upgrade questions???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

upgrade questions???

Ok...now about them wires. What is the advantage of getting different ones?? I mean is it worth the upgrade??? Also... the adjustable cam gear!! Is it worth the money for it? What signficanence would it do for my 1.5L????
    DO WHAT YOU DO!!!

If you're talking about spark plug wires there was a really long thread about it on protegeclub, and I believe the consensus is that theres really no performance gains from different spark plug wires, i feel its just a maintenance thing.

As for the cam gear, if you have a timing light and know how to adjust it, (i believe it goes down to fractions of a minutes or seconds) either way you need someone that has experience with this to get any gains. On a 1.5 I don't see any huge gains.

This is an IF... if i were to get the toda cam for the bp miata, i would invest in adj. cam gears since i would not be doing the work myself for that installation, for i do not trust myself with lifters and shims if needed. thats something for an experienced mechanic or a gearhead beyond what i can presently perform.

Anyway, I don't see a real need for it on a stock 1.5. let alone my engine right now.
    95 ES
    05 S60R

Comment

ok...thanks alot... can you get the bp miata cams for the 1.5???
      DO WHAT YOU DO!!!

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX
        ok...thanks alot... can you get the bp miata cams for the 1.5???
        NO..
        BP = 1.8
        Z5 = 1.5
        Bruce
        photo album|photo album 2 (pbase)

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

Z5 engine god damn I hate this engine... want straight 6...hmm would that even fit?

Anyway.. are there ANY engine performance parts for besides the intake and the newly discovered chip?

Comment

ya you can custom build a turbo!!! I've looked into the manifold for this project and they were talking about 900 plus shiping for the manifold and down pipe.

Heres the orginal email from them:

thanks for the interest in our Protege products.
            what whp / boost will you be running? The reason i ask is our log style turbo manifold will efficently flow at 12 psi..anything over we'd prefer to go tubular.
            costs;
            log style: 400.00 can.
            tubular(equal length) :550.00 can.
            downpipe 2.5" dia. going to stock loaction is 400.00 can.
            keep in mind all material is 304 ss with machined surfaces and prices do not include shipping and taxes.
            to start i'd need the amount in full and the address to ship to..
            completion/delivery time would be 1-2 weeks from receipt of funds.
            thanks again for the interest,

Karen & Kevin Liphard

"When Speed is Essential"

if any question email them for more answers!!!
            DO WHAT YOU DO!!!

Comment

ya you can custom build a turbo!!! I've looked into the manifold for this project and they were talking about 900 plus shiping for the manifold and down pipe.

Heres the orginal email from them:

thanks for the interest in our Protege products.
              what whp / boost will you be running? The reason i ask is our log style turbo manifold will efficently flow at 12 psi..anything over we'd prefer to go tubular.
              costs;
              log style: 400.00 can.
              tubular(equal length) :550.00 can.
              downpipe 2.5" dia. going to stock loaction is 400.00 can.
              keep in mind all material is 304 ss with machined surfaces and prices do not include shipping and taxes.
              to start i'd need the amount in full and the address to ship to..
              completion/delivery time would be 1-2 weeks from receipt of funds.
              thanks again for the interest,

Karen & Kevin Liphard

"When Speed is Essential"

if any question email them for more answers!!!
              Hmmm, does this mean that my car gets to be a guiena pig soon????

CLICK HERE FOR PICS
              1.8L 97 LX (CDN)
              Erebuni kit, JDM heads/corners/tails/hood scoop, 17" BSA 259 w/ Khumo Ecstas, KYB GR2 struts, Apex springs, Ractive X-drilled/slotted rotors, KVR C/F pads, EssentialSpeed CAI, Essentialspeed custom cat-back (y-piped with dual Vibrant mufflers), Clutch Masters clutch, touring wing, Vibrant F/R strut bar, AWR 21.5mm rear sway bar, indiglo gauges, Sparco wheel/shift knob, custom interior, TomMotorsports 'BRIDE' seats, Innovatek DVD-0181 DVD/CD/MP3/etc player, Innovatek IN-720 7" indash LCD, 'MZDASPD' plates

Comment

good Q... but would htey actaully ned the car and not just the pieces....in that case just go to a junkyard and get those pieces and ship them to em...

