X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nos

so what exactly is it?
    Tag Team

well NOS is a brand of N20 systems owned by Holley....

but im thinking you wanted to know what Nitros Oxide is... so in that case in simple terms... its a fuel addiditve that basicially u hit at WOT(wide open throttle[flooring it]) by a button that activates a CPU that then sprays the gas in to your intake making your car accelerate your car. there are a few types... Dry and wet kits... most popular is the NX dry kit and the ZEX wet kit.... most people like dry better than wet simply because some people believe that wet isnt as good for your engine... or something like that.. I cant remember off of my head...

N2O is kept is a tank in the trunk of your car and carries it under the car in stainless steal tubing. and I believe also has pipe that goes down through the floor of your trunk and exits extra gas out... im not sure about that tube part... just seems to come to mind...

If you are wanting the nice cloud of gas like in 2fast 2 furious from the skyline u then buy a purge kit that regualtes teh pressure in your bottle... NX also has an Intercooler system that sprays the nitrous on to the intake for a turbo but recently people have been using Co2 instead of nitrous to cool the air down before its gets to the engine....

Now im not 100% positive on all of of this... just kind of things that ive picked up on through the past year or so.... so dont hold it against me.... but jsut remember... NOS is not N2O... NOS is a brand.... just a pet peeve of mine hope it helped

Comment

Good explanaiton. The only thing that needs to be changed is the fact that it's the DRY kits that more folks are shying away from, and the WET kits that are far more safe. I am a victime of a Zex DRY kit. My 1st engine in my MP3 was a casualty. The WET kits are safer because they add fuel and Nitrous at the same time. The dry kits just shoot N2O into the intake piping, usually distributing uneven amounts of N2O to the cylinders. This is not good.
      2001 Mazda Protege MP3-Laser Mica Blue
      Engine Mods:
      Mental Addiction 2nd Gen Sleeper Turbo Kit

[Pauter Forged Rods] [JE Forged Pistons (9.1:1)] [Haltech E6X] [2nd Gen RX-7 S5 460cc injectors] [AEM 30-4100 Wideband O2 Guage & Sensor] [JIC-Magic 505 Sus Exhaust System (with Magnaflow 2.5 inch resonator)] [Exedy Stage I Organic MSPI Clutch Kit] [HKS SSQ BOV] [AWR Motor Mounts] [AWR High Performance Radiator (3501)] [Haltech Boost Controller] [Mazdaspeed Oil Cooler ]
      -----------------------------------

-----------------------------------

Comment

yea i was looking more towards the chemical explanation. thx for the info guys.

one thing though, i read the different procedures of wet and dry from your posts and was wondering...

is there any other reason it is calle wet or dry? or is it simply called wet because the mixture is added to the fuel?

thx again!
        Tag Team

Comment

really? i thought people were shying away from wet because the intake or soemthing on the 3rd gens had groves in it or something like that and they were worried about the wet kit gettting N2O residue or osmething being left in there...hmmm

Comment

Marcio knows quite a bit about setting up NOS on a 2nd gen protege. There is a little more than just getting a shot of nos and strapping it on the car.
            so he tells me ...
            I am going to use a 75 shot on my 323 whenever it's done
            photo album|photo album 2 (pbase)

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

depending on how much spray ur usin, ull also want to get upgraded injectors and fuel pump, or at least make sure that ur stock injectors and pump will flow enuf fuel to keep the car goin.. this is the main problem ive heard of with ppl blowin engines.. they think they can strap a shot of "NOS" on their car and be all good... all nitrous is is a MIX of nitrogen and oxygen. when it is introduced into the cylinder, there is a LOT of extra oxygen in the cylinder, and what is required to run an engine? fuel and air... so if ur injectors and pump cant keep up, ull detonate, just like a turbo car runnin lean.. bye-bye engine... this is why nitrous has a bad rep.. not cuz it doesnt work, but only cuz ppl dont know how to MAKE it work... lol... and no, i dont run it myself, im not sure i like the idea of an extra 75-400 hp at the push of a button... im stickin with my paper-racing a turbo upgrade in the hopefully near future.. :D
              Last edited by skullet; 08-31-2003, 02:25 PM.
              "Squirrels are evil because they have thumbs."
              - Chick McGee

Comment

Originally posted by JProtege
                yea i was looking more towards the chemical explanation.
                I think this link will help you in your quest

Why Nitrous works
                By Brett Patton

The principles of nitrous oxide are really very simple. The most common way to create an increase in power in a 4 stroke cycle engine, is to burn more fuel. In order for something to burn, there must be oxygen present. All naturally aspirated engines air intake is limited by two things, engine displacement and atmospheric pressure. The air used to support combustion in a motor is only 23.6% oxygen by weight, and as oxygen is the essential ingredient in combustion, that means there is 76.4% other gasses, that do not support combustion. So, if we increase the amount of oxygen present in an engine, we can also increase the amount of fuel we can efficiently burn, and therefor increase the output of the engine.
                Nitrous oxide (N2O) is two parts nitrogen, and one part oxygen. By weight, nitrous oxide is 36% oxygen. When compared to air (23.6%) we see there is an increase in oxygen of 12%. Nitrous oxide its self, does not burn, and must be split into its elements before it is useful, fortunately nitrous oxide breaks down at 565*F, and combustion temperature are much higher. Once in the combustion chamber, nitrous oxide splits into nitrogen and oxygen supplying more oxygen and allowing more fuel to be burnt efficiently. One might think that the nitrogen serves no purpose, and pure oxygen would be greatly benificial, but as more fuel is burnt, temperatures also increase. This temperature increase, can be fatal for an engine, if not dealt with. From this, one can see that pure oxygen would produce extreme temperatures, and uncontrollable combustion rates. The nitrogen in the engine does not combust, but acts as a stabalizer to help control combustion speed, and reduce the temperature of combustion. But the increase in burnt fuel is only one of the ways in which nitrous helps to increase power in an engine.

