Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

z5 turbo finished.. some problems i need opinions on....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

z5 turbo finished.. some problems i need opinions on....

( From yesterday ) my 1.5L is finally home. i had to drive it from EssentialSpeed to Picton.. a question i have.

it has a stock fuel pump right now.. i'm running at 5psi right now.. non intercooled..

during the rush hour traffice today (start stop) my car shifts into second (its an automatic) then when i have to stop, it drops down to idle and sputters... it actually stalled 3 times.. it doesn't like the shift from 2nd down to idle.. is there not enough fuel getting thru? anyone have an idea?

( Today ) i have another problem on my hands.. I drove to my favourite mechanic friend to show him the setup, and as we look on the ground there's a nice green puddle.. and its dripping like mad.. there's a river of coolant along the ridge of my rad... i won't be able to get it looked at till early next week, which is fine. i have my van.. but do you guys know what might be a cause? it overheated on me once since the problem, just trying to get it to crappy tire.. it cools down a little when i drive it, but as soon as i'm stopped, i can watch the temp needle rise..

is the stock rad not cooling fast enough? Essential put 2 new fans on it.. maybe cause it sat so long? too much boost? any ideas for me to look at come next week?
    98 Protege SE
    -------------------
    1.5L Turbo

Considering you are the first to do this, I am not sure if your questions could be answered easy. As far as decelerating to idle is concerned, I do not think the fuel pump has anything to do with it. I think, that could be your ECU. If you kept it stock, it might not be accepting new inputs coming from your sensors (MAF, O2, and such). But then again, this is only a theory of mine.

As far as over heating, ES could have not tighten the clamps on the radiator hoses hard enough, or your radiator has been damaged in some way. Our cars do have very small engine bays, and the turbo has got to be located very close to it. I cannot remember what your set-up looks like. I think you only posted one pic of it. I hope you find the solutions to your problem quick, and actually get to enjoy your ride. Goodluck.
    "Probable impossibilities are to be preferred to improbable possibilities."

Comment

here is the final setup.. i can't really get in close to see the turbo itself.. but its tucked in there..
      I have a Vortech FMU, so the O2 probably is at fault...

98 Protege SE
      -------------------
      1.5L Turbo

Comment

So, is it worth investing money into? Is it fast with an auto???
        Mike A.

Comment

As far as overheating....

stock 1.5 radiator should be fine. i ran a stock radiator and fans for over a year. what you might want to plan on doing is:

1) upgrading to a copper dual row radiator. i have that and its fine no probs.

2) get a lower temp thermostat (i got mine from a small block chevy)

As far as the spuddering and whatnot...

could be the auto trans and the CPU not regulating the air fuel mixture with the turbo, but then again your turbo isn't runing at idle. you can try to turn up your idle to 900 that should cure the prob. i had a similiar probelm before when i had my HKS piggy back. but then again it might not be the same exact probem. so yea. hope this helps. =)
          Patrick Sean-Tiu Santiago

Current state:240 whp and 215.6 ft/lbs torque
          FOR SALE $9500

Cardomain
          Mmmm...BPT goodness!!!

Comment

definitely swap to a manual. max cost will probbably be like 750$

FOR SALE $9500

Cardomain
            Mmmm...BPT goodness!!!

Comment

yeah as for the coolant leak, check any hose clamps, and connections, might be a small leak, or it could be from your coolant feed line into the turbo, im assuming the turbo is water cooled, so check that as well, for the stalling, thats a realllll common problem with turbo cars, mine did it for a while, when i came down from boost, or even normal driving for that matter, it wanted to stall out, i adjusted my idle higher, and solved the problem.

you NEED to get it to a dyno ASAP and see what your air/fuel readings look like, you could have some serious problems with a stock fuel pump, and stock injectors, cause the 1.6 litre injectors are 155cc, so i know the z5 has to be lower, if not the same. so you could be crazy lean.
              .....HELLO MY NAME IS BEN...

186.08whp
              225.94wtq
              torque monster!!!!
              dyno graph 8-10-and 12psi
              http://www.msprotege.com/members/THE...no%20graph.jpg
              http://videos.streetfire.net/player....0-C19CA06AF01E dyno vid

blahblahblahblahblahblah

Comment

yes def upgrade the injectors and fuel pump

FOR SALE $9500

Cardomain
                Mmmm...BPT goodness!!!

Comment

yeah take it from me YOU NEED TO UPGRADE THE INJECTORS i upgraded the pump to an rx7 one, and have a fmu, but it does nothing with stock injectors
                  .....HELLO MY NAME IS BEN...

186.08whp
                  225.94wtq
                  torque monster!!!!
                  dyno graph 8-10-and 12psi
                  http://www.msprotege.com/members/THE...no%20graph.jpg
                  http://videos.streetfire.net/player....0-C19CA06AF01E dyno vid

blahblahblahblahblahblah

Comment

thanks alot for the help guys.. i'll see what i can do over the course of next week... i appreciate it alot!
                    98 Protege SE
                    -------------------
                    1.5L Turbo

Comment

is it worth the money.. well driving it home was soooo much fun.. the top end is amazing.. it just pulls... it just feels like it wants to go go go... i get up to 120km/h and its not even close to slowing up.. i'm afraid to push it more till i get it running perfect...

the kinks i'm working out now makes it seem iffy.. but its worth it to me.. it feels like a different car..
                      98 Protege SE
                      -------------------
                      1.5L Turbo

Comment

So, how much is the kit? If it's around $1500 I might have to go ahead and purchase me one.
                        Mike A.

Comment

well, you'll have to email Kevin at Essentialspeed or call him.. www.essentialspeed.com

but i can guarantee it won't be $1500.00.. maybe double it...
                          98 Protege SE
                          -------------------
                          1.5L Turbo

Comment

saweetness!!!
                            Maroon 1995 Probe SE
                            Beige 1994 Protege DX
                            Silver 2001 Protege ES

Comment

thats tight

have any guesses on hp now?

how does it sound?