Plug-in Digital Voltmeter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plug-in Digital Voltmeter

This gauge is manufactured and sold by Nordskog Performance Products. I don't know anything about the company but their products SEEM to be of high quality insofar as one can judge from their website.

The gauge in question is part of their Street Series Digital Instuments line (part no. M9025) and plugs directly into the cigarette lighter socket. It is 2 1/16" diameter and monitors the system voltage in the range 8-18 volts in .1 volt increments. Although most Nordskog instruments are available in a choice of red, green or amber displays, the plug-in voltmeter is unfortunately obtainable only with a red display. The cost is US $69.99. To access the website and view the gauge, go to:

On my '02 DX, the cig lighter socket is located in a depression on the instrument panel so there is a question about whether the gauge in its plugged in position would clear the panel. However, the photo seems to indicate that the mounting stud/electrical pick-up behind the gauge is long enough to insure sufficient clearance. Something to definitely check, however, if you're considering a purchase.

There would seem to be a number of advantages in using this gauge. It's obviously easy to mount: just plug it in, no provision for a mounting panel and no additional wiring. It can be left permanently in place since when the ignition switch is in the off position, the cig lighter socket is not electrically energized-thus no current drain when the engine is not running. The socket is energized in the ACC position however. Since the gauge is digital with .1V increments, it should provide accurate and precise data about the systems voltage level.

Two disadvantages I can think of: the gauge will be difficult to read from the driver's position and there may be a small voltage drop between battery and cig lighter socket because of the way the circuit runs through the ign switch and because of the conductor size utilized. I don't have a wiring diagram for my car so I am obviously making an inference here. Ideally, I would think a voltmeter should be connected directly to batt + term and to the batt - term grounding plate with the heaviest possible conductors to insure minimal voltage drop.

With all these considerations in mind, I think this is an easy, economical way to add an accurate voltage monitor to the car.
    02 DX Millenium Red - The Penultimate Driving Machine
    MP3 Strut Tower Bar kit; Cusco Front Lower Arm Tie Bar
    MSP Springs, Struts, Stabilizer Bars, Trailing Links, #3 Engine Mount
    Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
    MP3 Shifter, Knob and Aluminum Pedal Set
    Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery
    Summer: 5Zigen FN01R-C 16 x 7" Wheels; Yoko S.drive 205/45-16s
    Winter: Enkei OR52 16 x 7" Wheels; Falken Ziex ZE-912 205/45-16s
    Modified OEM Air Intake; Racing Beat Exhaust System; Techna-Fit SS Clutch Line
    Denso SKJ16CR-L11 Extended Tip Spark Plugs; Magnecor Wires
    Power Slot Front Brake Rotors; Techna-Fit SS Brake Lines; Hawk HPS Pads
    Red Line Synthetic Engine Oil; C/S Aluminum Oil Cap
    Cyberdyne Digital Gauges: Tach; Ambient Air Temp; Voltmeter

best volt meter i've worked with, and the best price i've found. the plug in ones that you posted usually aren't very accurate. the ones intruder makes are more accurate than my radio shack multi meter plus they have a faster refresh rate.

Comment

The only advantage to the plug in one is no wiring. Oh, and it comes in a circular housing. But overall I would definitely go with Intruder's, because you can wire it in wherever you want. At the amp, at the battery, at the headlights, whatever you might want to keep track of.

Comment

Originally posted by goldstar
        ...there may be a small voltage drop between battery and cig lighter socket because of the way the circuit runs through the ign switch and because of the conductor size utilized. I don't have a wiring diagram for my car so I am obviously making an inference here. Ideally, I would think a voltmeter should be connected directly to batt + term and to the batt - term grounding plate with the heaviest possible conductors to insure minimal voltage drop...
        If you use Intruder's voltmeter you can correct that error using the easily accessible trimmer potentiometer (refer to attached picture - blue part on the back of the voltmeter). You can adjust for whatever offset you might like (+/- 5 volts).

Last edited by Intruder; 09-16-2004, 02:00 AM.

Comment

Working...
        X