1st Gen strut bars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1st Gen strut bars

I just bought one of those front strut bars off ebay for like $6.00 or so.
    It seems to be of decent quality, nice machining and all. It is solid aluminum with threaded insert on each end that is adjustable to fit many vehicles i'm guessing. My question to you is... how much of a difference is there between the front and rear strut tower spacing? Can I get another one of these and use it on the rear? Id actually co out to my car and measure, but i'm no where near my car right now.

Thanks,

Michael

Get the bar that is specifically for the 1st gen rear strut tower.

That is what I did . The front and rear bar is different.
    photo album|photo album 2 (pbase)

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

the $6 ebay bars are a good start. They are not the best quality, but are better than nothing. I would suggest a custom bar somewhere further down the line.

As for now, enjoy the bar.
      When you turn your car on... does it return the favor?

Originally posted by goldstar
      Yes, still have it. It was my attempt to immortalize you in verse.

A Protege driver named Brock
      Once said 7 seconds he'd clock.
      So his engine he goosed
      With much too much boost,
      And drove a rod through his block.

Comment

u can make those bars stronger by welding the ends in place once u get it sized right, thats wut i did
        i is dumb

Comment

yeah too bad you will be welding 2-3 different metals.....
          When you turn your car on... does it return the favor?

Originally posted by goldstar
          Yes, still have it. It was my attempt to immortalize you in verse.

A Protege driver named Brock
          Once said 7 seconds he'd clock.
          So his engine he goosed
          With much too much boost,
          And drove a rod through his block.

Comment

but what from i've heard, the metal bar is hollow inside....is that true?

Comment

mines not hollow u could see where the threading stoped and a wall there
              i is dumb

Comment

IT looked solid to me. I actually ordered it thinking it was cheap and I was just going to use it for a template. I still plan on making a set for my car, but this will work for now.. I was told once that i should not run JUST the front bar since it will make the car handle funny. Is this true?

Comment

are the bolt patterns different from front to rear? Can i use the end parts that actually mount to the car and then just make a pattern for the rear bar? or am I way off here?

Thanks again guys...

Comment

no, not true. just a front or just a rear will not make a signifigant difference to make the car handle funny.....

front has a 4 bolt mount, the rear only has 2, although if you own a drill, it's an easy fix.

I don't understand why though....if they are so cheap, why not buy the proper bars?

Comment

Rear strut bar

Originally posted by MazdaRacer
                      no, not true. just a front or just a rear will not make a signifigant difference to make the car handle funny.....

front has a 4 bolt mount, the rear only has 2, although if you own a drill, it's an easy fix.

I don't understand why though....if they are so cheap, why not buy the proper bars?
                      They for whatever reason do NOT offer the rear bars. I have contacted them multiple times and they just told me to try back in a few weeks to see of they got the rears in. Finally they just said they do not and will not have the rear bars. So i broke down a bought the front just to try it, and I'll just use the machine shop where I work to get the back fabricated.

Comment

well, while rare on Ebay, thats where i got my rear bar (yes, sad to say it's an ebay cheapie ) but there are hundreds of distributors that you can contact that sell strut bars. Hell, contact Ractive directly www.toucanindustries.com

Comment

hows the brand Ractive though?

Comment

Originally posted by whistler
                            hows the brand Ractive though?
                            cheap...ok for street cruising...but not a race part.

Comment

Working...
                            X