Header questions... (repost)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Header questions... (repost)

Originaly posted on Pclub. Copied and edited for informational purposes.

I just picked up a Pacesetter header and I got a few questions before I attempt to install it:

1.) Can I in any way make the header perform better? Enlarge the inlet openings or something along those lines?

2.) I have no idea what the coating of the header is. Judging by the pictures, can you determine what the coating is? On one side the header is starting to rust so I am thinking of painting it to prevent further corrosion. Should I look into special header paint or would any high temp paint do the job (caliper paint, valve cover paint ….etc)? I would ceramic coat it but I have no idea where to get that done and how much it would cost.

3.) How hard is it to install it? It seems like the heat shield would be a bitch to take off because there is very little room for work??? Will anything else need to be removed so the heat shield can come out?

Any other suggestions will be appreciated as well. Thanks guys!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Posted by ne3ek on May-14th-2003 11:35 PM:

I can help you with number 3... It's not toooo hard. The heatshields bolts aren't that bad, I believe one was in a tought area, it's located on the right towards the middle of the manifold. Be careful, those bolts can't wait to break. I would suggest getting a new manifold and downpipe gasket, they can't be in good shape

Umm think you -may- have to remove your radiator (not for the heatshield, but for the actual manifold).. I can't remember if I did (it was a long time ago) I'm sure someone else can elaborate. It comes with an o2 sensor too! sweet, mine broke when i was removing it, not fun at all.. good luck dude. Hope some of this jibberish helps lol

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Posted by Identity_X on May-14th-2003 11:41 PM:

I'll have to pick up the gaskets. After 12 years, I am pretty sure they need changing anyways.

As for having to remove the radiator. If so, this would be a pain. I just replaced the lower radiator hose like month ago. Still can't get the smell of antifreeze out of my head......blah......
    Thanks for the input, but I truly hope you are wrong on the radiator part.

Posted by PseudoRealityX on May-14th-2003 11:57 PM:

Search the world's information, including webpages, images, videos and more. Google has many special features to help you find exactly what you're looking for.

get it coated. definately worth it.

As for the inlets, you want them a bit larger than the port itself. Make sure you trim the gasket so that it doesn't interupt with flow.

Posted by mazdaspeedwest on May-15th-2003 01:55 AM:

Are you sure it's a Pacesetter?

All the ones i've seen are 1 peice.

Posted by Davard on May-15th-2003 09:38 AM:

quote:
    Originally posted by mazdaspeedwest
    Are you sure it's a Pacesetter?

All the ones i've seen are 1 peice.

Yeah, mine is one (long) piece. The Genie is two piece, but is a 4-2-1, and just as long as the Pacesetter. Don't know who's header than is. Maybe Gude?

Removing the radiator makes things easier, but might not be needed to install that header.
    -------------------------
    '91 LX
    '03 Mazdaspeed Protege #235

Originally posted by pigeon
    well if you're a fan of inaccuracy and uncertainty.... then by all means, go set your timing by feel and sound

while you're out there, you might as well adjust your air/fuel ratio by smell... and your tire pressure by ride height

Posted by happydog2 on May-16th-2003 06:50 AM:

Performance Coatings http://www.performancecoatings.com/ do a terrific job of header coating...they'll coat both the inside and outside of your header for $140. Coating the inside not only inhibits corrosion, but also helps reduce under-hood temperature by getting more of the heat out the exhaust before it can soak into the metal (make sense?).

I would remove the radiator for this job...it's surprisignly easy and quick, and it will give you a LOT more room to work and you'll reduce your chances of damaging your radiator. Remember, when you take it out, you can leave your cooling fan attached. Remember to plug your fan back in when reassembling.

Jim

Posted by Identity_X on May-21st-2003 05:40 AM:

The header was sold to me as a Pacesetter by a EGT owner. It seems like he was a little confused. The header is not a Pacesetter and it is not a Genie. I would assume that it’s a Gude, but I haven’t been able to find a picture of a Gude header so I am not certain. I am still waiting for a reply from the guy who sold it to me. Maybe he made an error while advertising his sale. Anyways, I really wish I can ceramic coat the header but as of now it is out of my budget range. I have not been able to find a place online that will do it for less than $100. Today I began the installation. Didn’t have much more time than just to take the heat shield off. I was surprised that the bolts hoding it actually moved as they were rusted badly. There’s 8 of them and although room for work was really limited I was able to unscrew them without any trouble. Taking the heatshield out was a bit tricky. I removed the fan for more room and was able to pull the heatshield out from the top. I did bend some of the fins on the radiator, but not that many of them. I am hoping that I would not need to take the radiator off when removing the actual header. Tomorrow I am off to the local auto stores for gaskets. Here’s a pic of the stock header with the heatshield off:

