CDM VS USDM, SOHC vs DOHC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CDM VS USDM, SOHC vs DOHC

well after much comarison between mazdaracer, and myself, i have come to this. the USA and Canada did not recive the same car.

DX:
    USDM
    automatic seatbelts,

CDM
    passive belts,
    metric gauges,
    spoiler

LX:
    USDM
    DOHC engine, w/ 7000rpm RL
    G series tranny
    shorter center console
    seat belts bolt to the seat
    option for stock alloys

CDM
    SOHC engine w/ 6000rpm RL
    F series tranny
    longer center console with a lid
    Seatbelts that bolt to the frame
    Passive "B" pillar belts
    stock spoiler
    aero package option (1992 anniversary edition only)
    different interior trim,
    stock anti-rust undercoating
    "S" series VAF
    block heater

There is a huge difference betweent he intake of the DOHC and SOHC. see pics below, SOHC is on the left

as you can see from the pics the piping and resinator boxes are very different. the SOHC piping is more restrictive. this can be proven with extensive calculus, or by the simple concept of angualt momentum. the flow has to change directions across a 3 axies. it takes energy to change momentum, (all engery is kenetic, so the flow is slowed)

even the res box of the SOHC has a bend in it and the chamber for resination is reduced. now for performance an intake is dependant of it's mass flow rate ("Q"= cross sectional area x velocity) Flow velocity is alos important but is tis included in "Q". Because we are creating a vaccum the fluid is drawn instead of pushed so "backpressure" the infamous word with exaust systems will not exist.

a common misconception with an intake is that when the TB at WOT it will have an equal pressure with the amient(atmposphere). 2 problems with this

A) you have a flow velocity, therefor you MUST HAVE a difference of pressures!! air wont move if there is not difference in pressures. ( air does get drawn into the engine right??) the "Q" of the intake can be calculated given: the RPM, the lift of the valve, # of valves, diameter of the valve, geometry of the intake manifold, and geometry of the intake piping.

B) air is not a "stop and go" fluid. it is a FLUID, it's motion is dicated by turblent and laminate steamlines. if you localize your control volume to just the valve and area around it, (please take the time to note where the vaccum lines are located on the intake mani) and "simlify it". the valve will not act like the TB. maybe if you had 1 valve and only 1 cylinder, possible yes. but on a 2 intake valve system that opens and closes (250 to 1750 times per minute drawing in a displacement of air for 1.8L. the intake mani will in effect have a constant flow inside it. your RPM and area of passage within the tB are directly related.. remember that too

ok i havent covered everything i wanted to but i feel i have lost too many people in this i kinda went off topic, but whatever, it is still intake related
    When you turn your car on... does it return the favor?

Originally posted by goldstar
    Yes, still have it. It was my attempt to immortalize you in verse.

A Protege driver named Brock
    Once said 7 seconds he'd clock.
    So his engine he goosed
    With much too much boost,
    And drove a rod through his block.

on my 93 lx I got the anti-rust undercoating I dont know if it was stock or dealer install but i think it was stock the place we got it from wouldn't ever put anything extra on cars I think thats why they went out of busness.
    93 Protege lx (Jessi)
    Project Jessi
    Sold

88 "terd tan" ranger

quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Racing in a Honda is like racing in the special olympics, even if you win... your still retarded
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

The First Gen Protege GT model in Canada was the equivalent to the US LX model
      Ryan The middle child is always ignored
      BP powered 97LX Touring Edition
      Vibrant strut tower brace, KVR front brake pads, Tungsram Megalicht H4 headlight bulbs, Phillips Halogen H3 foglight bulbs.... 91 GT rims w/ 195 60 14 Yokohomo Mirada GTX sport

Comment

i believe it still had the passive belts. i'll have to look into that.
        When you turn your car on... does it return the favor?

Originally posted by goldstar
        Yes, still have it. It was my attempt to immortalize you in verse.

A Protege driver named Brock
        Once said 7 seconds he'd clock.
        So his engine he goosed
        With much too much boost,
        And drove a rod through his block.

Comment

Originally posted by Protoss
          i believe it still had the passive belts. i'll have to look into that.
          It also has standard spoiler, GTX/GTR style seats. It's not an "equivalent." However it has the DOHC motor.

The active seat belts are on U.S. models due to a federal safety law.
          2006 Mazda 3 hatchback manual

Comment

Working...
          X