turbo lx?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

turbo lx?

hey all. im new here. i dont own a protege yet but im looking to get one. a 1st gen maybe 93 or 94 LX. now i tried searching for it 1000 times and cant find anything, so im gonna ask and probably get flamed but here goes. i was wondering about turboing the stock LX motor. now what i have gathered from the searches is that the LX motor and the GTX motor are basicaly the same. just one is turbo. so what im thinking is, can someone give me a list of EVERYTHING i need to turbo a LX and gimme a idea of how much it costs, how hard it is, power results etc. thanks alot and sorry kuz im sure this has been covered a billion times.
    1997 U-13 Nissan Altima

just do this, it'll be cheaper.

According to my Anger Management Counselor, after 26 weeks of anger management class, I should be an expert when it comes to Anger Management...tell that to the guy who threw a starburst at my car in rush hour traffic...haha

Todays thought of the day:

Rice is great if your really hungry and want to eat 2000 of something.

Mitch Hedberg

Comment

really?>

are you serious? the engine swap is cheaper? how hard is that to install. and how much does it cost?
      1997 U-13 Nissan Altima

Comment

Never done it, read on on gtx swaps. There are a couple of people here that are working on the swaps right now. Corksport says it can be difficult, but thats the fun of the game. Do some searches, especially under first gen engine drive train. Youll find all the information you need.
        According to my Anger Management Counselor, after 26 weeks of anger management class, I should be an expert when it comes to Anger Management...tell that to the guy who threw a starburst at my car in rush hour traffic...haha

Mitch Hedberg

Comment

ok thanks alot.
          1997 U-13 Nissan Altima

Comment

your welcome, and welcome to clubprotege.

Mitch Hedberg

Comment

personally I plan on gettin a VJ-20 and manifold along with a couple Saab 900 turbo intercoolers, bigger injectors, and ecu upgrade. I'll run a lower boost maybe 4-7 psi, this should be good enough for me. the final cost should be somewhere around that of the GTX motor group buy but involve a little less werk.
              welcome to club protege!
              '91 Mazda Protege GT/ Completely re-built engine w/.020 head shave, intake/exhaust P&P & 3 angle valve job, 2.25 full custom exhaust, RX-7 AFM, K&N Cone, 18* Timing advance, exhintake cam mod w/Fly'n Miata adjustables, Custom short shifter, CenterForce clutch, lightened flywheel, HAWK pads on all 4, Motegi Racing 8 spoke 16"s w/205/45/ZR16 rubber, VentShade window visors, lower lip spoiler, 4" driving lights w/halo's. MX-3 center console & Black carpet swap w/2 layers dynomat type insulation.
              Soon to come... Garret T25 turbo, DSM injectors, GTX ecu (Needed) SAFC (Needed) FMIC (Needed)

'91 Toyota Soarer GT-TL/ Stock 1JZ-GTE, K&N drop in filter, Gewalt Evolution deep dish 17"s, Nardi steering wheel

sigpic

Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind!

Comment

Not really man. It costs a bit to turbo your existing BP. Trust me, I have done it.
                BP-05 Turbo-Sold
                2004 MK4 AWP Jetta GLI

Comment

LOL you'll be satisfied with 4-7 psi! Who you trying to kid?
                  James G.
                  sobe83@yahoo.com
                  AIM: DVS 323BPT
                  MySpace
                  Cardomain
                  <BR>

<marquee>Turbonetics T3/T4, RC 550cc injectors, Walbro fuel pump, SSAutochrome Miata manifold, Tial 35mm wastegate, large FMIC, Apex-I SAFC, GReddy Type S BOV, 2.5" aluminum charge pipes, NGK plugs/wires, RX-7 VAM, 3" turbo-back exhaust, ARP head studs, H&R Springs, S/R struts, Sony XPlod deck-2/12" subs, Power Acoustic 800w amp, Pioneer speakers, Evo front bumper, ADR DV8 17" wheels.</marquee>

Comment

Originally posted by limpgtx
                    You can never have enough boost.

Comment

Originally posted by limpgtx
                      Yeah yur right, I guess I'm tryin to kid myself...one of the few times I can forget all of lifes' **** is when I get in my Pro and stomp er down, so naturally more boost = bigger smile!
                      '91 Mazda Protege GT/ Completely re-built engine w/.020 head shave, intake/exhaust P&P & 3 angle valve job, 2.25 full custom exhaust, RX-7 AFM, K&N Cone, 18* Timing advance, exhintake cam mod w/Fly'n Miata adjustables, Custom short shifter, CenterForce clutch, lightened flywheel, HAWK pads on all 4, Motegi Racing 8 spoke 16"s w/205/45/ZR16 rubber, VentShade window visors, lower lip spoiler, 4" driving lights w/halo's. MX-3 center console & Black carpet swap w/2 layers dynomat type insulation.
                      Soon to come... Garret T25 turbo, DSM injectors, GTX ecu (Needed) SAFC (Needed) FMIC (Needed)

'91 Toyota Soarer GT-TL/ Stock 1JZ-GTE, K&N drop in filter, Gewalt Evolution deep dish 17"s, Nardi steering wheel

sigpic

Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind!

Comment

Originally posted by elscotto80
                        Not really man. It costs a bit to turbo your existing BP. Trust me, I have done it.
                        what all was involved in yur conversion? have you done a write-up on it?

sigpic

Comment

I havent really done a write up, but I could if people wanted to do it. Took me about a yer and a half years to get to where I am now. If you want, i can, maybe get it stickyed for others.
                          BP-05 Turbo-Sold
                          2004 MK4 AWP Jetta GLI

Comment

yea definiatly make a post about it... im up in pa... just a lil east of york... maybe we can meet up sometime... i want to work on the turbo over the winter... we'll see what happens
                            Check out the J Way Group Project Proto HERE i will also make a page with all the hundreds of pics of my progress so keep checking

Comment

Sorry man, I wont be home till December, i am in college in Lynchburg VA(southern VA) Give me some time to work on the write up. Should I do this in this thread or start a new topic?
                              BP-05 Turbo-Sold
                              2004 MK4 AWP Jetta GLI

Comment

Working...
                              X