98 1.5 burning oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

98 1.5 burning oil

I've got a 98 LX with 72K miles on it that is burning oil. The strange thing is though that I just had a compression test done, and all cylinders are around 160 psi, so they're good. I've verified that I don't have an oil leak. Where could my oil be going???

Are you losing oil level or actually blowing smoke?
    According to my Anger Management Counselor, after 26 weeks of anger management class, I should be an expert when it comes to Anger Management...tell that to the guy who threw a starburst at my car in rush hour traffic...haha

Todays thought of the day:

Rice is great if your really hungry and want to eat 2000 of something.

Mitch Hedberg

Comment

I'm losing oil level, and pretty quickly - 1/2 to 3/4 quart per 1000 miles. I stay on top of it, but it doesn't make a whole let of sense to me.

Comment

need to crawl under it and see where your actually losing oil. If your not blowing smoke, its not getting past your rings.
        According to my Anger Management Counselor, after 26 weeks of anger management class, I should be an expert when it comes to Anger Management...tell that to the guy who threw a starburst at my car in rush hour traffic...haha

Todays thought of the day:

Rice is great if your really hungry and want to eat 2000 of something.

Mitch Hedberg

Comment

Maybe your piston rings are ****ed? I have the same problem. I burn oil every 2 weeks. Its sure as hell not the gasket cause thats been replaced. I don't even see an oil leak and when i start teh car, I see white smoke come out but then its gone. It may be the piston rings cause someone told me that could be the problem with my car. Well either way, i got the BP going in my car hopefully by the end of the year so i won't have to deal with that ****ty ass motor for long.
          Don't have a car anymore... cry with me

Comment

Crapped out PCV valves lead to increased oil consumption

Comment

Yup, check the PCV valve, rear main seal might be a suspect.
              2006 Mazda 3 hatchback manual

Comment

Oh yeah, check your valve seals.
                2006 Mazda 3 hatchback manual

Comment

LOL TheMan, i had that on a diagnostic report but wasn't sure what to do with it. I was lead to believe that that had nothing to do with it. If thats the case, how long is labor? cause if its something expensive, i might as well drop the bp in.
                  Don't have a car anymore... cry with me

Comment

I guess I should clarify a little. My wife has seen a puff or two of blue smoke when driving behind me, so I am burning oil. I'm just stumped because my compression test was so good. I'm trying to figure out which seat/ring could be the culprit, but still lead to a good compression test.

Comment

Originally posted by mrmalecky
                      I guess I should clarify a little. My wife has seen a puff or two of blue smoke when driving behind me, so I am burning oil. I'm just stumped because my compression test was so good. I'm trying to figure out which seat/ring could be the culprit, but still lead to a good compression test.
                      Valve seals won't affect a compression test.
                      -Kevin
                      -90 Miata 1- #80 CSP, '01 1.8L Swap w/ working VVT
                      -90 Miata 2 - $2005/6/7 Turbocharged GRM Challenger
                      -91 Tracer - $2008/9 AWD Converted Turbocharged Challenger
                      -94 MX3 - #8 Hong Norrth LeMons/Chumpcar Racer
                      -02.5 Protege5 - The Daily

Comment

Working...
                      X