changed my brakes; now i've got questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

changed my brakes; now i've got questions

I changed my brakes last weekend (pads and rotors, front and rear) on my 2002 Protege5. It took me a really long time, because I've never done brakes before, but everything went mostly OK. I took pictures and plan to create a HOWTO soon, even though I see there's already a pretty good one in the How-To section.

I've got a question though. I get a scraping sound from the front of the car. It's not constant; it varies with wheel speed. Sort of a skish-skish-skish. It is only when I'm turning left, and it comes and goes. Mostly it doesn't happen at all. Anybody know what causes this?

I'm wondering if it could be the M-clips rubbing on the rotor. I'm not sure I reinstalled them properly. Does anyone have a good picture of them properly installed? Plus, the kind of got bent up a little as I tried to put them back in. Anybody know if you can buy these from Mazda or from an auto parts store? I can't find them, and it looks like Mazda only sells the clips as part of the brake pad kit.

Thanks.

Visit my car page: http://www.thinkythings.org/p5/p5home.html
    '02 Black Protege5
    '93 Gray Protege DX

double check that the dust shield is not bent and possibly touching the rotor. That is the thin metal peice that sits behind the rotor (engine side) and runs about 3/4 of the way around the rotor.

Comment

Originally posted by TheMAN
      did you turn the rotors?
      No. I installed new Power Slot rotors. The instructions said not to do anything (such as machining them). Just slap them on. So I did.

I should take the opportunity to mention that I also replaced the stock brake lines with braided steel ones, and my current hypothesis is that one of the new lines is bending when I turn and touching the wheel. I should be able to detect that by lifting the car and turning the wheels and (if that's the problem) correct it by adjusting the position of the cable.
      '02 Black Protege5
      '93 Gray Protege DX

Comment

Well, I found the scraping problem. The outboard pad seems to have some pitting going on, and there's groove in the rotor that corresponds to the spot where the pad is pitted. None of the other new pads seem to be doing this.

Is this going to be a problem? Or will the pad wear down past the rough spot and be OK?

Stopping distance doesn't seem to be impacted at all.
        '02 Black Protege5
        '93 Gray Protege DX

Comment

OK, I found some threads elsewhere that said the problem could be with the "guide clips" that the brake pads are seated in. Sure enough, I found that (1) one of my clips was bent a bit and (2) it lined up with the marks in the rotor. I bent the clip back with a pair of pliers, and the problem got better but didn't go away.

The clip was still sticking out past the height of the pad, so I got out a file and filed it down a bit. Things are OK now, but I worry that as the pad wears down, the clip will again be higher than the pad.

We'll see how it goes.
          '02 Black Protege5
          '93 Gray Protege DX

Comment

Working...
          X