Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

96 Protege Auto Transmission and more

Ok , newbie here..
    My girlfriend got a 96 Auto and the Trans mission is slipping and shifts really hard. Could that be the Torque converter? Something else

Also usually when its wet out side or the engine is cold, Once she starts the car it makes this loud loud loud high pitched squeaking noise... But it soon goes away after she starts driving after a minute or so..

Could that be the belts, timing belt, pulleys, ????

Last question, how much relatively would a new Trans cost?

Thanks
    Steven
    Last edited by BlownGP; 08-26-2004, 02:18 PM.
    VOTE FOR ME

You Don't Work, You Don't Eat, You Don't Grind, You Don't Shine

dont know, dont know, dont know, Is that your buser.
    According to my Anger Management Counselor, after 26 weeks of anger management class, I should be an expert when it comes to Anger Management...tell that to the guy who threw a starburst at my car in rush hour traffic...haha

Todays thought of the day:

Rice is great if your really hungry and want to eat 2000 of something.

Mitch Hedberg

Comment

Originally posted by fuq_A_vtec
      dont know, dont know, dont know, Is that your buser.
      Thanks

YES
      VOTE FOR ME

Comment

Check the transmission fluid level. Sounds kinda like a loose drive belt.
        2006 Mazda 3 hatchback manual

Comment

Same thing happens to mine, but its only really bad going to 2nd gear i think it is or up untill i start going about 20mph then it shifts really hard the rest are still hard when it shifts but there not as bad..........mines a 96 prtege lx automatic so maybe there was a recall on them?? i dunno but it sucks everything seems to be fine.
          Last edited by Mazda96Protege; 08-26-2004, 04:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by charles
            Check the transmission fluid level. Sounds kinda like a loose drive belt.
            Fluids good

I think she had the ACC. replaced a few monthes ago..

???????????
            VOTE FOR ME

Comment

When was the last time the tranny was flushed, and also the last time the belts were changed? Flushing your tranny might help you get smoother shifting, but it might not help with the slipping situation.
              "Probable impossibilities are to be preferred to improbable possibilities."

Comment

Well she wants a MazdaSpeed Protege, but she can’t afford one now that she’s back in school.

So she doesn’t mind spending a couple thousand for a new tranny as long it gets her through school.

The amazing part is that this has been going on for about a year and the bitch is still going!!!! LOL

Is the tranny pan accessible, because I might just drain and fill the fluid, but if its not. I will have someone check it out..

Thanks
                Steven
                VOTE FOR ME

Comment

Yup yup, I can attest to this. There is a puddle in front of my parent's house where all the fluid just leaked out from my old green Protege. It started coming out a dark gray color, meaning the clutches and whatnot were just mixed into the fluid. I did not have records from 70,000-104,000 miles for the service of the car, and I guess the last owner did not flush the fluid as recommended at 90,000miles.
                  2006 Mazda 3 hatchback manual

Comment

She had the tranny flushed about 8 monthes ago. I guess shes just going to have it rebuilt..

Thanks guys for all your help...
                    VOTE FOR ME

Comment

Working...
                    X