replacing alternator/ps belts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

replacing alternator/ps belts

i am going to be replacing my alternator and power steering belts tomorrow since they are squeeling really bad and it's pissin me off. i'm wondering, are there any tricks to get them off easily? anyone know of a step-by-step process to follow? or maybe a website with pics and a how-to?
    '04 altima 2.5s sonoma sunset

Nismo CAI
    18" ASA AR1's wrapped in Dunlop Direzza 225/45WR18

I usually pull the entire PS bracket off to get the belts off easy (3 17mm Bolts), then you can loosen the tensioners to get the new ones back on quickly. Make sure the car is cooled down because you'll have to work very closely to the engine and stick your hands in tight spots.
    -Braden
    '05 WRX

GTX Groupbuy is Closed! However you can still pick up a GTX motor for only $925!!! PM me for order details!

Comment

well, i did the belts today, not too bad. took me a lot longer though cuz i got the wrong belt. i work at a car dealership so i order my stuff through there, and we get our stuff from carquest. they sent one p/s belt, but it was 4 inches too short, i was like, uh ok. so we called them back, and they had another listing for a '91 pro that was a little longer. so we got that one and bingo, it works. i have a question though, by just replacing the belts could it make the car quicker? it sure feels like it did, it feels like it revs quicker.

Nismo CAI

Comment

Originally posted by sileighty21
        well, i did the belts today, not too bad. took me a lot longer though cuz i got the wrong belt. i work at a car dealership so i order my stuff through there, and we get our stuff from carquest. they sent one p/s belt, but it was 4 inches too short, i was like, uh ok. so we called them back, and they had another listing for a '91 pro that was a little longer. so we got that one and bingo, it works. i have a question though, by just replacing the belts could it make the car quicker? it sure feels like it did, it feels like it revs quicker.
        Betcha they sent you the belt for a car with no A/C. It's possible, if you're belts were slipping enough, that you eliminated some of the power the accesories will sap.
        2006 Mazda 3 hatchback manual

Comment

Betcha they sent you the belt for a car with no A/C.
          i don't have ac, but this would make sense. i sure wish i had it though, it kinda sucks sitting at stop lights when it's hot out. i keep saying my next car is going to have a/c and a sunroof too.

Nismo CAI

Comment

Originally posted by sileighty21
            i don't have ac, but this would make sense. i sure wish i had it though, it kinda sucks sitting at stop lights when it's hot out. i keep saying my next car is going to have a/c and a sunroof too.
            shoot I hear ya there...
            The protege has A/C and tints.
            but the 323 has neither.. and god are stop lights a bitch lol
            photo album|photo album 2 (pbase)

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

protege a/c isnt that great lol...i rarely use it...it does help tho when its really hot...keeps u from dying i guess

Comment

Originally posted by iwokeupfrmadrea
                protege a/c isnt that great lol...i rarely use it...it does help tho when its really hot...keeps u from dying i guess
                That's why you need tint good budy
                photo album|photo album 2 (pbase)

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

does it make a real dif?

Comment

Window tint can make a HUGE difference. Now don't expect it to be an icebox when you get in after it sitting in the parking lot all day, but you can count on it cooling down MUCH faster once you do get in and start moving. Plus it protects the fabic from fading, dash from cracking and glass from shattering all over the place in the event of an accident or just a smashed window. Can also protect your skin if your fair skinned or have a skin issue with the sun.

Also, Metallized tint is the way to go. Charcoal cheap **** does not have good (if any) heat blocking.

Damn, Brian, i'll trade ya :D (well, my A/C dosen't work, but it's all there and functional, juts not cold) i wish i had the LX without A/C and a sunroof in a 5sp....

Also, jusy an FYI, for how little the factory belts cost, it's a real good idea to get the OEM belts. I've had a problem once with belts and that was the only time i ever bought non-factory belts...YMMV

Comment

wow...so can i get that bling mirror tint?

Comment

Originally posted by MazdaRacer
                        Window tint can make a HUGE difference. Now don't expect it to be an icebox when you get in after it sitting in the parking lot all day, but you can count on it cooling down MUCH faster once you do get in and start moving. Plus it protects the fabic from fading, dash from cracking and glass from shattering all over the place in the event of an accident or just a smashed window. Can also protect your skin if your fair skinned or have a skin issue with the sun.

Also, Metallized tint is the way to go. Charcoal cheap **** does not have good (if any) heat blocking.

Damn, Brian, i'll trade ya :D (well, my A/C dosen't work, but it's all there and functional, juts not cold) i wish i had the LX without A/C and a sunroof in a 5sp....

Also, jusy an FYI, for how little the factory belts cost, it's a real good idea to get the OEM belts. I've had a problem once with belts and that was the only time i ever bought non-factory belts...YMMV
                        Any way to transfer my A/C over to you? LOL, I think it's gotta come out ....

My dealer wanted $50 for one of the belts. *shrug*

Comment

Originally posted by charles
                          Any way to transfer my A/C over to you? LOL, I think it's gotta come out ....

My dealer wanted $50 for one of the belts. *shrug*
                          I don't want the A/C but thanks. I plan to take it out once i figure out how. i haven't even really looked at it yet....

IIRC, the 2 belts were $22 and $13 at the dealer, that may have been a discounted price, but even $10 more is a good deal for OEM. I don't remember what the timing belt cost, $50 or more maybe...

Comment

ok, this has been annoying me latley, what the hell does IIRC mean?
                            James G.
                            sobe83@yahoo.com
                            AIM: DVS 323BPT
                            MySpace
                            Cardomain
                            <BR>

<marquee>Turbonetics T3/T4, RC 550cc injectors, Walbro fuel pump, SSAutochrome Miata manifold, Tial 35mm wastegate, large FMIC, Apex-I SAFC, GReddy Type S BOV, 2.5" aluminum charge pipes, NGK plugs/wires, RX-7 VAM, 3" turbo-back exhaust, ARP head studs, H&R Springs, S/R struts, Sony XPlod deck-2/12" subs, Power Acoustic 800w amp, Pioneer speakers, Evo front bumper, ADR DV8 17" wheels.</marquee>

Comment

Originally posted by MazdaRacer
                              I don't want the A/C but thanks. I plan to take it out once i figure out how. i haven't even really looked at it yet....

IIRC, the 2 belts were $22 and $13 at the dealer, that may have been a discounted price, but even $10 more is a good deal for OEM. I don't remember what the timing belt cost, $50 or more maybe...
                              IIRC == if I recall correctly

Yeah, the dealers here are terrible at markups ... oil filter -- $10 ??? In a way, Santa Barbara is in the middle of nowhere. Or, at the very least, you can't comparison shop between two dealers of the same marque.

Comment

Working...
                              X