IHI VJ-11 VJ-20 differences

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IHI VJ-11 VJ-20 differences

Allright guys I have a VJ 11 turbo, is the VJ-20 better? I'm guessing that it is. Are the monting points to the mani on the two the same? I'm wondering because I'm getting a Turbo manifold that mates to the VJ-11.....so if the VJ-20 is better I'll probably have to have another flange welded on to the mani..

Thanks in advance..

the VJ20 is bigger. and yes better, you are running a 1.8l? the VJ11 was designed for the 1.6L
    When you turn your car on... does it return the favor?

Originally posted by goldstar
    Yes, still have it. It was my attempt to immortalize you in verse.

A Protege driver named Brock
    Once said 7 seconds he'd clock.
    So his engine he goosed
    With much too much boost,
    And drove a rod through his block.

Comment

They both have different exhaust flanges. You can just purchase a VJ-20 manifold through corksport for like $125. No sense in having a ghetto rig. The VJ-20 is larger than the VJ-11, but it is still a small turbo regardless.

It will put a good driver into the 13's and an average one into the 14's.
      -Braden
      '05 WRX

GTX Groupbuy is Closed! However you can still pick up a GTX motor for only $925!!! PM me for order details!

Comment

Well I'm allready getting a manifold made for the VJ-11, It is a very good quality manifold. I'm tradeing for some stuff and this is what he had.......

It wouldn't be too hard to cut the flange off of the manifold and weld another flange on it right...?

For now i'm just gonna stick with the VJ-11, and later upgrade. I don't wanna run very high boost right now anyways...at the most maybe 5 pounds.

Comment

That VJ-11 is going to run out of steam quickly.... Your best bet is to just use a small T3 and get the manifold made for that.
          -Braden
          '05 WRX

GTX Groupbuy is Closed! However you can still pick up a GTX motor for only $925!!! PM me for order details!

Comment

Originally posted by Tweeaks
            Well I'm allready getting a manifold made for the VJ-11, It is a very good quality manifold. I'm tradeing for some stuff and this is what he had.......

It wouldn't be too hard to cut the flange off of the manifold and weld another flange on it right...?

For now i'm just gonna stick with the VJ-11, and later upgrade. I don't wanna run very high boost right now anyways...at the most maybe 5 pounds.
            Being as your getting a many made. I would just listen to turboje and get a T3 turbo ( you can get one used really cheap..

good luck
            photo album|photo album 2 (pbase)

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

Well I'm allready getting a manifold made for the VJ-11
              What I meant was that the manifold that I am getting has already been made.......way before I was even going to get it.

A guy here with a KIA 1.8 DOHC was going to turbo it; he had the mani made, has the turbo, intercooler, downpipe, and blow-off valve allready. He is going to buy paint and clear, and I am going to paint his car for the parts...... That is WHY I was asking how difficult it would be to put another flange on the mani.....At this point I don't want to spend the money to get another mani made, or have to buy another one IF and only IF I can still use the same one. If it isn't possible then I'm gonna go with the garret that was available on the 87 T-birds and Cougars, the mounting points are the same and it is a better turbo that the VJ-11.

Comment

The 87 T-bird turbo is an IHI, but only the compressor fits up. The VJ-11 flange is some crazy thing i believe its like a elongated triangle looking piece.

The rest of the t-bird turbo's were .63/.60 T3's. Very large and powerful turbo for our cars. Even the .42/.48 is an awesome turbo to use.
                -Braden
                '05 WRX

Comment

does anybody know what the vj 11 came off of stock???
                  ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
                  he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Mine was off of a MX-6 GT, they are on the probe GT's, and the 8?-88 323 GTX's, also on the 87-88 T-birds I believe.......

They both have different exhaust flanges
                    What about the mounting points to the manifold?? I can always get another downpipe made for whatever other turbo I decide to get.....

Comment

The GTX came with a VJ14.
                      The VJ11 is about the same size as a VJ20.
                      Flange that bolts to the manifold is the same for the VJ11 and 14, I think the VJ20 fits also even though the port is a different shape.
                      Outlet might be different but I don't think so.
                      Last edited by gtx510; 10-07-2003, 03:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by bpt323
                        does anybody know what the vj 11 came off of stock???
                        MX6 GT's and Probe GT's have them...I have two, one working and one probably in need of a rebuild, anyone want one
                        03.5 MazdaSpeed Protege

MAM Built Block, Microtech EMS on the way

HiBoost FMIC--Greddy Profec-B SpecII--AWR Front Mount, RR-inserts in rear--Injen SRI--PLX Wideband

88 MX6 LX-Turbo - DEAD

Comment

vj11 was made for the 2.2L mx6/probe!!!
                          vj05 basically the same size turbo and specs was made for the 2l MX6
                          vj14 323gt and gtx
                          vj20 for bpt
                          vj23 bpd gtr

the vj20 is efficient till 17lbs of boost....its the limit....
                          the vj11 is good till about 16lbs.....

have no numbers for the flow however!

Comment

whatever turbo you end up choosing, here is my experience.....

it is a simple task for any fabricator to chop off the existing flange and get another one profile cut then welded on. in the worst case scenario, you can get a flange/pipe/flange setup made like i have, with the gtx plate welded to a 1.5 inch pipe which is then welded to the t3 plate with just enough "pipe" section to get the bolts in.

Comment

You dont need to worry so much about what turbo you want but you need to focus on what turbo will match your engine. And well the vj20 was on bps and and matches up when them very well. If you want performance get a vj20 it was just made for it. BTW ive heard of vj 11's being used on bikes before, heheh
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X