Mazdaspeed Camgear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mazdaspeed Camgear

How to adjust the Mazdaspeed Camgear for the Z5 engine.A mechanic told me that the stock camgear can be adjusted for more power is this true or he talking ****.

you can do it with the stock gear, but it's definitely not as accurate. What are you talking about a mazdaspeed camgear? especially on a Z5. . .

Comment

yea he is probably talking about the CS one....... i've thought about getting that

Comment

what's the point? It's a Z5. . .

Comment

I know there a mazdaspeed camgear for the Z5 at corksport. P.S 95 ProLeila you know which part of the engine to ground with the grounding kit.

Comment

the kit should have instructions, the point of a grounding kit is that you ground it to multiple parts of the car, not just one. . .

Comment

hasnt bruce installed this?

Comment

I don't think bruce installed it. If he did, we would have had lots of information on the final achievement of the cam gear. Their is one member who purchased it but I haven't heard any information on it. Honestly, the camgear will not make much of a difference because
                1. We have stock cams.
                2. You would need a head job to fully realize its potential.
                3. And from a previous discussion, I heard that you cannot adjust the camgear to its full potential because the cams are connected to each other in some way I'm not sure. (This is what I heard from a previous discussion)

if you look under the valve cover, the intake and exhaust cam's are attached by a chain - Pigeon
                I'm not really knowledgable about motors but I'm learning. So hopefully that'll be somewhat useful. If you need more information, TheMan and bruce are the way to go. Although their are other members with alot of knowledge, they are the only guys I know off the top of my head with experience with BPs.
                Don't have a car anymore... cry with me

Comment

I installed my cam gear today at school. I must say, it was a b*tch to do.
                  The first time I adjusted it I set it on like +7 degrees and tried it.
                  God it was slow on take off! So I took it all back apart and reset it
                  to -3 degrees of timing. Im pretty satisfied with this setting. It is alot
                  quicker on take off. It kinda jumps up and goes. NOTEI have an automatic too).
                  I would set the degrees all the way back but Im afraid that I might
                  screw something up.

By the way Torpedo, I was the one that purchased it. It sit in my
                  room for 6 months.
                  Mike A.

Comment

you really need to dyno tune that

Comment

Originally posted by 95ProLeila
                      you really need to dyno tune that
                      Maybe one day I will. I dunno how well it will do on other pro's.
                      I guess it depends on what mods you have.
                      As of right now I have the adjustable cam, AEM CAI, and custom
                      catback setup.

I will say this tho, there's a marker on the road where I usually
                      take off from and there's an endpoint. I almost always hit 60 mph
                      at the same point. I tried it today after everything was done and
                      I hit 75 mph! The only thing is, is that if you set the timing for
                      take off you're sacrificing the top end power....

negative degrees = more low end power, less top end power
                      positive degrees = more top end power, less low end power

I hope that sums it up
                      Mike A.

Comment

well ive had mine up to 137 but i would rather have the takeoff power.. but still....the fact that its a z5..

how much did you pay for it?

Comment

[QUOTE=magicfox32]well ive had mine up to 137 but i would rather have the takeoff power.. but still....the fact that its a z5..

Im having a hard time believing that you got your car up to 137 mph....
                          I think thats impossible with a z5. Any who, the cam was $172 shipped
                          to my door from Corksport.
                          Mike A.

Comment

yeah, 137 w/ a bp sure, not a z5

Comment

137 mphs? Sounds like you may be off. Maybe if you had the police interceptor crown vic's or maybe even a turbocharged mazdaspeed. But hitting 137 mphs is close to impossible in my opinion. Fastest I've driven with the Z5 is 118 and that was pushing it. If the motor doesn't blow up on you hitting 137 mphs, maybe the extreme vibration from hitting that fast will change your opinion of hitting 137 mphs. Either way, hitting 137 mphs with a 92 hp motor is highly unlikely. Even if it were a BP, I honestly don't think the BP would hit that fast unless it had a good amount of work done. Probably with the BP, you'd hit around 125. You might wanna ask some of the other members about their experience in top speed.

P.S. I hope you're not from South Carolina because someone i know down here said the same thing and when i told them it was impossible... well they said ya they were joking so u might be joking..... well enough talking from me.
                              Last edited by Torped0; 08-25-2004, 01:58 PM.
                              Don't have a car anymore... cry with me

Comment

Working...
                              X