02 Sensor maybe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

02 Sensor maybe?

my protege just got an engine light I was driving, and I floored it, the engine kind of sputtered out at about 4k rpm, it didnt die just sputtered and wouldnt let the RPMs go any higher. It was raining out, i dont know if that could cause it, or help it. I took it for a drive and the same deal later on, once it gets to about 4k it stops and wont let the RPM get any higher. This has happened before, but it kind of fixed itself, ran fine for over 2 months now its done it again....

could this be an 02?

"The only thing worse than bad memories, is no memories at all" - The Dismemberment Plan

Well, i just got home and its gone, the car has no problem anymore. It has also stopped raining.... any other input?

"The only thing worse than bad memories, is no memories at all" - The Dismemberment Plan

Comment

HMMMM maybe the distributer
      .....HELLO MY NAME IS BEN...

186.08whp
      225.94wtq
      torque monster!!!!
      dyno graph 8-10-and 12psi
      http://www.msprotege.com/members/THE...no%20graph.jpg
      http://videos.streetfire.net/player....0-C19CA06AF01E dyno vid

blahblahblahblahblahblah

Comment

Have you modified your intake at all? Water getting in the engine can cause sputtering and misfire.
        "Probable impossibilities are to be preferred to improbable possibilities."

Comment

It has a cold air, but i doubt that water could make it all the way up that tube. Plus it wasent really misfire, or a sputter, it just went to about 4,200 RPM and wouldent go any higher.

The problems gone now, but I think that a factor may be that the plastic sheeting under the engine compartment is all gone. It could be allowing water to splash up in there, so i'm going to have to find some way to replace that stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by mattbeekler
            It has a cold air, but i doubt that water could make it all the way up that tube. Plus it wasent really misfire, or a sputter, it just went to about 4,200 RPM and wouldent go any higher.

The problems gone now, but I think that a factor may be that the plastic sheeting under the engine compartment is all gone. It could be allowing water to splash up in there, so i'm going to have to find some way to replace that stuff.
            If you have cold-air intake, than that is definately your problem. I had the same thing happen to me. I had a misfire in cylinder 4, and it threw my CEL on. I just reset the ECU, and it went away. Since then, I put my stock intake back in.

Be very careful driving around water. You DO NOT want it in the engine. If you still want to keep the intake in, put a by-pass filter in there. That should prevent water from getting up in there.
            "Probable impossibilities are to be preferred to improbable possibilities."

Comment

Aiight, thanks for the help. I have to take the cold air off before winter anyway so I'll be doing that here in the next couple days. Thanks for the help!

Comment

I think that did it, removed the CAI tonight and it's fine. The CAI was wet too, water dripped out of it when I pulled it off... :O whoops

Thanks again

Comment

Originally posted by turbonium959
                  If you have cold-air intake, than that is definately your problem. I had the same thing happen to me. I had a misfire in cylinder 4, and it threw my CEL on. I just reset the ECU, and it went away. Since then, I put my stock intake back in.

Be very careful driving around water. You DO NOT want it in the engine. If you still want to keep the intake in, put a by-pass filter in there. That should prevent water from getting up in there.
                  I have a the "Heat" light on when ever the car is on,
                  if I disconnect the O2 sensor it goes away, but that gives me really crap milage....

How do you reset the ECU ? Will Reseting it help?

Comment

I've never seen, or heard of a heat light... but im no expert.

To reset the ECU you just need to pull the negative terminal off the battery and leave it off for a couple minutes. If theres nothing wrong anymore the light should go away, but if it comes back theres still problems

Comment

okay, went down to the local auto supplies store and asked them if they had an O2 sensor, the guy said 120 bucks! I asked him again, he said 120 :| ... anyway I will probably end up going to the wreckers to get it.

is it something I can put in myself ? old one screws out and new one in ?

Comment

Try asking for a generic one. You just splice the wiring in.
                        2006 Mazda 3 hatchback manual

Comment

Working...
                        X