brembo conversion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

brembo conversion?

Does anyone know if brembo or anyone else for that matter makes a big caliper conversion for a first gen? I know about all the aftermarket rotors and brake lines, but what about calipers?
    Too bad I have AWD and you don't!

i haven't heard of anything. but i was thinking the other day, to make my own kit from a miata kit. I could only see you having to redo the caliper bracket. even make a whole new one and selling the idea to brembo.

Comment

Originally posted by viper_707
      i haven't heard of anything. but i was thinking the other day, to make my own kit from a miata kit. I could only see you having to redo the caliper bracket. even make a whole new one and selling the idea to brembo.
      i would think the miata would be the closest thing to fit....you will prolly need a custom bracket unless Brembo starts producing calipers for the protege (hahahahahaha)
      91 323 GTX @ 16psi, 5 speed || December 07 R.O.T.M.
      Powered by MegaSquirt I PCB3, Tuned by Lex

More Information

Comment

Brembo makes rotors for our cars.

Darryl would not have listed it there if they didn't.

here they are on his website:

I believe (if I remember reading correctly) that the rotors are 13 inches in diameter, and you have to have something bigger than the small 13" rims on the 323. I dont know if the 14 inch LX rims will work or not. Need to ask someone who has actually done the conversion.
        Last edited by D323; 09-12-2004, 04:57 PM.
        The T3 BP MX-3 conversion has begun, and is taking forever & will kill me.

Comment

If they are 13" rotors there is no way a 14" wheel will fit. That is what I am looking for. I want large rotors are large calipers. I want this damn car to stop when I tell it to, not... well we all know how they stop. If anyone knows of any caliper brakets that convert please let me know. Thanks.

Comment

My car stops just fine. Try using a different brake pad (OEM Mazda is good , www.mazdaformance.com has them), changing the tires, bleeding the lines, etc etc
            2006 Mazda 3 hatchback manual

Comment

poor stoping is often air in the brake lines as charles suggested. The air compresses instead of the fluid causing the caliper not to move as far as it should, causing poor stopping.

Comment

Ya, Protege OEM brakes are just fine. You can easily lock up the tires...if you can't then you have a problem somewhere. As stated, do a complete brake check.

OEM (and the Brembos i was selling) front rotors are 10.25"

check out some 2nd gen RX7s, they have OEM 4 piston calipers...i'm on the hunt to find em. Not all of RX7's have them and i'm not sure which models do. I would assume the GXE and Turbo models tho...

No idea what needs to be fab'd or mod'd yet, but when i find a set, i'll post up.

Comment

dont mean to thread jack, but I will look this weekend, I think I can get my hands on a 2nd gen RX7 brake calipers. I will have to see if they are 4 piston tho.

edit-> I remember reading somewhere that with little mod the honda odessey (sp?) calipers work. If memory serves right that was the car.
                  Last edited by D323; 09-14-2004, 01:54 PM.

Comment

you may be thinking of Odessey rotors, never heard of using the calipers.

Comment

it works with the red hot chili big brake kit iirc

Comment

Link? I have flushed the brakes, am running potenza 950's, just resurfaced rotors and am using oe pads. But from sixty mph I would like to be able to lessen my stopping distance. I realize that the oe set up will lock them up, but I would like to find larger rotors. If I can get larger rotors than I will need new calipers, I have driven cars with brake upgrades and like how much better they feel. Mazdaracer... if you find anything I would be excited to hear seeing as your knowledge can be overwelming. I have never herd of odessy brakes working but if the shoe fits. Also keep me posted about the rx7's. That would be a sweet find. Thank you guys!!!

Comment

it was a how to thread on protege club a LONG time ago

Comment

Originally posted by red90protegelx
                            it was a how to thread on protege club a LONG time ago
                            Actually not much detail was discussed about it. Honda Odyssey rotors were used, but the are 5 lug and have to be drilled out to the 4x100 pattern.

2013 Dodge Dart Aero

Comment

Here's two pics of a set of 2nd gen RX7 Turbo II calipers and rotors installed.

-------------------------
                              '91 LX
                              '03 Mazdaspeed Protege #235
                              -------------------------

Originally posted by pigeon
                              well if you're a fan of inaccuracy and uncertainty.... then by all means, go set your timing by feel and sound

while you're out there, you might as well adjust your air/fuel ratio by smell... and your tire pressure by ride height

Comment

Working...
                              X