Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It feals Odd, but I am not sure (modifying cars)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It feals Odd, but I am not sure (modifying cars)

I often find myself thinking and wondering, if it even makes sense. I was speaking to Sir Nuke about this and we had an interesting conversation.
    Modifying Our cars. I often even wonder if it is worth it. We spend money on paint for the interior, we spend money on rims and tires. We spend money on shocks, spring, sway bars, and strut bars. I often start to wonder . Is it really WORTH IT.

There are times when I just feal like getting a newer car, whether mazda or another brand (Audi A4,Acura CL, Lexus IS) and the biggest thing I would do is put in a mp3 player and better speakers. After that I would just drive the car and that's it.

This often comes to mind, becuase to be quite frank with you, I don't like to spend money. When it comes to certain things I am just cheap. I believe in saving as much as you can for the important things. This is why I don't even know if I will be into modifying my car very much after the end of this year. You spend so much money on these cars and when you look back at it. If you had put the money for rims, the money for tires.. say 1000 + the money for exhaust 200 to 250. and so on and so on ...

I know modifying our cars is supposed to be fun, But the more I sit and think about the money that I have spent modifying my car I could have a seriously fat bank account. Even though I still save and put money aside, I d o realize that I could have been so much farther ahead

I don't know how many others feal the same way, but I just feal that their are other priorites at hand.
    Bruce
    photo album|photo album 2 (pbase)

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

i know one of the biggest reasons i modify my car is to keep myself busy:D i can be very ADD when it comes to most stuff, but i just seem to calm down when designing a stereo, or washing my car, or working on the interior. not to mention it feels so good when others compliment you on your car. yeah, my car isn't worth much anymore, but i know everything that's been done was done by me except the exhaust, though i've already decided that if i get a new car, i'm going to keep my protege to work on:D

Comment

Yep i feel the same way.... cars = money holes... oh well guess we all have to have expensive hobbies

Comment

I was an apprentice mechanic for a while. It seemed to be the thing I wanted to do, but at the time I didn't have a car and it almost seems now that it was "filling a hole" if you will, where I had the desire to work on cars but since I didn't have my own, I filled that hole by fixing other people's cars. Now I've got my car and I love spending money on it, even though that money is very limited. I still fix my friend's cars from time to time, but I don't like it nearly as much as working on my own.

Bruce, look at it like this: you could have spent all that money on Booze, whores, drugs and ****. Not that I've got a problem with anyof those, but that would all be gone. Spending your money on your car at least you've still got something at the end of the night besides a hangover or a rash.
        Ryan The middle child is always ignored
        BP powered 97LX Touring Edition
        Vibrant strut tower brace, KVR front brake pads, Tungsram Megalicht H4 headlight bulbs, Phillips Halogen H3 foglight bulbs.... 91 GT rims w/ 195 60 14 Yokohomo Mirada GTX sport

Comment

Originally posted by midnightblue97
          I was an apprentice mechanic for a while. It seemed to be the thing I wanted to do, but at the time I didn't have a car and it almost seems now that it was "filling a hole" if you will, where I had the desire to work on cars but since I didn't have my own, I filled that hole by fixing other people's cars. Now I've got my car and I love spending money on it, even though that money is very limited. I still fix my friend's cars from time to time, but I don't like it nearly as much as working on my own.

Bruce, look at it like this: you could have spent all that money on Booze, whores, drugs and ****. Not that I've got a problem with anyof those, but that would all be gone. Spending your money on your car at least you've still got something at the end of the night besides a hangover or a rash.
          But if you read my original post you would have seen that I was saying that I would or could have put that money in the bank. If you figure it like this , You save your money and ok maybe you get a set of rims and tires. After that you just chill. When you need a new set of tires that's when you go into the savings and get the dough together, but otherwise you purchase WHAT YOU NEED. and save for that rainy day or to get your house or whatever.

My thing is that my mind is matureing more and more everyday and that is why I tend to see certain things as a waste. Like ok I was thinking about getting racing seats. but then I thought to myself. For what? do I need racing seats? what is wrong with the seats I have? why am I dousing so much money in the fires? when it could go in my savings account and boost that by 500 bucks.
          Now do you see where I am coming from.
          I am not knocking other people that do mod their car and spend money on their cars, but this is the fealing I tend to get.

I have to honestly think that slowly but surely my mind is changing away from modifying. It's not like my love for cars is gone, it's just that I feal like my priorities are just changing. This is what Sir Nuke brought to my attention .. I tell you speaking to him is great, because you can see and feal the maturity.

