wheels scrape

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wheels scrape

i have 17 inch rims with 225/45 toyo proxy tires. And just recently i noticed that when i go over a bump or when i go up a hill off a 15 mph turn the back wheel or sometimes both scrape the wheel well. should i get the suspension tightened or what. i was planing on getting it lowered 2 inches or so soon could i still do taht?
    97 1.5L protege LX

20% tint,
    17" rims (off for the winter)
    performance muffler
    2 10"subs
    other little things

Im not sure about second gen, but it seems as if your tires may bee too wide...I have 205's on my 3rd gen and scrape badly.
    According to my Anger Management Counselor, after 26 weeks of anger management class, I should be an expert when it comes to Anger Management...tell that to the guy who threw a starburst at my car in rush hour traffic...haha

Todays thought of the day:

Rice is great if your really hungry and want to eat 2000 of something.

Mitch Hedberg

Comment

i had 205/50/16's with a 2.25" drop and i scraped my backs.. gotta have the KYB's to stiffen it up a bit.. thats my problem.. might also need to get teh rear fenders rolled.. that stupid lip inside.
      98 Protege SE
      -------------------
      1.5L Turbo

Comment

I have the same problem with my 2nd gen. I have the KYB struts with a Ground Control coilovers and my rear tires rub the insides of the fenders. I only have a 1.75" drop. I would like to know if the Mazdaspeed rear arm kit would help stiffen up the rear a little. I know I will have to roll the rear fenders no matter what.
        current mods:

bodykit with custom green paint
        55" Matrix GR Motorsports two element wing
        clear corner lens
        17" Enkei RS6 wheels with 205/40R17 rubber
        Ground Control coilover kit
        KYB GR-2 struts
        LED undercar kit
        Tenzo Racing seats
        Pioneer Premier DEH-860MP head unit
        2 Cadence 12" subs
        Cadence 1000 watt amp
        Lightning Audio 1.0 farad capacitor
        Pioneer Premier front and rear speakers

future mods:

engine swap
        custom interior
        upgraded sound system

Comment

I think your problem is your tires. 225 all around, I think, is a bit too wide. Your handling is great, I bet. But your mileage is not so. Getting the Mazdaspeed rear arm kit would not do you any good. It does stiffen the suspension, but not in the way you are thinking. What you do need is Mazdaspeed struts. That will give you the damping you might need. But like I said, I think your tires are too wide. I have 1.3" drop with H&R springs with KYB struts, and 205/55R15. I never scraped, even with the car being fully loaded.
          "Probable impossibilities are to be preferred to improbable possibilities."

Comment

My tires only scrape when i hit a good size bump at high speed. I have 205s on my car, and i'm sure that's the difference.
            current mods:

bodykit with custom green paint
            55" Matrix GR Motorsports two element wing
            clear corner lens
            17" Enkei RS6 wheels with 205/40R17 rubber
            Ground Control coilover kit
            KYB GR-2 struts
            LED undercar kit
            Tenzo Racing seats
            Pioneer Premier DEH-860MP head unit
            2 Cadence 12" subs
            Cadence 1000 watt amp
            Lightning Audio 1.0 farad capacitor
            Pioneer Premier front and rear speakers

future mods:

engine swap
            custom interior
            upgraded sound system

Comment

SLOW DOWN!!!!

I have 17/205/40 on my car with a 2.25 drop and have never scraped.

No matter the bump 15 mph max.
              Patrick Sean-Tiu Santiago

Current state:240 whp and 215.6 ft/lbs torque
              FOR SALE $9500

Cardomain
              Mmmm...BPT goodness!!!

Comment

I have 17's with 205/40/17 with 1.75" drop and have never scraped.

Comment

Check out what happened to day after school. I was getting ready to pull out of the school parking lot with Becker and i in the front, bone and phill in the back. the car dropped and i could hear the wheels scraping the wheel well. It smelled awfull. WHen they got out of the car it luckly pooped back up. i am going tomorrow and we are going to get it lowered most likely. I was debating geting struts leaning toward getting them to tighten up the suspension. tell me what u think

thanks
                  97 1.5L protege LX

20% tint,
                  17" rims (off for the winter)
                  performance muffler
                  2 10"subs
                  other little things

Comment

Working...
                  X