Project: Rear Strut Bar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Project: Rear Strut Bar

Well, I had to do one day or the other. It took me about a full day's worth of time, tools that you can get in Walmart, and a welder (I will explain later). Step one was to remove much anything that I could possibly damage or get in my way. I am 6'7" so it was not a very comfortable mod if you ask me. I also end up cutting my thumb and getting a few bumps on my head. Anyhow, After I removed the rear bench and backrest, speakers, and entire trunk lining. Then, I used my Dremel (B-Day gift) and began making the holes. Nothing too hard. Also, I was cutting the holes before the strut bar even got to my door.

You can see on the pics how it turned and what tools I used.
    Attached Files
    "Probable impossibilities are to be preferred to improbable possibilities."

Part 2

So, the next day, I began modding the brackets. I bought an Ebay strut bar for $7, the same exact one as in the front. The brackets were the entire *bitch* of the project. After I finished making new mount holes / notches, and placed the mounts on the car, and began adding the bar. Well, the bar was half inch short on both sides. Thats is why I had to go a welder (thank you local Midas), and had the extensions added to the brackets. As you can see in the pics, not the pretties job, but well worth the effort.

I took the car for a spin, as well as Auto-cross event, and could notice a little less understeer.

Enjoy the pics.
    Attached Files

Comment

Nice Nice. I see you finally did it.

Only difference is I ordered a rear bar for a 1st gen Protege.

Good work bro. I am glad you like it.
      photo album|photo album 2 (pbase)

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

Nice work Iam going to do this mod soon

Comment

Hey Aleksey, how does the trunk lining fit back in?

Bruce, did you have to weld an extension to the 1st gen rear strut bar to make it work? Or is it a direct bolt-on?

Comment

no Turbo.. used a front strut bar in the back... see the way it curves down at the ends. I used a 1st gen rear bar.. It's flat and extends all the way across.

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

Originally posted by Intruder
              Hey Aleksey, how does the trunk lining fit back in?

Bruce, did you have to weld an extension to the 1st gen rear strut bar to make it work? Or is it a direct bolt-on?
              The lining goes back just the way you take it out. There is a bunch of plastic snaps you have to take out (carefully), and all the peices should come out easy: left/right lining, floor lining, and the plastic piece near the trunk lock mechanism. The latter one just snaps in/out of place.

Comment

I know how to take it out and put it back in. I've done this a couple of times before. I was just wondering if you needed to cut any of it in order to put it back with the strut bar in the way. I didn't feel like going to my car to look how far up the lining goes.

Comment

click to see imagestation images
                  Get the best of SEO, WordPress, and Blogging with detailed guides, reviews, and comparisons articles. With our insightful articles select the right products and follow our tested strategies to grow your business.

Here is a photo of my bar with the plastic panels put back in..

click for high res image

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

Thanks Bruce.

Comment

nicw, i thought the 1st gen rear bars fit too? or is that on the 323 only? good work thou, now you have one, i cant remember what it feels like without em, ive had mine on for ever now.
                      Maroon 1995 Probe SE
                      Beige 1994 Protege DX
                      Silver 2001 Protege ES

Comment

In Taiwan.
                        There are ready-made rear strut bar .... About.. NT: 900 ...
                        Ford Liata 1.6L --- Mod..
                        All P&C Exhaust System,Fedear 205/45/16. WinnerPower 6 Pot Brake System,5MT,A&Z front 6kg/near 4kg Suspension kit......etc...

Comment

Originally posted by mikachan
                          In Taiwan.
                          There are ready-made rear strut bar .... About.. NT: 900 ...
                          Well, that's good for YOU!

Comment

Do you still have to cut out the holes in order to fit it in, or Liatas are slightly different in that manner?

Comment

man aleksey, that automatic stickes out like a sore thumb, lol looks good man.
                              .....HELLO MY NAME IS BEN...

186.08whp
                              225.94wtq
                              torque monster!!!!
                              dyno graph 8-10-and 12psi
                              http://www.msprotege.com/members/THE...no%20graph.jpg
                              http://videos.streetfire.net/player....0-C19CA06AF01E dyno vid

blahblahblahblahblahblah

Comment

Working...
                              X