Rumored: Significant changes to Civic for 2006

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rumored: Significant changes to Civic for 2006

A reliable source tells us that the 06 Civic platform is set for some significant changes.

While the famed Honda double wishbone front suspension will not return (we're hearing this from enough sources in the US and abroad now to think its probably true), the strut setup will be significantly modified to improve handling and reduce bump steer. We hear this means a big change in the steering rack setup. Supposedly the rear suspension will be modified as well, although less is known on what will happen there.

On the powertrain front, we're hearing that the Civic lineup will incorporate direct injection. Does this mean we'll be seeing a variant of the current 2.0 DOHC i-VTEC I engine from the JDM Stream? It sure sounds like it to us. The i-VTEC I engine is essentially a high fuel economy version of the K-series, which resembles a K20A3 in terms of power production (150-160 hp), but returns a 10-15% gain in fuel economy. The Civic may incorporate some different variants on this engine for sport and economy oriented model trims.

Whether this means the D-series disappears is unknown to us at this point, but it seems at least a reasonable possibility. With the importation of the Fit/Jazz on the horizon (with L-series i-DSI engines), the Civic can move upstream, as many TOV members have predicted, and the need for a sub-2.0 liter engine diminishes. Furthermore, the incorporation of direct injection on the Civic fits with the model line's history of being very clean and green. Honda has rarely compromised fuel economy for performance (hence VTEC and its ilk) and such a compromise would be even more out of character with the Civic.

Incorporating the i-VTEC I engine line into the new Civic would provide Honda with a definite leg up on the competition. The model would be positioned as equivalent in power to its competition (Focus PZEV, Mazda3 2.3, etc. all in the 150-160 hp range) while offering significant fuel economy benefits (the Mazda3 2.3 is only rated at 25/32 on the EPA cycle). A reliable source tells us that the 06 Civic platform is set for some significant changes.

While the famed Honda double wishbone front suspension will not return (we're hearing this from enough sources in the US and abroad now to think its probably true), the strut setup will be significantly modified to improve handling and reduce bump steer. We hear this means a big change in the steering rack setup. Supposedly the rear suspension will be modified as well, although less is known on what will happen there.

On the powertrain front, we're hearing that the Civic lineup will incorporate direct injection. Does this mean we'll be seeing a variant of the current 2.0 DOHC i-VTEC I engine from the JDM Stream? It sure sounds like it to us. The i-VTEC I engine is essentially a high fuel economy version of the K-series, which resembles a K20A3 in terms of power production (150-160 hp), but returns a 10-15% gain in fuel economy. The Civic may incorporate some different variants on this engine for sport and economy oriented model trims.

Whether this means the D-series disappears is unknown to us at this point, but it seems at least a reasonable possibility. With the importation of the Fit/Jazz on the horizon (with L-series i-DSI engines), the Civic can move upstream, as many TOV members have predicted, and the need for a sub-2.0 liter engine diminishes. Furthermore, the incorporation of direct injection on the Civic fits with the model line's history of being very clean and green. Honda has rarely compromised fuel economy for performance (hence VTEC and its ilk) and such a compromise would be even more out of character with the Civic.

Incorporating the i-VTEC I engine line into the new Civic would provide Honda with a definite leg up on the competition. The model would be positioned as equivalent in power to its competition (Focus PZEV, Mazda3 2.3, etc. all in the 150-160 hp range) while offering significant fuel economy benefits (the Mazda3 2.3 is only rated at 25/32 on the EPA cycle).
    honda, acura, forums, VTEC, Temple of VTEC, TOV, dealer network, honda news, honda rumors, honda rumours, acura news, acura rumors, acura rumours, civic, accord, s2000, tsx, mdx, nsx, odyssey, fcx, insight, element, pilot, rsx, rl, tl, cl, rdx, IMA, civic hybrid
    Clint/1999 "Sport20"

did you realize you double pasted taht quote...

'04 Titanium RX-8

Comment

Very interesting! With direct injection, under normal driving conditions, injection takes place late in the compression stroke forming a stratified charge which promotes combustion yet permits an overall A/F ratio of between~30 and 40 to 1. This ultra-lean combustion mode markedly reduces fuel consumption.

During high load, high RPM operation, injection takes place during the intake stroke providing a homogeneous charge with an A/F ratio in the range of~13 to 24 to 1 for best power production and detonation suppression.

The best of both worlds.
      02 DX Millenium Red - The Penultimate Driving Machine
      MP3 Strut Tower Bar kit; Cusco Front Lower Arm Tie Bar
      MSP Springs, Struts, Stabilizer Bars, Trailing Links, #3 Engine Mount
      Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
      MP3 Shifter, Knob and Aluminum Pedal Set
      Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery
      Summer: 5Zigen FN01R-C 16 x 7" Wheels; Yoko S.drive 205/45-16s
      Winter: Enkei OR52 16 x 7" Wheels; Falken Ziex ZE-912 205/45-16s
      Modified OEM Air Intake; Racing Beat Exhaust System; Techna-Fit SS Clutch Line
      Denso SKJ16CR-L11 Extended Tip Spark Plugs; Magnecor Wires
      Power Slot Front Brake Rotors; Techna-Fit SS Brake Lines; Hawk HPS Pads
      Red Line Synthetic Engine Oil; C/S Aluminum Oil Cap
      Cyberdyne Digital Gauges: Tach; Ambient Air Temp; Voltmeter

Comment

i hope they change the body im not a fan of the EP body style civics, look like turds or something, i duno.
        91 Protege LX ---> cardomain site

91 protege lx: threw timing belt

88 323 se, mods: swapping in b6t, 70% complete, $150 takes it.

99.5 VW jetta 2.0

Comment

I agree with JGSlayer. They look like hippos on rollerskates..
          14x6 Miata 7-spoke alloys, 20mm Protege Swaybar, Progress Suspension Springs, Kemanized Intake with K&N Filtercharger, Iceman Cold Air Intake, B&M Short Throw Shifter, CWQ3 S/R PCM, and one hell of a reckless driver.

Euro ride: RHD 1990 Mazda 323F GT. Painfully stock.

Comment

Working...
          X