I don't know what will happen . Sometimes I feal that their will be a time that I may disappear from the net. and the boards.
          I just have to roll with the ball and see where my life takes me and what decissions(sp) I make

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

Yeah, I see what you're getting at. The first part of my post was more of "my position on the modding stuff".

I guess you're getting old bruce :D
            enjoy the golden years
            Ryan The middle child is always ignored
            BP powered 97LX Touring Edition
            Vibrant strut tower brace, KVR front brake pads, Tungsram Megalicht H4 headlight bulbs, Phillips Halogen H3 foglight bulbs.... 91 GT rims w/ 195 60 14 Yokohomo Mirada GTX sport

Comment

modding for me, is like it is for blue...something calming, something that can ease the day away, something the relaxes me like malibu and coke does, without the headache in the morning...its something that nothing else can do, and i thank mazda for making the pro

Comment

Originally posted by iwokeupfrmadrea
                modding for me, is like it is for blue...something calming, something that can ease the day away, something the relaxes me like malibu and coke does, without the headache in the morning...its something that nothing else can do, and i thank mazda for making the pro
                I thank god for making women , I get the same feeling from them and don't spend cash ...
                Bruce

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

Originally posted by midnightblue97
                  Yeah, I see what you're getting at. The first part of my post was more of "my position on the modding stuff".

I guess you're getting old bruce :D
                  enjoy the golden years
                  not really getting old. I am only 25 .. 26 next week
                  but I just kinda feal like somethings are just not as important as they used to be .
                  b

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

****, women cost more in the long run than any car. Think of the psychological costs!
                    2002 Silver ES 5-Speed
                    1983 F-150 351W

Comment

lmfao good point...and when u add up dates, movies, limo rentals, condom costs etc...women do cost a lot

Comment

movies. --- we can watch them at my house....
                        I got mad movies on the cpu next to the BED ...

Condoms -- no big deal there ...

it depends on which women, some I don't mess with and I try to spend as little as possible when it comes to going out and I often hit them with "I'm broke"

And please don't tell me women are more expensive than cars.
                        Rims are how much ....
                        race seats cost ...
                        engine swap with turbo is ummm how much ....

1 good night of sex ..
                        4hours in hotel 30 bux.
                        pack o rubs .. 10 bux.
                        dropping her ass home afterwards--priceless.

Bruce

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

Originally posted by bruce95fmla
                          not really getting old. I am only 25 .. 26 next week
                          but I just kinda feal like somethings are just not as important as they used to be .
                          b
                          but you are getting old bruce, we all are

it is called the Quarter Life Crisis, where you realize what you do RIGHT NOW, will directly affect how well off you will be when you are 40 years old.

personally, I'd rather spend my time DRIVING the damn thing (and not having it break down constantly) than keep dumping money in it and having it in the shop every other 3 days.
                          Last edited by ZoomZoomH; 09-03-2003, 03:54 PM.

'04 Titanium RX-8

Comment

yeah...just remember that exhilaration you get when you are driving, and everything is clicking perfectly-u shift at the right moment, the road twists where it needs to, the engine purrs in its sweet spot and all of a sudden u feel that where you are, right then, is where u always want to be-thats what modding your car is about, not the shows, not the money, not the glory and not the fame...that period of time when nothing else in the world matters

my .0000000000000195764564 cents

Comment

Originally posted by iwokeupfrmadrea
                              yeah...just remember that exhilaration you get when you are driving, and everything is clicking perfectly-u shift at the right moment, the road twists where it needs to, the engine purrs in its sweet spot and all of a sudden u feel that where you are, right then, is where u always want to be-thats what modding your car is about, not the shows, not the money, not the glory and not the fame...that period of time when nothing else in the world matters

my .0000000000000195764564 cents
                              That is actually a really good point. Regardless, I do feel the same way nowadays. Modding cars is a hobby and should be treated as that. No hobby sucks up 50% of your monthly paycheck and it shouldn't IMO. The money spent on modding, little or a lot, do pay off in one way or another. You learn something along the way, you have fun installing that damn sway bar and you enjoy it even more once it is on. Is it worth it? That's up to you to decide. You've done a lot to your Protege and maybe you need to slow down a bit. I know that I am almost done with my car. I've invested a lot of cash into it and am satisfied.......for now. Sure, I'll still be spending 50 bucks here and there but I sure as hell am not going to be buying rims for $900 again............
                              -------------------------
                              '91 LX
                              '03 Mazdaspeed Protege #235
                              -------------------------

Originally posted by pigeon
                              well if you're a fan of inaccuracy and uncertainty.... then by all means, go set your timing by feel and sound

while you're out there, you might as well adjust your air/fuel ratio by smell... and your tire pressure by ride height

Comment

Working...
                              X