Posted by Identity_X on May-22nd-2003 06:11 AM:

I went to Autozone, PepBoys, and CarQuest today and none of them had the exhaust manifold gasket in stock. Autozone was the only place that I had an option of ordering it from, the other places did not carry that part whatsoever. I don’t have time to wait for a gasket because I am stranded with no car as long as the header is off. I’ll probably end up using my current one. It’s all metal and seems to be in decent shape for its age. Taking off the exhaust manifold wasn’t fun. The bolts were in some hard to reach places and my hands got cut up along the way. Definitely not fun. The damn thing was heavy too. Out of curiosity I took a scale out and weighted both of the headers. According to the scale the oem one is approximately 14lb and the one I am putting on is around 4lb. A 10lb difference is a lot. The heat shield is another pound or two as well. I ran out of time for today, but I am hoping to complete the job tomorrow. It’s taking me much longer than I expected. Here are some pictures for comparison:

Posted by PseudoRealityX on May-22nd-2003 06:47 AM:

The Gude piece WAS off-road only, and from emails I exchanged with them back in 2000, didn't have the o2 bung. So either this is something different, or someone welded the bung on. but it WAS a 4 into 1.

Posted by THAPRO1 on May-22nd-2003 07:18 AM:

quote:
    A 10lb difference is a lot.
    man 10 lbs? thats pretty kool i'm looking for a header too out of the 3 mentioned who is the best in you guys opinon? which makes the most power? thanks

Posted by Identity_X on May-22nd-2003 06:06 PM:

quote:
    Originally posted by PseudoRealityX
    The Gude piece WAS off-road only, and from emails I exchanged with them back in 2000, didn't have the o2 bung. So either this is something different, or someone welded the bung on. but it WAS a 4 into 1.

That's good to know. I am pretty sure that this is the Gude header then, because the guy that I bought it from said that it was a 're-weld' He probably welded on the O2 sensor as you suggested. Thanks for that info. Hopefully I'll still be able to pass emissions with this thing on.

Posted by Identity_X on May-23rd-2003 03:04 AM:

Well, the header is officially on. I just came back from a test drive and I must say that I am really happy with it. I was very surprised at the difference it made especially between 2-4k rpm. The car ‘picks up’ a lot faster now. It also changed the sound a bit. I do hear some rattling and I have to locate it and fix it because it is annoying. Overall this was definitely worth the money. The need for speed is satisfied………for now.

Here’s a picture of what the header looks like installed:

Posted by mazdaspeedwest on May-24th-2003 01:33 AM:

Don't worry it gets easier with time , last time i swapped out my RMM header for stock (had to weld a crack) and then swapped it back in, i had it down to a 35min job, off and on.

Also, you'll notice a bit more gain if you add a better downpipe back to the cat.
    Last edited by Identity_X; 09-26-2003, 01:14 PM.
    '91 LX
    '03 Mazdaspeed Protege #235

Originally posted by pigeon
    well if you're a fan of inaccuracy and uncertainty.... then by all means, go set your timing by feel and sound

while you're out there, you might as well adjust your air/fuel ratio by smell... and your tire pressure by ride height

Comment

when are they gonna make some for the SOHC?
      I know this question's been asked aplenty but this is a repost anyway.
      '93 protege DX 5 spd.

yo mammy

Comment

Originally posted by Tai Mai Shu
        when are they gonna make some for the SOHC?
        I know this question's been asked aplenty but this is a repost anyway.
        yeah C_U_S_T_O_M i have aturbo mani made up but i wont part with it just yet. if you want get the pacesetter, cut the flange off, and have the flange from your stock exaust mani welded on. other than that c-u-s-t-o-m!
        When you turn your car on... does it return the favor?

Originally posted by goldstar
        Yes, still have it. It was my attempt to immortalize you in verse.

A Protege driver named Brock
        Once said 7 seconds he'd clock.
        So his engine he goosed
        With much too much boost,
        And drove a rod through his block.

Comment

what kind of gain is a DOHC going to get off a set of headers, im looking at the GENIE, anyone have them on? gain?
          Serenity's Dead.

