parking brake too loose

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

parking brake too loose

recently i parked in my friends driveway and pulled the parking brake up like 13-15 clicks, or at least like until it was really hard to pull up more... and it started rolling, so i pulled up really hard and it kept rolling so i just parked it across the street .......

so is there a way to tighten my parking brake?? my friend tells me theres a way he has heard of ppl doing it but i wouldnt know where to begin doing this... like is there a cable underneath the car i can use a wrench to tighten??

thanks!!

why didnt you just set the brake then put the car in first gear? it was off right?
    2003 protege dx; black mica
    titanium tip thermal exhaust
    k&n typhoon complete CAI
    custom engine dress up
    custom interior dress up
    5" autometer tach-silver face
    20% solar tint all around
    obx stainless steel headers
    stainless steel strut bar
    Racers Design shift knob w/custom short shifter
    17" MSR-105 gunmetal wheels, nitto neo-gen tires205/40zr17

Comment

Originally posted by prote_boy
      why didnt you just set the brake then put the car in first gear? it was off right?
      He probably could have...but whop wants to park on a hill if your brake doesnt work? Just a thought.

Comment

haha well yeah, i coulda put it in 1st, and i do now, AND i dont park on hills like all the time but i still wanna tighten the parking brake lol

Comment

Make sure your rear bakes are adjusted properly, do you have rear discs or drums??
          Remove your centre console, you should see a nut attached to the side of the Ebrake lever and you should see the cable that it is threaded on to. Loosen that off, then put the lever all the way down. As I said above, you then make sure your rear brakes are adjusted properly. Once that is done, tighten the nut some and pull up the lever 6-8 clicks. Then see if the car will roll. If it rolls tighten until it doesn't. Take your car for a test drive and pay attention to wether or not your brakes are dragging or not. It'll take a few tries to get it right most of the time but once you've done it enough you'll know when.

P.S. don't park on a hill by just leaving your car in gear thats is very hard on the tranny and clutch
          Ryan The middle child is always ignored
          BP powered 97LX Touring Edition
          Vibrant strut tower brace, KVR front brake pads, Tungsram Megalicht H4 headlight bulbs, Phillips Halogen H3 foglight bulbs.... 91 GT rims w/ 195 60 14 Yokohomo Mirada GTX sport

Comment

Isn't the clutch supposed to be the weak link in the drivetrain?? What I mean is that the clutch is supposed to break before say the tranny?? I'd say its hard on the "torque springs" (thats what I call them don't know what the real name is).
            Ryan The middle child is always ignored
            BP powered 97LX Touring Edition
            Vibrant strut tower brace, KVR front brake pads, Tungsram Megalicht H4 headlight bulbs, Phillips Halogen H3 foglight bulbs.... 91 GT rims w/ 195 60 14 Yokohomo Mirada GTX sport

Comment

thank u so much midnight, i appreciate ur help lol, to answer ur first question i have rear drum brakes and i try to not park on an incline when its not necessary but theres a ton around here.

hey earlier tho, i know this might be kinda off topic but my friend was messing around in my car (i was talking to friend outside) and he put the handbrake down so it was rolling and then he smacked it into 4th gear without hitting the clutch while it was rolling backwards, that couldntve damaged the transmission really badly could it? im just a lil worried, lol, thanks for all your help tho guys!!!!

Comment

Working...
              X