Clear All

Miata Piston thread...revisited

Ok here is the list Jesse gave me:
    90-93 Protege pistons = 8.8:1
    94 Protege pistons = 9.0:1
    94-97 Miata Pistons = 9.0:1
    99-00 Miata pistons = 9.5:1
    01+ Miata pistons = 10.0:1

I'd be interested in the 99-00 pistons because of the little bit of an increase in compression ratio and possibility of finding aftermarket forged ones or something. My question: do these fit directly into the Protege?
    -Robert
    '93 Protege Turbo LX 5-speed

-GTX VJ-20 turbo w/ custom downpipe, Haltech E6K Kit w/ 3Bar MAP sensor & O2 sensor (Engine Management System), .040 overbored pistons with slightly raised compression, Resurfaced cylinder head & valve job, GReddy Type-S BOV, Turbo XS boost controller, 450cc injectors, Walbro 255lph fuel pump, 22"x9"x3" FMIC, full 3" exhaust w/ Catco Catylic converter & Summit Turbo Muffler, ACT Clutch Kit (stage 2), Uretheane shifter bushing, Triple Gauge Pod w/ Boost, Air/Fuel Ratio, and Oil Pressure gauges, Falken Azenis Sport 195/60HR14 tires on steelies.

yes
    "Never run out of real estate, traction & ideas at the same time"
    -93 MR2, 129 ES
    ClubProtege.com Tech Articles

Originally posted by WTF
    Remember low compression makes more space for AIR, HEEELLOOOO!

Comment

Originally posted by JesseSays
      yes
      Cool, now is there any good sites that sells those pistons overbored?
      -Robert
      '93 Protege Turbo LX 5-speed

-GTX VJ-20 turbo w/ custom downpipe, Haltech E6K Kit w/ 3Bar MAP sensor & O2 sensor (Engine Management System), .040 overbored pistons with slightly raised compression, Resurfaced cylinder head & valve job, GReddy Type-S BOV, Turbo XS boost controller, 450cc injectors, Walbro 255lph fuel pump, 22"x9"x3" FMIC, full 3" exhaust w/ Catco Catylic converter & Summit Turbo Muffler, ACT Clutch Kit (stage 2), Uretheane shifter bushing, Triple Gauge Pod w/ Boost, Air/Fuel Ratio, and Oil Pressure gauges, Falken Azenis Sport 195/60HR14 tires on steelies.

Comment

Why would you want to increase the compression ration when you are running a turbo?
        -------------------------
        '91 LX
        '03 Mazdaspeed Protege #235

Originally posted by pigeon
        well if you're a fan of inaccuracy and uncertainty.... then by all means, go set your timing by feel and sound

while you're out there, you might as well adjust your air/fuel ratio by smell... and your tire pressure by ride height

Comment

Originally posted by Identity_X
          Why would you want to increase the compression ration when you are running a turbo?
          hmmm, off the top of my head...

1) better spool up
          2) better gas mileage
          3) more power
          4) more efficient
          5) more off-boost power
          -93 MR2, 129 ES

Originally posted by WTF

Comment

What exactly determines the compression? Is it the pistons, cams, or combination of both? I am asking because I am SURE that I've read posts where it was mentioned numerous times that high compression cams (more aggressive cams) are not turbo firendly....wouldn't that concept be the same for higher compression pistons or am I missing something here?
            '91 LX
            '03 Mazdaspeed Protege #235

Originally posted by pigeon
            well if you're a fan of inaccuracy and uncertainty.... then by all means, go set your timing by feel and sound

while you're out there, you might as well adjust your air/fuel ratio by smell... and your tire pressure by ride height

Comment

cams don't increase compression. True you don't want overlap on a turbo
              2006 Mazda 3 hatchback manual

Comment

Compression is like that amount of air & fuel you fit into the cylinder and compress it into a 1" space. For example, the piston moves down 11" and that 11" is filled with the air and fuel mixture, then the piston moves back up and compresses the air and fuel mixture into a 1" space, giving you an 11:1 compression ratio. Now this is what I was taught in my auto class. So I guess the higher compression ratio that you can have will give you more air and fuel to compress thus making more power.

If im wrong PLEASE correct me.
                Eat ****.

Comment

Originally posted by Identity_X
                  What exactly determines the compression? Is it the pistons, cams, or combination of both? I am asking because I am SURE that I've read posts where it was mentioned numerous times that high compression cams (more aggressive cams) are not turbo firendly....wouldn't that concept be the same for higher compression pistons or am I missing something here?
                  combonation, depending on what type of compression you're talking about.

Static compression is based solely off the pistons and head. Dynamic compression includes cams and cam timing as well as the others.
                  -93 MR2, 129 ES

Originally posted by WTF

Comment

-93 MR2, 129 ES

Originally posted by WTF

Comment

what kind of gain are expected from these herre pistons? i might strap some in!
                      Serenity's Dead.

Comment

Originally posted by KiddX
                        what kind of gain are expected from these herre pistons? i might strap some in!
                        not a ton, maybe 5 hp throughout the entire powerband.

As I've said before, engines are a combination of 1000s of things. 1 will not make the entire system totally different. When you start combining optimized pieces all over the place, that's when you see real gains.
                        -93 MR2, 129 ES

Originally posted by WTF

Comment

lower compression pistons

I know its an old thread but can help the nonsense and pure BS Jessy says brings up about higher compression in a turbo combo...

Its obvious you have never worked with turbo cars, the kind of nonsense you are bringin up is so damn ridiculous.

If some good free advice Spoolin Pro will have is:

Dude, get the Protege DX SOHC pistons especially from an automatic, the gains in power with a turbo is so stupidly insane!!! 100% gaurantee, NO BS.

I did this combo with a BP05 turbo, took out the stock pistons and put in the DX pistons in a BP05 turbo, DUDE, maybe you would feel a little lag, BUT once that turbo spool up, you better have a good clutch and performance tires cause you are gonna be eatin the road. When I swtiched from stock BP05 pistons to the DX SOHC I gained around 30 HP easy. I assume you have 2.25 of exhaust or more, good muffler, and a fuel pump to back up all this air.

Have you ever seen the low stock compression pistons of a Turbo targa Supra, you can drink beer in one of those. The car would be humble and peaceful at low rpms but once you know how to spool up that rubo the road is yours.

HELLO!?

MAYDAY!!!!
                          Last edited by WTF; 08-23-2004, 12:32 AM. Reason: hhmmmmm!

Comment

LOL 30hp huh???

Ever seen those Champ cars, some of em run like 14:1 compression turbo v8s.

Jesse is 100% right in his posts. Most people run low compression pistons because its safer and has a less chance of detonating. Plus 100+ octane gas isnt cheap.

What is the BP05 turbo??? LOL.....and arent the sohc pistons higher comp than the dohc pistons? Hmmm maybe jesse was right.....
                            Eat ****.

Comment

I'm going to start deleting stupid posts in my sections
                              Last edited by charles; 08-23-2004, 01:11 AM.
                              2006 Mazda 3 hatchback manual

Comment

Working...
                              X