Comment

Your not going to gain much with just a single product. It's the relationship between multiple products that release the true potential. A header alone will do nothing more than increase noise and a slight gain here and there. Now couple that with an intake, cat-back exhaust, etc...then the power gains become meaningful.

Comment

Originally posted by Protoss
              yeah C_U_S_T_O_M i have aturbo mani made up but i wont part with it just yet. if you want get the pacesetter, cut the flange off, and have the flange from your stock exaust mani welded on. other than that c-u-s-t-o-m!
              trying to save money. It'd be a lot cheaper to get it aftermarket than custom.
              So you're saying the dohc header should fit if I just weld the flanges? is that a guaranteed fit?
              '93 protege DX 5 spd.

yo mammy

Comment

ok chop off the DOHC flanges, then chop off the SOHC flanges, swap them, then weld the DOHC headr that has the sohc flange. why wouldn't it fit? my might have an issue with a downpipe, but 80 bucks at a muffler shop can fit that
                When you turn your car on... does it return the favor?

Originally posted by goldstar
                Yes, still have it. It was my attempt to immortalize you in verse.

A Protege driver named Brock
                Once said 7 seconds he'd clock.
                So his engine he goosed
                With much too much boost,
                And drove a rod through his block.

Comment

okok, so say i get the genie headers, into a custom downpipe (2 inch or bigger?" into a high flow cat, into 2 inch cat back, into a flowmaster 40 series ?

oh ya and a CAI that im buying from protoss

30 hp conservative guess?
                  Serenity's Dead.

Comment

Originally posted by KiddX
                    okok, so say i get the genie headers, into a custom downpipe (2 inch or bigger?" into a high flow cat, into 2 inch cat back, into a flowmaster 40 series ?

oh ya and a CAI that im buying from protoss

30 hp conservative guess?
                    Ehh, that's probably more than conservative.
                    2006 Mazda 3 hatchback manual

Comment

gimme a ballpark figure
                      Serenity's Dead.

Comment

bud, none of us are dyno happy, knowing ballpark gains would be more of jesse's department, and theres no telling how much you gain just by bolting parts on your car. personally, i never even had a baseline dyno done like i should have, so my baseline dyno would be maybe 5 to 10 hp more with my catback, and my intake. but then there's mileage.. i mean, is it fair to say that the same cars with say 50,000, and the other with 100,000... even if very well maintain, the higher mileage engine would produce a lower amount of horsepower than the lower mileage engine? i mean there are so many factors involved in gain and loss of hp. even temperature, altittude, and humidity are taken into consideration when an engine is dyno'ed. speed costs money, and the more you put in, most likely, the better sense of satisfaction you're going to gain out of your car. if you did a full exhaust, i'm pretty sure the faster velocity of your exhaust gas would yield failry decent gains. i'm trying to think of who it was that had a full exhaust with header, intake (not even sure if it was cold air or not, with 212k miles or kilometers (fleeting memory) had their car dyno'ed at 122whp. Scott, i think it was? even so, you can get 3 different horsepower readings from 3 different dyno runs...it all depends. i mean, i've seen the difference from an estimated 110hp protege and an estimated 227hp protege, the difference is TREMENDOUS. so to answer your question basically, less than 20hp.. i think that would be on the generous side (but then again, i'm not a dynometer, so someone else would be better to give you an answer).
                        peace

Comment

it'll run like crap, and you're nowhere NEAR 30 whp gained...

Put a stand alone on it and dyno tune it for a few hours, and then report back.
                          "Never run out of real estate, traction & ideas at the same time"
                          -93 MR2, 129 ES
                          ClubProtege.com Tech Articles

Originally posted by WTF
                          Remember low compression makes more space for AIR, HEEELLOOOO!

Comment

Originally posted by KiddX
                            gimme a ballpark figure
                            Darryl's motor, with a RMM header, cat-back, and CAI put down 114 to the wheels.
                            "Never run out of real estate, traction & ideas at the same time"
                            -93 MR2, 129 ES
                            ClubProtege.com Tech Articles

Originally posted by WTF
                            Remember low compression makes more space for AIR, HEEELLOOOO!

Comment

Originally posted by JesseSays
                              Darryl's motor, with a RMM header, cat-back, and CAI put down 114 to the wheels.
                              thats 114.7 Mr Jesse

Comment

Working...
                              X