Oil change, like having a new car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil change, like having a new car

I found this kind of strange. My car has about 14,000 miles on it now. I had the first 2 oil changed done at the dealership so I could bitch about the clutch chatter they don't want to fix. I recently got my 3rd oil change and I went to a place down the street where I used to get my oil changed in my last car.

I got the car back and it felt totally different. The engine revs smoother and faster than ever before. Also I think I am getting better mileage. I averaged around 28-29mpg with 30.5 being the best. I had half a tank when I got the oil changed and I was at about 280-290 miles which is usual for the mileage I usually get. By then time I am at 1/4 tank I have 330 miles on that tank. I ended up getting 32 MPG and I was actually driving harder since the engine revved smoother. I will have to wait to see what the current tank gets to see if the MPG increase was just some weird thing.

I don't know what happened but I thought it was weird. I don't think they put in synthetic because they didn't charge me for it. I guess they could have made a mistake. But other than that why would my car change like that?
    02 Protege ES

Seems a bit odd, ask them what they use for oil.

Comment

Just keep going back to that place and don't worry about it.

Seriously though, If they didn't use synthetic, that's pretty strange.
      -Chris
      '02 Black Mica LX

Comment

Yeah, I'm not to worried about it. They use Castrol and Mobile for oils. Maybe they just messed up and gave me synthetic. I just thought I would post since there weren't many posts yet. But I hope I keep getting 32MPG.
        02 Protege ES

Comment

yeah i just changed my oil like week ago, and i felt a diffrence in the smoothness, and revving, used full synthetic.
          .....HELLO MY NAME IS BEN...

186.08whp
          225.94wtq
          torque monster!!!!
          dyno graph 8-10-and 12psi
          http://www.msprotege.com/members/THE...no%20graph.jpg
          http://videos.streetfire.net/player....0-C19CA06AF01E dyno vid

blahblahblahblahblahblah

Comment

Originally posted by THEGOLDPRO
            yeah i just changed my oil like week ago, and i felt a diffrence in the smoothness, and revving, used full synthetic.
            Full synthetic all the way! woo hoo!

Comment

Synthetic Mobil 1 10W30 oil made a huge difference the first time I put it in my Protege....I do not mind paying the extra money when I change my oil myself. Besides, if you change the oil yourself and use synthetic, it comes out to about the same price as you would have to get it changed at a shop that uses dino oil.
              Clint/1999 "Sport20"

Comment

I don't care for full synthetic, but I do know what you are talking about. I usually change the oil in the protege myself , but one day I took it down to the local Castrol and man when they were done the car felt like a frigin race car... woooo ,,reved so smooth , ideled different ...
                it was sweet .
                and this was on an engine that was loosing compression and smoking its balls out.
                Bruce
                photo album|photo album 2 (pbase)

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

Originally posted by NegatiZE
                  Synthetic Mobil 1 10W30 oil made a huge difference the first time I put it in my Protege....I do not mind paying the extra money when I change my oil myself. Besides, if you change the oil yourself and use synthetic, it comes out to about the same price as you would have to get it changed at a shop that uses dino oil.
                  I use the 15W-50 full synthetic Mobile one, too. Good stuff.
                  Turbos are fun :D

Comment

keep changing it and it'll get even better.
                    soon u'll think ur in a bentley. :D

f'real tho, it makes a huge difference.
                    -onehawaiian | My 2002 P5 Funk
                    >> NOTHING INSTALLED <<
                    **Team Punani-Luvah**

Comment

I flushed out my 1.8 engine and then flushed it again with a Quart of Mystery Oil ..

You should see inside with the valve cover off....
                      sparkling lol
                      I have to work on the car tonight and tomorrow night if I have to ...
                      trying my best to get the car to kent
                      Bruce
                      photo album|photo album 2 (pbase)

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

Originally posted by THEGOLDPRO
                        So, synthetic oil helps performance? I thought it was, simply, for protection.

Comment

Well I finally filled up again today and I got 28.5MPG which is what I used to get. I don't know what happened that I got such good mileage with that tank.

I can't beleive it took me this long before needing to fill up. I haven't been driving at all lately.
                          02 Protege ES

Comment

This reminds me to get mine done... im like 500 miles over due :/

Comment

Originally posted by asylum24
                              This reminds me to get mine done... im like 500 miles over due :/
                              same here, my car is doing some weird stuff
                              and doesn't rev smoothly,
                              i think i am around 450-550 miles over the 3000 miles ago

Mods :

Racing Beats Springs...Racing beat Exhast (catback)...Boston Accoustics...50% tint all over ...Piaa superwhite fog lights...blue neon under seats... mesh grill (looks good, see for your self)...6cd OEM changer...blue engine loom in engine...clear corner turn signals...Kenwood amp(600W)

My car gallery

My car in silver

CRV.... Sold....sniff, sniff

Comment

Working...
                              X