Comment

Originally posted by asylum24
                  good Q... but would htey actaully ned the car and not just the pieces....in that case just go to a junkyard and get those pieces and ship them to em...
                  What I meant was that I am already the R&D car for Essentialspeed. I get to be the guiena pig for parts that people want made (ie, cold air intake)

CLICK HERE FOR PICS
                  1.8L 97 LX (CDN)
                  Erebuni kit, JDM heads/corners/tails/hood scoop, 17" BSA 259 w/ Khumo Ecstas, KYB GR2 struts, Apex springs, Ractive X-drilled/slotted rotors, KVR C/F pads, EssentialSpeed CAI, Essentialspeed custom cat-back (y-piped with dual Vibrant mufflers), Clutch Masters clutch, touring wing, Vibrant F/R strut bar, AWR 21.5mm rear sway bar, indiglo gauges, Sparco wheel/shift knob, custom interior, TomMotorsports 'BRIDE' seats, Innovatek DVD-0181 DVD/CD/MP3/etc player, Innovatek IN-720 7" indash LCD, 'MZDASPD' plates

Comment

kris , he has a 1.5 you have the 1.8 ...

it's just really different
                    Bruce

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

So since you are the Gp, do you get the parts taht other people want for free? like if wanted a custom intake that was mounted like an intercooler (forgot what the damn things are called) would they use your car, make the piece, send it to me and would you get the thing also... or what exactly do you get out of it?

Comment

Originally posted by asylum24
                        So since you are the Gp, do you get the parts taht other people want for free? like if wanted a custom intake that was mounted like an intercooler (forgot what the damn things are called) would they use your car, make the piece, send it to me and would you get the thing also... or what exactly do you get out of it?
                        What I get is the parts at a discounted price (if I want that part). In the past, I basically pay cost on the materials used and not the labour. I also get INPUT on the product themselves as I know MY car better than any shop (A-spec and Corksport excluded).
                        Also, in return, ES gets a car and a customer that doesnt bitch because the fitment on the prottype isnt perfect or they took an extra week to finsih the part.

What you are talking about is a frount-mount intake. What they would do would be for me to drop my car off and basically build from scratch a FMIntake that best suits our car. He meticulsly writes down every degree and every cut until he has a finished product. The product would be tested on my car for say, a week, and then the intake would be returned to ES so that he could either make a jig off of it, or, like in this case, if I didnt want it, he would keep it. You would then receive a brand new FMIntake built to the same specs as the finished prototype. At that point, when you place your order, you can also elect to have your intake powder coated in any colour or have it ceramic coated (recomended) and have it polished. It could also be chromed too if you like. Of course, these finishes are at an additional cost.

CLICK HERE FOR PICS
                        1.8L 97 LX (CDN)

Comment

Re: upgrade questions???

Ok...now about them wires. What is the advantage of getting different ones?? I mean is it worth the upgrade??? Also... the adjustable cam gear!! Is it worth the money for it? What signficanence would it do for my 1.5L????
                          ok.

1. if u want really gains (on fuel economy) u can upgrade from the stock wires to performance wires and buy a MSD or something like this. if u only put the wires u dont look the changes.

2. about the cam gear..well..you should buy first camshafts and after this u can put an aftermarket cam gear. cam gears with stock cams = no much gains.

3. i dont think that the Z5 have aftermarket cams.
                          Last edited by zorlac7; 10-09-2003, 09:45 PM.

Comment

BTW..this Z5 are the 1.5L DOHC right ??

how much HP and torque have ? rpms ?

i think that a 1.5L is a bad platform if u think only N/A for ur car.

Comment

Hey you guys, if you want spare cams to regrind or whatever. I have my Z5 that I am going to junk soon.. You can have the cams out of that for 10 dollars plus shipping...

Anything else on it you can have for 5 bucks plus shipping ..

spare parts can't hurt
                              Bruce

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

Working...
                              X