Our minimum wage is lower than in 1968

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Our minimum wage is lower than in 1968

Hrmm. For some reason I was watching the california governor debates earlier tonight. One of the candidates mentioned that if you factor in inflation, our minimum wage today is 24% lower than it was in 1968.

If our minimum wage was equal to 1968, it would be at $6.39 / hour instead of its current $5.15.

I sorta care about this since I'm currently trying to find a job in this ****hole town known as Frostburg, MD. There are little job opportunities, and all the **** jobs (burger king, mcdonald's, sheetz) pay you no more than $5.50 an hour no matter how much experience you have (****ers).
    93' Noble Green MX-ZE (sold )
    02' Graphite Grey WRX Stage 4, 286whp
    05' Pontiac Vibe daily driver, lowered/tinted/rims

its nearly 7 dollars in CT

Comment

Its 7.15 in alaska. I haven't had a job since it went up though

Oh, yeah today they anounced how much our permanent fund dividend is gonna be. $1107.56 I love free money
      02 Protege ES

Comment

I often wonder why Bush doesn't increase it since that would help boost spending versus cutting taxes which only help some. The tax refund helped his first year as Pres. I still owed money do to my employer screwing up (having me claim 2 instead of 1!) When I was working for that company, they switched things around and re-entered my status incorrectly which made my checks bigger, but ended up owing at the end of the year Cost of living here is outrageous and although I make way more than minimum wage, I don't see how any one can survive off of it. Hell I can't survive off of what I make now, and the only luxuries I have is my car and my computer with internet access (cheap 56K). I have regular tv and live in a one bedroom aptmnt. Pathetic that you have to work to live and live to work. Seems like I have been doing that for quite a while.
        2001 ES (Featured at SoundDomain)

Pioneer/SoundStream/JBL/Coustic/Elemental Designs/Focal/
        KnuKonceptz/Lightning Audio/SoundQuest/Tiff/
        Gel America/Dynamo Deep Cycle Battery/
        Groundkit

Comment

Originally posted by MisterT
          Pathetic that you have to work to live and live to work. Seems like I have been doing that for quite a while.
          I know i am dragging up an old tread, but this quote feels soo true. i just got notice that i am being audited. **** this sucks. i can sleep because i am too worried. I filled out my taxes properly. i came in way below the "poverty" line. and i am still getting auditted!! WTF. sometimes i when life throws a curve like this you wonder why you got out of bed.
          Last edited by Protoss; 10-23-2003, 06:37 AM.
          When you turn your car on... does it return the favor?

Originally posted by goldstar
          Yes, still have it. It was my attempt to immortalize you in verse.

A Protege driver named Brock
          Once said 7 seconds he'd clock.
          So his engine he goosed
          With much too much boost,
          And drove a rod through his block.

Comment

Originally posted by MisterT
            I often wonder why Bush doesn't increase it since that would help boost spending versus cutting taxes which only help some.
            He's a republican would be my guess

(wonder if I'm going to get crap for this....)
            "Never run out of real estate, traction & ideas at the same time"
            -93 MR2, 129 ES
            ClubProtege.com Tech Articles

Originally posted by WTF
            Remember low compression makes more space for AIR, HEEELLOOOO!

Comment

hrmm...someone's a democrat?

Hell, I don't like either party, but IMO democrats act more like jackasses on public television than any other party.

Why the hell isn't MD min wage $7 an hour! That would rule!
              93' Noble Green MX-ZE (sold )
              02' Graphite Grey WRX Stage 4, 286whp
              05' Pontiac Vibe daily driver, lowered/tinted/rims

Comment

5.75 or something in Tx
                7 would be nice.
                Here jobs are tight too. I found work at UPS
                Not too bad Im makin 10 an hour now
                The T3 BP MX-3 conversion has begun, and is taking forever & will kill me.

Comment

I'm just glad I don't have to worry about that any more. People still paying $5.15 around here AFAIK
                  Dan
                  dreesemonkey

Comment

would raising the minimum wage help the unemployment rate? ....
                    2006 Mazda 3 hatchback manual

Comment

Working...
                    X