Engine Oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine Oil

Ive got a question. Pretty stupid but I was in Miami on friday and one of the guys in the club listened to the slight tickin of my runnin engine and asked what grade of oil I was usin which is 10W-30 castrol. Never had any problems and I have cleaned it out a few times. He said the grade I was usin is too thick for the engine and that I need to use 5w-30... Have I been damagin my baby with the wrong oil?
    any info would be appreciated..I mean have you ever heard of this?
    Sagaris

I've been using Mobil 1 10W30 for the entire life of the car. That's what the manual says, so that's what it's getting.
    Clint/1999 "Sport20"

Comment

Yeah same here. I dont know what he was talking about. Does youe engine have a slightly liquid tick? Mines had it ever since I can remember
      Sagaris

Comment

When it's idling? Yeah I think, but it's always done that.
        Clint/1999 "Sport20"

Comment

I never really noticed it and I freaked over it but no one @ the dealership seemed phased by it. And she still runs fine. Ok thanks Neg
          Sagaris

Comment

No problem!
            Clint/1999 "Sport20"

Comment

I believe the ticking is just the valves opening and closing...nothing to worry about, we can all hear it :D

By the way, I too use Mobil 1 10W-30 and no problems yet!

Comment

I also use M1 10W-30 in Florida, no problems although I do notice the ticking noise.

Now you've got me thinking that ticking might go away if I use 5W, so I might try it next time.
                -Chris
                '02 Black Mica LX

Comment

I use 10w-30 also , nothing wrong ever.
                  2k4 Rally White Mazda 3 Hatchback

Sound By CDT , powered by DLS-CA23
                  Bass by Elemental Design, powered by HIFONICS

Comment

Originally posted by Motegi
                    Yeah same here. I dont know what he was talking about. Does youe engine have a slightly liquid tick? Mines had it ever since I can remember
                    Mine does that. I guess I just thought of it as "the Mazda noise," because my old B2000 sounded exactly the same.
                    I'll probably go to 5w30 this winter, if I have to park outside, but right now I'm pretty sure it's running on 10w30.
                    ~Mark.
                    2002 Protege DX 5 speed, "Kenmore White," well-loved and a little over half paid-for

Comment

I use Mobil 1 5W-30, tick is still there. Normal noise, nothing to be afraid of. But 10W-30 is pretty thick for using a synthetic, you guys running that may want to go to 5W instead.

Almost every engine I have ever listened to makes that noise, although on the nicer ones it is less pronounced from the outside and impossible to hear the motor on the inside.
                      2002 Silver ES 5-Speed
                      1983 F-150 351W

Comment

i've been using 5W30 for the entire life of my car, and i listen for that noise as a judgement for changing the oil when the oil gets old, the engine just seems louder. then with a change to fresh mobile 1 5W30, it's quieter and smoother:D before mobile one i was using castrol GTX, though.

Comment

Like BlueLEDz I've been running 5w30 in the car since I've had it... switched over to synthetic (Mobil 1) at ~12k miles (I think that is when it was). The ticking is still there I noticed it when the car was only a few weeks old and have not worried about it since....

5w30 or 10w30 are both deemed "correct" weights for my car based on the owner's manual... I chose the 5w30 as it does not get all that hot out here in western NY.
                          --JJB--
                          '02 Silver Protegé5 - 5sp - no performance mods, no plans for them
                          Kenwood Z919 -- Polk Audio speakers
                          16" alloys w/ 205/50 Bridgestone RE750 (summer)
                          15" steels w/ 195/55 Bridgestone Blizzak LM22 (winter)

Moon roof - wind deflector - variable intermittent wipers - electrochromic mirror w/ temp & compass
                          Winter/beater car: 1997 Mercury Mountaineer with 182k on it

Comment

yeah i use 10w30 synthetic, and i dog my car, lol no problems yet.
                            .....HELLO MY NAME IS BEN...

186.08whp
                            225.94wtq
                            torque monster!!!!
                            dyno graph 8-10-and 12psi
                            http://www.msprotege.com/members/THE...no%20graph.jpg
                            http://videos.streetfire.net/player....0-C19CA06AF01E dyno vid

blahblahblahblahblahblah

Comment

Mobil1 10W30, for the entire life span of my car.

The only difference between the two oils, is 5W30 flows better in cold temperature. And 10W30 likes when its a bit warmer. So, unless you have OCD, go with whatever you like, otherwise stick with the owners manual.
                              "Probable impossibilities are to be preferred to improbable possibilities."

Comment

Working...
                              X