Auto X first time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Auto X first time

Hello everyone I am considering doing an autocross this coming weekend, but one of my friends is pretty convinced I will def break something. I don't plan on completely wrecking on my car considering this will be my first time. So in your opinions what are my chances of seriously wouding my 91 protege lx automatic with 103k mi on it?

o yeah and if any of you have some good tips for me feel free!

thanks - Justin
    91 Protege LX ---> cardomain site

91 protege lx: threw timing belt

88 323 se, mods: swapping in b6t, 70% complete, $150 takes it.

99.5 VW jetta 2.0

have fun and dont try and be a pro, get used to it, and o'well if you break something, its all part of the game.
    According to my Anger Management Counselor, after 26 weeks of anger management class, I should be an expert when it comes to Anger Management...tell that to the guy who threw a starburst at my car in rush hour traffic...haha

Todays thought of the day:

Rice is great if your really hungry and want to eat 2000 of something.

Mitch Hedberg

Comment

You'll be fine. Go slowly! I mean it. :p: Your automatic transmission will probably die eventually, though.
      2006 Mazda 3 hatchback manual

Comment

automatic tranny will make you slooooow, thats the only problem
        One day you are born,
        The next big milestone
        you discover go zoom-zoom
        you can't get enough!

Remember, when someone annoys you, it takes 42 muscles in your face to frown, BUT, it only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and bitch-slap that mother@#?!&! upside the head!!!

This car refuses to die! By TheMAN

Comment

*knock on wood* I have been autoxing with my automatic 1.6L for a year and a half now, haven't broken anything yet.
          Clint/1999 "Sport20"

Comment

103k is still new

my protege had over 130k on it when I finally killed it. The MR2 has over 143k on it, and my friend's CAMARO has over 300k on it, all have been autocrossed extensively, and none have ever had the heads off the car.

I went through a tranny in both the protege and MR2, but neither were autocross related. I would have killed both trannies in due time on the street.

If the car is pretty solid, you won't break anything.
            "Never run out of real estate, traction & ideas at the same time"
            -93 MR2, 129 ES
            ClubProtege.com Tech Articles

Originally posted by WTF
            Remember low compression makes more space for AIR, HEEELLOOOO!

Comment

http://www.tirerack.com/features/solo2/handbook.htm

read this atleast twice and then read it again

http://www.autocross.com/

www.scca.org

www.scnax.com (my local club)

Don't push it, you may be racing, but ya need to go slow and get your bearings before going wide open. Have fun and be smart and it'll be the start of a new addiction.

Comment

Originally posted by NegatiZE
                *knock on wood* I have been autoxing with my automatic 1.6L for a year and a half now, haven't broken anything yet.
                Yeah, mine wasn't maintained properly, which is half the problem, and I had to shift it manually sometimes, which you're not supposed to do, I guess.

It seems like the newer automatics wander gears a lot less than mine did. Mine would always upshift, when I'm going uphill on the really steep hill at Willow Springs, and to get it to downshift I'd have to floor it, which I didn't want to do, so I'd put the gear lever in 2. Ehh....
                Last edited by charles; 09-08-2004, 08:27 PM.
                2006 Mazda 3 hatchback manual

Comment

Man, I'll always regret not giving autoX a try when my car was pretty much stock. Now with all the suspension upgrades and the coming turbo I don't even want to try in the higher classes...
                  -------------------------
                  '91 LX
                  '03 Mazdaspeed Protege #235

Originally posted by pigeon
                  well if you're a fan of inaccuracy and uncertainty.... then by all means, go set your timing by feel and sound

while you're out there, you might as well adjust your air/fuel ratio by smell... and your tire pressure by ride height

Comment

Originally posted by Identity_X
                    Man, I'll always regret not giving autoX a try when my car was pretty much stock. Now with all the suspension upgrades and the coming turbo I don't even want to try in the higher classes...
                    don't let that discourage you from trying it. You may never win, but you WILL improve your driving skills and have fun. It'll also curb your desire for the traffic light grand prix.

Comment

I might take out my winter beater Geo Tracker but I will try autoX one of these days.
                      I just fear that it will become another addiction....and I know it will.
                      '91 LX
                      '03 Mazdaspeed Protege #235

Originally posted by pigeon
                      well if you're a fan of inaccuracy and uncertainty.... then by all means, go set your timing by feel and sound

while you're out there, you might as well adjust your air/fuel ratio by smell... and your tire pressure by ride height

Comment

a suggestion on your first autox, as charles said, go SLOW. youll find you make less mistakes, and take out less cones. then SLOWLY bring yourself up to speed as you learn the course. again, you get to learn the course, and that will help make you faster. my first time out i was only about 3 seconds off the sts leader by the end, and second in sts novice...just take your time and learn

Comment

Working...
                        X