re-setting ecu?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

re-setting ecu?

this is mainly just a curiosity, like i was just wandering cuz recently i installed aftermarket CAI..... and i didnt reset the ecu(unplug battery for a while) cuz i was too lazy and i still havent so how much of a difference will it make when i get around to doing that? like 3-5hp? or... nothing?

you should always reset the ecu when adding something new or changing something. that way the ecu can relearn with your new mods. disconnect the battery negative, hold the brake pedal down for 15 seconds. reconnect and start it up.
    -mike lucero
    1988 Mazda 323 GTX
    2001 Isuzu Rodeo

Comment

Does anyone know if i reset my ecu in this way will i need to recode my remote central locking (factory system), i work for audi and i know that if you were to do this on an audi you have to take ur car back to the dealer so your central locking can be re-coded. thanks guys.
      Pioneer 7650 HU
      2x Pioneer 10" subs
      Pioneer 2 way 5x7's
      Pioneer 3 way 6"
      Pioneer 4 x 100 WRMS amp
      Pioneer 2 x 100 WRMS amp

Comment

will resetting the ecu affect the car even after i got it flashed?

Comment

Flashed with what??

Comment

Originally posted by Special Blend
            will resetting the ecu affect the car even after i got it flashed?
            No, that program is permanent until another program is loaded in your ECU.

Comment

alright, i reset my ecu after adding new spark plugs and messing with my intake and now the car wont start. what i did was i disconnected the negative wire for like 15 mins went back out and did the resetting of the ecu by turn the key and holding the break for 10 seconds and it wont start when i reconnect the wires. when i mess with the battery wires (taking them off, resetting the ecu over again) and i try starting the car itll work but every other time i try to start my car, it wont start and i have to mess with the wires again to start the car. what is the cure for this problem?
              Last edited by dafoo21; 07-11-2005, 07:22 PM.

Comment

Uhhh... are your cables connected tight? Is there an excessive amount of corrosion? Do you have an alarm system with an ignition disable switch?

Comment

Originally posted by jurgs01
                  Uhhh... are your cables connected tight? Is there an excessive amount of corrosion? Do you have an alarm system with an ignition disable switch?
                  i have an excess amount of corrosion so much that the cables cant be tightened any more. do i buy new wires or new battery? i know now that its a connection problem because my dash lights are lit and when i try to start they disappear and reappear when i turn the key to off.

Comment

Depends on how old your battery is. You can clean your terminals, but I would recommend getting new connectors to crimp on your cables. They also have pads that come with new batteries that supposedly prevent corrosion. At the very least wire brush everything off (with battery disconnected of course).

Comment

Working...
                    X