Oversized Pistons?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oversized Pistons?

Okay, here is my situation.. My thrust bearing went out and the crankshaft has been eating away at my block. I still have the block that I originally had in my car, but the cylinder walls are scarred in it. The guy that is going to redo that block recommends that he bore it out a bit to clean up the cylinder walls instead of using sleeves. Well obviously the only way he can do that would be being able to find oversized pistons. Do you guys know of where I can find some? Or suggest another route. I am taking this opportunity to completely rebuild the motor. So hopefully no more problems!
    -Robert
    '93 Protege Turbo LX 5-speed

-GTX VJ-20 turbo w/ custom downpipe, Haltech E6K Kit w/ 3Bar MAP sensor & O2 sensor (Engine Management System), .040 overbored pistons with slightly raised compression, Resurfaced cylinder head & valve job, GReddy Type-S BOV, Turbo XS boost controller, 450cc injectors, Walbro 255lph fuel pump, 22"x9"x3" FMIC, full 3" exhaust w/ Catco Catylic converter & Summit Turbo Muffler, ACT Clutch Kit (stage 2), Uretheane shifter bushing, Triple Gauge Pod w/ Boost, Air/Fuel Ratio, and Oil Pressure gauges, Falken Azenis Sport 195/60HR14 tires on steelies.

www.mazdaformance.com has .25mm and .50 mm over, miata pistons.
    only thing they are 9.5:1 ... I guess you can maybe get lower compression pistons..
    I am really strarting to want to get a set of 10.0:1 pistons for the 323...

the 99 miatas were resported to be having that problem of the thrust bearing going bad and thereby wearing out the crank and allowing the crankshaft to move to much... ruining the whole engine...

Bruce
    photo album|photo album 2 (pbase)

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

Talk to the dealership....
      Im getting my 99 miata pistons.. 50 over for $29 a piece and thats the 10.0:1 ones as well.....but. normally they are somewhere around $40 a piece. I get a discount

and oh yes they are going into the DOHC 323
      ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
      he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Originally posted by bruce95fmla
        www.mazdaformance.com has .25mm and .50 mm over, miata pistons.
        only thing they are 9.5:1 ... I guess you can maybe get lower compression pistons..
        I am really strarting to want to get a set of 10.0:1 pistons for the 323...

the 99 miatas were resported to be having that problem of the thrust bearing going bad and thereby wearing out the crank and allowing the crankshaft to move to much... ruining the whole engine...

Bruce
        9.5:1 is a GOOD start for a turbo motor.

and the 99 miata thrust bearing issues will show up in the first 30,000 miles of driving. Beyond that, if you don't see it, it's not a faulty thrust bearing.
        "Never run out of real estate, traction & ideas at the same time"
        -93 MR2, 129 ES
        ClubProtege.com Tech Articles

Originally posted by WTF
        Remember low compression makes more space for AIR, HEEELLOOOO!

Comment

yeah I am considering the 9.5:1 when I rebuild the motor in the Protege.
          This would be ofcourse way later on after the turbo is done and when I would need another clutch...

As for the 323 I would like the 10.1 but when I was confering with a miata head .. he was telling me he didn't notice much difference in his miata.

off to miata.net I go ...
          photo album|photo album 2 (pbase)

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

for an NA engine, 11.5:1 would be a START IMO.
            -93 MR2, 129 ES

Originally posted by WTF

Comment

I'm having a hard time locating the Miata pistons on that website. Can you help me out?
              -Robert
              '93 Protege Turbo LX 5-speed

-GTX VJ-20 turbo w/ custom downpipe, Haltech E6K Kit w/ 3Bar MAP sensor & O2 sensor (Engine Management System), .040 overbored pistons with slightly raised compression, Resurfaced cylinder head & valve job, GReddy Type-S BOV, Turbo XS boost controller, 450cc injectors, Walbro 255lph fuel pump, 22"x9"x3" FMIC, full 3" exhaust w/ Catco Catylic converter & Summit Turbo Muffler, ACT Clutch Kit (stage 2), Uretheane shifter bushing, Triple Gauge Pod w/ Boost, Air/Fuel Ratio, and Oil Pressure gauges, Falken Azenis Sport 195/60HR14 tires on steelies.

Comment

I get errors all over that site. I am guessing you have to request the pistons, though.
                2006 Mazda 3 hatchback manual

Comment

9.5:1 Pistons

If I went ahead and put the 9.5:1 pistons in place of the 9.0:1 ones in my BP, would there be anything else I would have to change or be careful about? I am doing a full rebuild and have been contemplating putting higher comp pistons in. I want a little more power, but I don't want to go crazy. The stock pistons seem to have quite a bit of wear on one side of them so I am thinking it would best to replace them now to avoid any problems later. Any opinions?
                  91 Mazda 323 - RIP

Comment

Re: 9.5:1 Pistons

Originally posted by 323
                    If I went ahead and put the 9.5:1 pistons in place of the 9.0:1 ones in my BP, would there be anything else I would have to change or be careful about? I am doing a full rebuild and have been contemplating putting higher comp pistons in. I want a little more power, but I don't want to go crazy. The stock pistons seem to have quite a bit of wear on one side of them so I am thinking it would best to replace them now to avoid any problems later. Any opinions?
                    whats the goal for the motor?
                    -93 MR2, 129 ES

Originally posted by WTF

Comment

My Goal

I am looking to make about 135-145 HP at the crank, maybe a little more. Would you recommend using stock Miata 9.5:1 pistons or aftermarket ones? I have heard both good and bad about hypereutectic pistons so I am unsure if I should go with cast pistons or not. Any opinions? Would a swap from stock 9.0:1 pistons to 9.5:1 Miata pistons be plug and play, or are there other changes/modifications that need to be made? Any info would be greatly appreciated.
                      91 Mazda 323 - RIP

Comment

Working...
                      X