Introduction/considering purchase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Introduction/considering purchase

Hey there, my name is Jeb and I am considering the purchase of an 02-03 P5. I am curious to reliablity problems that any of you guys have had as well as specific dislikes you have about the car having owned them.

What were the trim levels available for the P5? I know that leather is an option, are moonroofs as well?

Anything I should look for as I pursue one of these?

Thanks in advance for your time.

Jeb

the bottom line i have found with owning a protege is if you take care of the car, it will take care of you. i have the '00 lx and I love my car. even though it is slow as crap. i love knowing that not everyone in the tuner crowd has my car and i love the compliments that i get on my car. As far as trim levels, i am not sure but i do not believe that there are trim levels. I think that it is the Progege5 and you just get options. good luck to you and maybe someone else will help you here.

2000 White Protege LX
    Sumitomo 195/60HR14
    2 x Polk DB570 (5"x7")
    Kenwood KDC-MP522 Head Unit
    Kenwood KAC-7251 (800 W) Amp
    Audiobahn AWC10T x 2 Subs
    Kenwood Music Keg
    Black Widow Keyless Entry
    Intake- Custom SRI
    Clear Corner Lights
    APC Clear Tail Lights

Comment

From what I remember, the P5 was only one trim level, equivalent to the ES sedan, which means "loaded." Power everything, 4 wheel discs, etc, etc, etc. I know a moonroof was available, and pretty common, from the cars I see on the street.

Overall, it's a great car. Reliable, comfortable, fun to drive, and more interesting than the hordes of Civics and Corollas out there.

Quick warning: On the test drive you'll hear a clatter that sounds like loose valves until the engine warms up. It's not the valves, and they all do it. As long as it goes away once it warms up, ignore it. (I just don't want a phantom noise to put you off a good car.)
      ~Mark.
      2002 Protege DX 5 speed, "Kenmore White," well-loved and a little over half paid-for

Comment

Originally posted by Mark 02dx
        From what I remember, the P5 was only one trim level, equivalent to the ES sedan, which means "loaded." Power everything, 4 wheel discs, etc, etc, etc. I know a moonroof was available, and pretty common, from the cars I see on the street.

Overall, it's a great car. Reliable, comfortable, fun to drive, and more interesting than the hordes of Civics and Corollas out there.

Quick warning: On the test drive you'll hear a clatter that sounds like loose valves until the engine warms up. It's not the valves, and they all do it. As long as it goes away once it warms up, ignore it. (I just don't want a phantom noise to put you off a good car.)

Thanks for the comments guys. I sat in a new Mazda 3 wagon tonight and dig that too. If the price is right I may find myself in one of them since finding all the options I want in an MP5 seems to be a little more difficult than I expected.

Comment

The Proteges seem to be a solidily built, very good car. The only thing is I've noticed (secondhand, as I have a much older model), the automatic transmission cars don't really seem to get as good mileage as the Toyota Corolla and Civic.
          2006 Mazda 3 hatchback manual

Comment

Protege's don't get quite as good as mileage as the civic/corrolla because of gearing and because all pro's after 2002 have the larger engine (more hp, torque etc.) then the basic civics and corrollas.
            Problem's I've had with my two proteges:
            -fan switch resistor keeps dying rendering my ac useless in certain fan settings
            -rusty rotorhubs, easily solved with a can of paint but annoying
            -cold start rattle, she sounds like a diesel on those -40 mornings but at least she starts!
            -poor wet/snow weather handling, I know that this would be solved by a set of blizzaks but with as much as the tires on the pro's cost (especially our LX) I wish that they had invested in a bit better all season tire. The p5 doesn't really count as those tires are really only 3 season tires.
            -Last but not least the habit of the car pinning whatever passenger is beside me to the window as I accelerate down an onramp.
            The car handles like a dream but doesn't have too much get up in go, enough for daily driving, especially if you get a mtx, atx are a bit slow even with the manumatic feature.
            good luck the p5 is a good car, I have two and have gotten a friend and my mother to buy one so I'd highly recomend it. Otherwise a 3 has its own distinct advantages also.
            2003 Protege5
            Midnight Blue MTX
            2002 Protege LX
            Black Mica MTX

Comment

Working...
            X