ST Sway Bar Install....(repost)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ST Sway Bar Install....(repost)

Originaly posted on Pclub. Moved and edited for informational purposes.

Finally I had some time to install my Suspension Techniques sway bar and urethane bushings and end links. The install wasn’t very smooth as one of the old end link bolts broke and I had to cut it so I can remove it. Other than that, everything came off and on very easily. I just finished the install a few hours ago so I can’t tell of the bars performance. Went around the block, but that’s about it. Here are some before and after pics for your enjoyment.

BEFORE.......

AFTER.......

Posted by titocruzsd on May-14th-2003 03:14 AM:

looks good! i installed mine a few months ago, but i've had a problem with the 2 middle clamps bending. i also have the front one, but it looks like it'll be a pain to install, so i have it sitting in my trunk.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Posted by Identity_X on May-14th-2003 03:18 AM:

quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally posted by titocruzsd
    looks good! i installed mine a few months ago, but i've had a problem with the 2 middle clamps bending. i also have the front one, but it looks like it'll be a pain to install, so i have it sitting in my trunk.

How do they bend? Do you mean they pop out from one end? As for the front one, I don't have it but I think that you install it together with the stock sway bar. If it's just sitting in your trunk you might as well pass it along

Posted by beachnut on May-14th-2003 03:26 AM:

This is on my "next mod" list too. Did the endlinks and bushings come with the sway bar? I think I should do the front bar too, just to keep things even .... and you're right - the front is supposed to work in conjunction with the oem bar. My concern here is clearance, so get that bar on Tito and let us know how many curbs and gutters you're scraping !

Posted by Identity_X on May-14th-2003 03:39 AM:

quote:
    Originally posted by beachnut
    This is on my "next mod" list too. Did the endlinks and bushings come with the sway bar? I think I should do the front bar too, just to keep things even .... and you're right - the front is supposed to work in conjunction with the oem bar. My concern here is clearance, so get that bar on Tito and let us know how many curbs and gutters you're scraping !

The 'next mod' list - I got one of those too. I got the bar with the endlinks and bushings from a board member, but I doubt the bar comes with them. I think those are the Energy Suspension bushings and endlinks. As for clearance for the front sway bar, I wouldn't be worried that much. I got a tie-bar that's very close to the ground and so far, I have scraped it only once. However, I drive like an old lady on bad roads.

Posted by PseudoRealityX on May-14th-2003 03:47 AM:

The front ST bar doesn't hang that low. You'd have to have some pretty insanely bad roads to scrape it.

And if bought new, both ST bars come with all the nessacery hardware, endlinks, bushings, etc.

Posted by titocruzsd on May-14th-2003 05:23 AM:

quote:
    Originally posted by Identity_X
    How do they bend? Do you mean they pop out from one end? As for the front one, I don't have it but I think that you install it together with the stock sway bar. If it's just sitting in your trunk you might as well pass it along

when i first installed them, the 2 clamps kept bending pretty bad, so i bought a brand new pair (thinking the old clamps were old and weak), and the new ones bent a little, but they seem to be holding up pretty well now. yeah, the front bar is an add-on, but the instructions are pretty much worthless, so i haven't been able to install it yet! when i get back from my vacation, i'll see about installing it, as well as the mx-3 lower rear tie bar that's sitting in my trunk.

quote:
    ....My concern here is clearance, so get that bar on Tito and let us know how many curbs and gutters you're scraping !
    i'm already scrapin' w/o the front bar installed! i might have to adjust my coilovers a bit when i get it installed because the roads out here are horrible!

Posted by mazdaspeedwest on May-15th-2003 02:07 AM:

I've been waiting on getting the front bar untill i get a coilover setup. I used the Energy Suspension bushings for the stock front bar, but i had poly bushings already, but the ES bolts were shorter, so it did tighten it up a bit, as i shaved the sleeve a bit too.

that and the rear ST bar, it works very well for autox. I just think it'll push too much without some good camber and stiffer springs. So prove me wrong I haven't had any bracket issues and the bar has been on for like 9 months.

Posted by titocruzsd on May-15th-2003 05:25 PM:

quote:
    Btw, I'm about this >< close to getting the ST bars from shox.com. You guys are a bad influence on my pocketbook!

i bought my sway bars from shox.com. they're customer service was great, and when i asked them to match a price of another site that had the sway bars cheaper, they actually beat the price of the other site.

Posted by ne3ek on May-15th-2003 08:23 PM:

wow shox.com is good.. I might get those sway bars eventually

Posted by beachnut on May-15th-2003 09:36 PM:

Yep, $229 is a great price for both bars! I actually found another site that had them for $218 (Auto Salon, or something like that), but they were out of stock. Both sites want over $30 for shipping to me though !

Posted by titocruzsd on May-16th-2003 01:11 AM:

quote:
    Yep, $229 is a great price for both bars! I actually found another site that had them for $218 (Auto Salon, or something like that), but they were out of stock. Both sites want over $30 for shipping to me though !

yeah, the other site i was talking about was options auto salon (optauto.com - the same site you were talking about). when i called them, they said it'd be a couple of weeks for delivery from them! shox.com actually has the sway bars in stock, and will ship them out as soon as you place your order. the guys at shox.com will hook you up with both bars for $240 shipped (if my memory serves me right). they wanted to charge me $40 for S/H until i told them that i could get them cheaper. if they try to charge you more, here's my quote request #: 9812661. they should be able to verify that they've sold them for that price before with that #. hope that helps you out.
    -------------------------
    '91 LX
    '03 Mazdaspeed Protege #235
    -------------------------

Originally posted by pigeon
    well if you're a fan of inaccuracy and uncertainty.... then by all means, go set your timing by feel and sound

while you're out there, you might as well adjust your air/fuel ratio by smell... and your tire pressure by ride height

you can buy them from corksports.com
    I installed them about 4-5 weeks ago SWEEET ride. i love them. but be carful with the front the ground clearence isnt very much if your car is lowered.
    I also had a uper strut tower bar that complete the front end
    $300 at cork sports.

try the other site its a bit cheaper
    Last edited by Koroma; 09-29-2003, 12:53 AM.
    Koroma
    91 323BG-----------------------
    Intax springs,PRM Air Intake
    ST Swaybars, Front upperstrut bar, 15' Prime, Advanced Timing, 2.25 inch-Cat back, Flowmaster, Indiglo gauges, Custom Taillight config

Next Stage
    J-SPEC GTX kit,Brembo Brake Kit

Comment

Working...
    X