suspension n00b

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

suspension n00b

ok where i live i cant get my car lowered for terrain issues, so new springs are out of the Q... but dnt new springs mack your car more sturdy? so I really just want my car to handle hell of a lot better... like not lean as much basically... so what can i do and what company's make stuff for the 96 protege?

look due to roads , is no longer a valid excuse,

You can lower your car and put on a nice set of 15's or 16's and just take your time and drive.

no need to drive a 2nd gen at above sea level hight...
    Bruce
    photo album|photo album 2 (pbase)

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

the roads around here are the problem... i drag the front end as it is... the University of Arkansas Campus is a giant hill hell.... to get into my dorm i have to driveslow as hell alrady because of hte entrance... so i cant lower... i just wouldnt be able to at all...i just want something to stiffen the ride

Comment

This is a time for someone to recover the "Complete Suspension List" from the protegeclub files...

BTW, email me at mzdaspd@sympatico.ca
        Im interested in ANY modifications you had to do to either to the rear or front rebar to make the kit fit...(I also am looking for a 'straight' shot of the rear bumper and a close-up of the sides)

Nice car!:D

CLICK HERE FOR PICS
        1.8L 97 LX (CDN)
        Erebuni kit, JDM heads/corners/tails/hood scoop, 17" BSA 259 w/ Khumo Ecstas, KYB GR2 struts, Apex springs, Ractive X-drilled/slotted rotors, KVR C/F pads, EssentialSpeed CAI, Essentialspeed custom cat-back (y-piped with dual Vibrant mufflers), Clutch Masters clutch, touring wing, Vibrant F/R strut bar, AWR 21.5mm rear sway bar, indiglo gauges, Sparco wheel/shift knob, custom interior, TomMotorsports 'BRIDE' seats, Innovatek DVD-0181 DVD/CD/MP3/etc player, Innovatek IN-720 7" indash LCD, 'MZDASPD' plates

Comment

The springs from H&R (part#29984) only lowers your car 1.3" front and back. Considering how old you factory springs are and how much theyve likely sagged, the H&R's will probably sit at the height your car is at now.
          H&R springs are also VERY stiff.
          This is the LEAST amount of drop found in a spring for our car.
          The MSRP is $280.00 Kit (USD)

CLICK HERE FOR PICS
          1.8L 97 LX (CDN)
          Erebuni kit, JDM heads/corners/tails/hood scoop, 17" BSA 259 w/ Khumo Ecstas, KYB GR2 struts, Apex springs, Ractive X-drilled/slotted rotors, KVR C/F pads, EssentialSpeed CAI, Essentialspeed custom cat-back (y-piped with dual Vibrant mufflers), Clutch Masters clutch, touring wing, Vibrant F/R strut bar, AWR 21.5mm rear sway bar, indiglo gauges, Sparco wheel/shift knob, custom interior, TomMotorsports 'BRIDE' seats, Innovatek DVD-0181 DVD/CD/MP3/etc player, Innovatek IN-720 7" indash LCD, 'MZDASPD' plates

Comment

Steep hills is definately no longer a good excuse. You would be amazed at the hills you can climb when you start slow. Take my car for example, lowered and bodykit, and the entrance to my work is probably just as steep if not steeper than the entrance you are talking about. Go ahead and lower it, it will be worth it.

Comment

here is a good set up if you are having problems with scraping... get h&r springs with kyb struts and put on some 16's i live in the detroit area which has very very terrible roads and ocassionally very steep entrances.... even with 13's i didn't hit my bottom very much.. not any more than before... the 16's have helped a little but i still ocassionally scrap if i'm not careful on some driveways and entrances.... but it hasn't become worse than before lowering it
              In the Garage
              Black 93 MX-3 GS
              Bp powered
              GTR Drive Train

The ProjectMx build thread
              MyCardomain[/SIZE]

"Shut up, at least the bunnies are on fire!"

Comment

exactly this is what I am trying to say , We all don't live in the best of areas.. well most of us. The roads here are decent.. and if you have to go up a incline, just take your time.

Why keep the car at stock height, you should drop it ..
                Bruce

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

I have H&R springs on my car, and I drive around New England, which probably has the worst roads! As others said, its only a 1.3" drop. It would not hurt you much. Also with wider tires you can get better handling. I got 205/55R15 with H&R and KYB struts, and the car has been handling three hundred times better. Here is a pic:
                  "Probable impossibilities are to be preferred to improbable possibilities."

Comment

Originally posted by turbonium959
                    I have H&R springs on my car, and I drive around New England, which probably has the worst roads! As others said, its only a 1.3" drop. It would not hurt you much. Also with wider tires you can get better handling. I got 205/55R15 with H&R and KYB struts, and the car has been handling three hundred times better. Here is a pic:
                    205/55/15 why?

the ideal is 205/50
                    or do you have some wide rims. haha then I understand .
                    Bruce

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

asylum24 you could put on some rims first , before dropping the car.
                      then you will see how high the car sits.

word of advice. you have a kit . don't go lower than 16 inch rims
                      Bruce

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

im savin up for 16 or 17... wold be pointless to get 15's... if i wante 15's i just go steal some wrecked hondas wheels from a junkyard

Comment

this is the wheel gap to look forward to when you get 16's

and i have since fixed that problem..

98 Protege SE
                          -------------------
                          1.5L Turbo

Comment

If you want better handling and roll control w/o lowering the ride height, go with sway bars. I don't know what kind, tho, sorry. I'm sure there are some available for your car. Can anybody help?

1996 Mazda Familia NEO BHA8S
                            (Protege ES Fastback equivalent)

1.8l BP-ZE engine, lightly tuned.
                            Check out my website for details:
                            La Sagrada Familia NEO

Comment

Get the AWR rear bar.
                              That is the one I want to get my hands on ...
                              changing the front bar with the engine still under the hood .. has to equal nothing but cuts and scrapes...

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

Working...
                              X