custom 3way component idea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

custom 3way component idea

I was thinking of doing a custom 3way component setup. i was thinking of buying 2 sets of infinity kappa 6.5 components, or maybe even reference, and putting1 tweeter and 2 woofers per door. this would run about 280 bucks from ikesound. if i did the reference i could around 200 bucks. my other question would be since one of the crossovers would only be running the midbass driver, would if effect the ohms of the crossover??? the cdt has the 3ways on sale for 250 bucks also but no I or anyone else i know has ever heard the cdt in person. i'll probaby be giving the components 180 watts per side so it should keep them happy.
    let me know your ideas.
    '02 classic red p5
    currently enrolled in AA.

if ur gonna go with a diy comp set, i would suggest something a little more sq-propertied than infinity. don't get me wrong, perfects are nice sounding, but in a diy u can pick the best sounding components and match them.

midbass i would choose from:
    dynaudio
    focal
    cdt
    i've heard these are good:
    seas lotus, rainbow, peerless, adire koda, vifa

as for cdt comps, they are very nice.
    i prefer the eurosports, but the hd's and classics are good as well.

after reading ur post again, i need to ask if u think one tweeter would be sufficient for dual midbass drivers?
    -onehawaiian | My 2002 P5 Funk
    >> NOTHING INSTALLED <<
    **Team Punani-Luvah**

Comment

i'm not sure, i was just gona try it with one and see, if i needed the other then i would put it in. i wish i had the money for a set of adire koda components, but they are 350 bucks they 'say' the BA z series are awesome, but just a little expensive, 1000.
      hey the cdt euro are only 750 bucks i might wait and see how the ed components sound, and the re xxx components. I know alot of people don't like to keep the same brand all the way through b/c you can usually get more for less,but if eds components are just as good as their subs, then i will run a complete ed/tsunami setup i was gona run a re xxx 10" but after doing some number crunching, i'm gona go with a ed A sub. it cost less and puts out more spl i've also considered running RF 3way components as well. i just want a "full" sound upfront and not have to pay a grand for it
      Last edited by walight01; 09-26-2003, 01:33 AM.
      '02 classic red p5

Comment

i'm sure ed's comps are gonna be sweet, and they would have the edge in cost.
        the cdt eurosports are solid comp sets that do serious battle with focal utopia's, which to date i find to be the smoothest sounding comps on the market.
        but the cdt's ES are half the price of the utopia's:
        CDT Eurosport 2way Components
        and CDT Eurosport 3way Components

i love matching all my components. tho generally it doesn't make any differece, it's still aesthetically pleasing.
        >> NOTHING INSTALLED <<
        **Team Punani-Luvah**

Comment

holy crap.
          the zeb has a solid sale on "older" model cdt's:
          CDT at the Zeb

$450 for the ES 2ways???
          >> NOTHING INSTALLED <<
          **Team Punani-Luvah**

Comment

If I understand you correctly you want to put 2 6.5 woofer/mids and a tweeter in your doors,It will work .As for wiring use both Xovers .
            Take you wiring from the output of the amp and run it to the input of both Xovers , using the mid output to each speaker . The single tweeter would be run of of one of the xovers tweeter out puts. The will give you an effective load of 2 ohms on the 6.5s and 4 ohms for the tweeer . I have heard a combo like this and the midbass attack to all up front

2001 LX 2.0 Grace green metallic with gold graphics,
            Motegi MR12 rims in gold
            Falken Zeix 502's 205/40/17,
            MDC Enterprises short throw shifter,Sparco shift knob,
            Sparco pedal set,Vibrant axle back muffler , MDC Enterprises CAIwith K&N filtercone,Ractive strut bar,MP3 rear swaybar,Tien S-tech springs ,AWR engine mounts,AWR adjustable endlinks,AWR rear trailing arms,Konig rear wing colour matched ,Altezza tail lights edges colour matched to car.P5 front seats,
            P5 front conversion with side skirts

Comment

I don't think it will affect the ohms of the crossover because that is all it is, a crossover. I am not sure what the amp will see as far as how many ohms since the tweeter is out of the equation. I would think around or close to 2ohms all together.
              2001 ES (Featured at SoundDomain)

Pioneer/SoundStream/JBL/Coustic/Elemental Designs/Focal/
              KnuKonceptz/Lightning Audio/SoundQuest/Tiff/
              Gel America/Dynamo Deep Cycle Battery/
              Groundkit

Comment

your probably going to have to much mid and not enouf high. you better go with the type X from alpine they are true 3 way speaker.
                2012 Kia rio
                2009 Nissan Frontier
                1997 chaparral 180LE

Comment

Originally posted by onehawaiian
                  if ur gonna go with a diy comp set, i would suggest something a little more sq-propertied than infinity. don't get me wrong, perfects are nice sounding, but in a diy u can pick the best sounding components and match them.

midbass i would choose from:
                  dynaudio
                  focal
                  cdt
                  i've heard these are good:
                  seas lotus, rainbow, peerless, adire koda, vifa

as for cdt comps, they are very nice.
                  i prefer the eurosports, but the hd's and classics are good as well.

after reading ur post again, i need to ask if u think one tweeter would be sufficient for dual midbass drivers?
                  I got in here a little late, but my sister's boyfriend bought the CDTs you are talking about, and before that he had the Inifinty Reference. His exact words "I never thought I would say my infinities sounded like ****". He let me listen to the CDTs in his car, and it was amazing, such clarity.

I also have a set of CDTs (2-way), but I haven't been able to hook them up yet
                  Dan
                  dreesemonkey

Comment

Wiring Diagram

I hope this works

2001 LX 2.0 Grace green metallic with gold graphics,
                    Motegi MR12 rims in gold
                    Falken Zeix 502's 205/40/17,
                    MDC Enterprises short throw shifter,Sparco shift knob,
                    Sparco pedal set,Vibrant axle back muffler , MDC Enterprises CAIwith K&N filtercone,Ractive strut bar,MP3 rear swaybar,Tien S-tech springs ,AWR engine mounts,AWR adjustable endlinks,AWR rear trailing arms,Konig rear wing colour matched ,Altezza tail lights edges colour matched to car.P5 front seats,
                    P5 front conversion with side skirts

Comment

get one set of 5.25" components that you've heard, and like. then add a set of koda's up front with them set the high pass x-over on the amp a bit higher for the components, and set the kodas with a low pass, if you can set it high enoug, and run a cap inline with it to block the low bass. or if the amp doesn't have a high enough low pass x-over, set the high pass x-over to about 80 hz, and run a coil inline with it, to cut out the high freq's

Comment

Originally posted by funkdaddysmack
                        I got in here a little late, but my sister's boyfriend bought the CDTs you are talking about, and before that he had the Inifinty Reference. His exact words "I never thought I would say my infinities sounded like ****". He let me listen to the CDTs in his car, and it was amazing, such clarity.

I also have a set of CDTs (2-way), but I haven't been able to hook them up yet
                        how much power was he running to the infinity or the cdt's?

I know how to wire the speakers, i just wasn't sure what ohm load the amp would see

i might just jump the cash of the adire components and run it that way, i just wish they are 2 ohms and not 4
                        Last edited by walight01; 09-26-2003, 12:27 PM.
                        '02 classic red p5

Comment

Working...
                        X