, I'll be back where I was before and I guess I can live with that if I have to.

Comment

Working...
                        X