When a substance is cooled, it contracts, and subsequently takes up less space. When liquid nitrous is injected, the pressure keeping it a liquid is removed, and must move from 760 psi, to 14.7 psi (atmosphere at sea level). This pressure drop allows the liquid to become a gas by boiling(nitrous boils at -129.1*F), the resulting gas is extremely cold. This gas mixes with the incoming air and cools it, causing it to become more dense, and allowing more air to fit into a given space. This increase in air capacity further allows the engine to burn more fuel.

Many people believe that nitrous oxide will damage an engine, but nitrous in its self is not harmful. A number of problems may arise when using nitrous, but most common among the engine destroying issues is running lean. When an engine goes lean, it means that not enough fuel is present for the mixture of air and fuel to properly burn. And when there is too much oxygen for the amount of fuel, it means that the fuel will burn far more quickly, and at a much higher temperature. With the piston travelling upwards while the fuel is combusting, if the fuel combusts faster than it is supposed to, it will exert downwards pressure on the upward travelling piston. This pressure, in combination with the increased temperatures, can very quickly "window" a piston, or put a hole in it. As one can see it is very important that the given engine, can supply enough fuel so the air/fuel mixture remains stoiciometric (proper). Of course, introducing far too much nitrous oxide into an engine not built to handle the increase in power will mean the end of the engine as well, but if caution is used when deciding the amount of nitrous for a given engine, engine life should not be hugely effected.

"Mazderati"
                91 LX DOHC 5 speed V8 stocker
                Pioneer DEH-550MP, Infinity 6002i's, Pioneer 6x9s
                Uniden PC76XL w/ Astatic Road Devil & 5' Wilson Silverload

1982 Jeep Wagoneer Brougham
                AMC 360 V8, 4-speed, 4x4

Comment

nice
                  2001 Protege LX
                  Appearence: 17" Gunmetal Exel Radius, EL Protege door sills, Painted emblems, CF radio surround, changed interior lights to blue LED's.
                  Performance: Black injen CAI, 2.25" Magnaflow catback
                  Other: 1st's grounding kit, Kartboy Exhaust hangers

Free Desktop PC complete an offer and i'll complete one of yours or give ya $5. pm me if you do.

Comment

The explanation about the boiling point and pressure stuff is a little shoddy, but the point is pretty much there.

"Mazderati"
                    91 LX DOHC 5 speed V8 stocker
                    Pioneer DEH-550MP, Infinity 6002i's, Pioneer 6x9s
                    Uniden PC76XL w/ Astatic Road Devil & 5' Wilson Silverload

1982 Jeep Wagoneer Brougham
                    AMC 360 V8, 4-speed, 4x4

Comment

I was reading a post a while back and printed off the items you would need (if you didn't care about cost) to run a SAFE and awsome No2 system. These parts include:

Nitrous Express Mazda EFI single nozzle kit - #20923-(size of bottle - ex. 15) Retail - $857.47 for kit w/15lbs bottle

Nitrous Express GENX2 upgrade (purge, bottle heater, gauage, etc.) - #GENX-2 Retail - $516.21

Nitrous Express Remote Bottle Opener - #11107 Retail - $306.77

Nitrous Express " DIigital Maximizer" Next Generation Variable Output Power Controller - #15963 Retail - $737.97

15lbs bottle upgrade - Part of kit - included

100hp jet upgrade - Retail - $6

MSD "Windows" RPM switch

You only need 1-2 ranges colder plugs! Not 4 ... Autolights and NGK's work very well and are much cheaper than Zex's plugs.

The variable controller will be your "unfair" advantage on the street and allow you to use more nitrous more effectively. Trust me, when you install this and set it correctly, you'll wonder why more people don't have one. While everybody else stuggles for traction, you'll be half way down the street/track...
                      "In the end, it doesn't even matter" Linkin Park

Comment

what exactly is a shot of nos?
                        i hear people talking about like a 50 shot. what is that?

Comment

Originally posted by J94
                          IT'S PIMP JUICE
                          photo album|photo album 2 (pbase)

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

Originally posted by J94
                            A measurment of hp gained by injecting No2. It's how much No2 is being injected.
                            "In the end, it doesn't even matter" Linkin Park

Comment

Originally posted by kopp0041
                              A measurment of hp gained by injecting No2. It's how much No2 is being injected.
                              Also, the amount of nitrous injected in a dry kit can easily be changed by swapping jets in the system. A bigger jet will flow more, etc etc.. At least that's how it worked on my Mustang about five years back.

Comment

Working...
                              X