Box size?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Box size?

How big should the box be for 1 ed e8A.44? ed recommends .2-.4cF and their recommended box is .25cF. Should I shoot for .25cF? Do I gain anything with a bigger enclosure?

Thanks for everybodies help. This is my first time building a box.
    02 Protege ES

im pretty sure box size has alot to do with what kind of box it will be...

i.e. sealed, ported, band, dual band... and a bunch of other advanced types that blue LEDz knows about
    i mean, have u seen that thing?? i'ts like a maze!

anyway if ED says .25 then listen to them. it's their product; they should know!
    Tag Team

Comment

Like JP said, it will depend on the style of box. Those specs sound like a sealed box. In lamens terms, the bigger the box, the boomier (read less efficent) the bass will be. The smaller the box, the tighter or dry the bass will be.

I'd say shoot forthe .25 they recommend. Keep in mind the basket of the woofer will take up some room, so take that into account. (approx .056 for a standard sized 8" basket)

The box construction itself is just as important, use 3/4" MDF (3/8 at minimum) wood glue, sillycone and screws or an air nailer. internal bracing is not really needed with an 8" but you can still use seperate chambers to strengthen to box.

Also, i use the term box, but infact it's an enclosure, as a perfect box is the WORST shape for a sub enclosure. Try to add some angles. Or baffles inside the enclosure (take into account they take up airspace too, so you'll need to build it slightly bigger to obtain the same .25 internal volume.

Comment

how much room are you wanting to take up??? if room isn't a issue, run a 6-th order bandpass box. if room is a issue, run a ported box. let me know which you would run and i'll(me or blue) will play with winisd and give you some ideas.

good choice of sub BTW
        '02 classic red p5
        currently enrolled in AA.

Comment

Dermen, make the internal volume of the box .36 cu ft/625 cu in, and that takes into account the volume of the sub. mind you, that's for sealed and exactly to specs on their site.

MazdaRacer, supposedly a perfect cube enclosure is the best for a sealed box, but it has to be a PERFECT cube, which is very hard to attain, and the size of each side also is very important. it can't be based on just volume of the enclosure. a certain length will be optimal based on the sub itself, which is why a perfect cube is almost never used

walight01, i'm pretty sure dermen is using the 8 in his plan for a rear console, so using a port is probably not a good idea with noise issues. so sealed would probably be the best bet in that situation

just get one of these and call it a day
          Last edited by blue LEDz; 09-27-2003, 09:23 AM.

Comment

my bad, that will be pretty sweet once its done.n definatly need some figerblass work on it.
            '02 classic red p5
            currently enrolled in AA.

Comment

Originally posted by blue LEDz
              Dermen, make the internal volume of the box .36 cu ft/625 cu in, and that takes into account the volume of the sub. mind you, that's for sealed and exactly to specs on their site.

just get one of these and call it a day
              Last night I went to their site and found the internal volume of their box and thats what I will make it. I just wasn't sure if bigger was better.

And that sub is $300, a little too much money. The 8A is on sale now for $145. I just hope it stays at that until I move.
              02 Protege ES

Comment

I should have gotten 2-3 8s and had Blue build me a 6th order and blow people's minds when they hear that they are only 8s inside! You should here his single 10 Physics play a huge role and you would be amazed at what a single 10 can sound like!! :p:
                2001 ES (Featured at SoundDomain)

Pioneer/SoundStream/JBL/Coustic/Elemental Designs/Focal/
                KnuKonceptz/Lightning Audio/SoundQuest/Tiff/
                Gel America/Dynamo Deep Cycle Battery/
                Groundkit

Comment

Working...
                X