Painting stainless steel.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Painting stainless steel.

To keep it short. I'm building an intake for my car. The pipe I'm using is stainless steel. I've got ceramic based paint, not exactly sure what brand it is.
    I know its not easy to paint stainless steel. Any suggestions?? Should I use a primer, should I rough up the surface first??
    Ryan The middle child is always ignored
    BP powered 97LX Touring Edition
    Vibrant strut tower brace, KVR front brake pads, Tungsram Megalicht H4 headlight bulbs, Phillips Halogen H3 foglight bulbs.... 91 GT rims w/ 195 60 14 Yokohomo Mirada GTX sport

well if I were to try and paint stainless steel...
    This may not be perfect but I would use a fine sand paper and wetsand it and then dry it off and prime it. Then I would sand down the prime and add a nother coat. and repeat this step once more.
    Then I would apply a coat of the powder coat paint to the pipe. and then sand it down and apply another coat of paint.
    Ofcourse inbetween every base coat of paint. I would let it dry before sanding.
    I don't know if I am write with what I am saying but it is what I would try ...
    ahh a jab in the dark..
    Bruce
    photo album|photo album 2 (pbase)

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

So now that this is in the correct forum have you more criticism or some suggestions??
      Ryan The middle child is always ignored
      BP powered 97LX Touring Edition
      Vibrant strut tower brace, KVR front brake pads, Tungsram Megalicht H4 headlight bulbs, Phillips Halogen H3 foglight bulbs.... 91 GT rims w/ 195 60 14 Yokohomo Mirada GTX sport

Comment

if you are painting stainless, ceramic paint is an option. but you dont need to apply as many coats. start by sanding then cleaning the surface with brake cleaner, or any other acohol base solution. then prime it. i know some tremclad makes a decent primer. Clean the primed surface with the solution and then paint.
        When you turn your car on... does it return the favor?

Originally posted by goldstar
        Yes, still have it. It was my attempt to immortalize you in verse.

A Protege driver named Brock
        Once said 7 seconds he'd clock.
        So his engine he goosed
        With much too much boost,
        And drove a rod through his block.

Comment

Why spend the time painting it ,just polish it ,its stainless steel .

2001 LX 2.0 Grace green metallic with gold graphics,
          Motegi MR12 rims in gold
          Falken Zeix 502's 205/40/17,
          MDC Enterprises short throw shifter,Sparco shift knob,
          Sparco pedal set,Vibrant axle back muffler , MDC Enterprises CAIwith K&N filtercone,Ractive strut bar,MP3 rear swaybar,Tien S-tech springs ,AWR engine mounts,AWR adjustable endlinks,AWR rear trailing arms,Konig rear wing colour matched ,Altezza tail lights edges colour matched to car.P5 front seats,
          P5 front conversion with side skirts

Comment

Ive painted my intake before and it looked great. here is how i did it:
            1.Sand the surface with some 400 or 600 grit (it really doenst matter)
            2. Lay down a primer
            -let dry-
            3.lay down 2 coats of whatever color you want. letting it dry in between.
            4. Lay alteast 3 coats of clear, letting it dry in between

It will look great, while resisting oil and dirt. To clean you just have to wipe off with some soap and water. The only problem i ran into is where you clamp down your silicon couplers. They clamp down so tight and get so hot, that when you take them off some of the paint comes off with them. But its really not that bad, as long as you place the coupler back where it was. That way it just covers up the spots where it came off.
            Last edited by OCD-SPEED; 10-06-2003, 07:46 PM.
            sigpic

Comment

Working...
            X