Exedy clutch holds like holy hell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exedy clutch holds like holy hell

I have an Exedy clutch in my protege. It is not a racing clutch or anything special. It is just a OEM replacement. However I have to say that this clutch really frigin bites hard. I mean it grabs second gear with ferocity every time I acceling hard.
    It's funny because I only paid 100 bucks for this clutch and imagine it is biting this hard. Damn imagine that.

I know that there are other stronger clutches out there, but I am just really curious as to how much horsepower one of these clutch would be able to hold.
    I have been toying with the idea of upgrading to a spec stage 2 clutch and a spec stage 1 in the 323. Ofcourse then I start to wonder, with 100 dollar clutches like exedy and weak trannies like those on the protege's, wouldn't it be more worth it to run a weaker clutch and risk burning up the clutch as opposed to the tranny.

I guess when I put the turbo on the Protege, which is a slow process and has to be done before the 323 is boosted, I will have an idea of what type of power this exedy can hold.

We will see.
    photo album|photo album 2 (pbase)

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

exedy 1.8 clutch isnt an oem replacment. its a mild upgrade. somthing around 10% more torque holding capacity if i remember correctly.

iirc the exedys for miatas can hold 180hp.
    find it, **** it, forget it

Comment

yea one of my concerns when i was deciding on a 2.5 RS or a DSM was that the 2.5 RS tranny can't really hold 300 hp especially with a clutch that wont slip.

Although with the power you are running the tranny should be ok; you dont have anything crazy under the hood do you?
      Tag Team

Comment

I never noticed any great gripping ability, but i have an Exedy as well, but i only paid $60

Comment

Which box are you running bruce? The G is a decent piece of hardware imo.

Comment

where you get an exedy for $60?

mine was $110 and i thought that was a good deal....

Comment

Originally posted by 95ProLeila
              Which box are you running bruce? The G is a decent piece of hardware imo.
              I have the F tranny.
              yea the G is a good tranny, and trust me so is the F..
              The gears are long, but the N/A BP has no problem redlining even with 3 people in the car.
              I think I can do 60mph in 2nd gear, or something like that I forgot.

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

Originally posted by MazdaRacer
                I never noticed any great gripping ability, but i have an Exedy as well, but i only paid $60
                Was your clutch new.

My clutch holds up strongly on 1 to 2 shifts and redlined 2 to 3 shifts.... which can cause massive torque steer for anyone who doesn't know about this.
                Last edited by bruce95fmla; 08-17-2004, 05:58 AM.

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

yup, brand new, got if from a member selling one here on the forums.

Comment

Damn that's sweet. My 323 needs a clutch.. hehe ...
                    Let me find a deal like that if I have the money I would jump..

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

bruce i have a brand new clutch lying around. it's an oem replacement though.
                      Almost there

jdm tails... check
                      jdm bumper... check
                      ms lip... check
                      ms grill... check
                      ms sideskirts... check
                      ms rear skirts... check
                      ms spoiler... check
                      ms struts... check

Still trying for a bp swap..:
                      Fidanzda 8lb flywheel, ACT HD00, UR Crank Pulley, UR Adj. Cam-Gears, Exh-Intake CamShaft Swap, MS Engine Mounts, Custom CAI, PaceSetter Header, 2.25" in/out-let Magnaflow Cat, 2.25" Mandrel-Bent Exhaust.

Comment

bruce, go to clutchcityonline.com and offer the guy like $110 for a clutch. thats what i did and he agreed.

Comment

yeah, 2nd is good to 60, at least on the G box, 60 is redline

edit: that's weird about the torque steer, I really don't have it on 2-3 upshifts, it's noticeable on the 1-2, but completely manageable. . .
                          Last edited by 95ProLeila; 08-17-2004, 10:28 PM.

Comment

I think tires can make a big difference in terms of torque steer.
                            2006 Mazda 3 hatchback manual

Comment

I dunno, my tires are pretty grippy (high speed twisties usually don't yield any complaints from the tires). . .

Comment

Working...
                              X