Questions about Threaded Fasteners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Questions about Threaded Fasteners

I could have titled this, 'Questions about Nuts', but I was afraid that some of you perverts might be attracted to this post thinking it was about sex. In any case, as have many others on the Forum, I installed a different shifter (MP3) and Kartboy shifter bushings. From the FSM, I used the specified torque settings for the bolt and nut that attaches the shift lever to the change control rod and for the nut that holds the Kartboy bushings and extension bar to the stud. After more than a year of service, I haven't had any problems. But, eventually, will I?

The reason I'm raising this issue is that in thinking about the installation it occurred to me that no lock washers are used at these points. Although no mention is made in the FSM and I don't recall any Forum member discussing the point, should a thread locker be used to prevent loosening due to vibration? If so, I assume either Permatex Medium Strength Threadlocker BLUE or Loctite Threadlocker Blue would be appropriate? Since the fasteners are out of sight under the car and we certainly don't want to lose them on the road, is it recommended that they be redone?

OR

From Bolt Depot, www.boltdepot.com I purchased some M8 x 1.25 self-locking nuts. These are stainless steel A-2 (equivalent to grade 18-8) nuts that could replace the OEM nuts in the positions noted. These cost 22 cents ea. and are available in any quantity from one to a box of one hundred which costs US $12.95. The obvious question is would the stainless steel locknuts be a viable option to the OEM nuts with threadlocker? Would one choice be better than the other or does it matter at all? I would appreciate your responses to these questions.
    02 DX Millenium Red - The Penultimate Driving Machine
    MP3 Strut Tower Bar kit; Cusco Front Lower Arm Tie Bar
    MSP Springs, Struts, Stabilizer Bars, Trailing Links, #3 Engine Mount
    Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
    MP3 Shifter, Knob and Aluminum Pedal Set
    Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery
    Summer: 5Zigen FN01R-C 16 x 7" Wheels; Yoko S.drive 205/45-16s
    Winter: Enkei OR52 16 x 7" Wheels; Falken Ziex ZE-912 205/45-16s
    Modified OEM Air Intake; Racing Beat Exhaust System; Techna-Fit SS Clutch Line
    Denso SKJ16CR-L11 Extended Tip Spark Plugs; Magnecor Wires
    Power Slot Front Brake Rotors; Techna-Fit SS Brake Lines; Hawk HPS Pads
    Red Line Synthetic Engine Oil; C/S Aluminum Oil Cap
    Cyberdyne Digital Gauges: Tach; Ambient Air Temp; Voltmeter

I think you'll be fine, but if you have a doubt, and have the 22 cents each, and are willing to pull it out for piece of mind, do that for yourself.

question, did the oem stuff have threadlocker/self-locking nuts? I don't believe it did, and that would be enough for me not to worry about it.
    "Never run out of real estate, traction & ideas at the same time"
    -93 MR2, 129 ES
    ClubProtege.com Tech Articles

Originally posted by WTF
    Remember low compression makes more space for AIR, HEEELLOOOO!

Comment

Jesse, thanks for your response. The OEM nuts are not self-locking but it is possible that threadlocker was used. I didn't really check at the time so I'm not sure. You're probably right that there's nothing to worry about. The next time that I'm under that part of the car I'll check it out just to be on the safe side.

02 DX Millenium Red
      02 DX Millenium Red - The Penultimate Driving Machine
      MP3 Strut Tower Bar kit; Cusco Front Lower Arm Tie Bar
      MSP Springs, Struts, Stabilizer Bars, Trailing Links, #3 Engine Mount
      Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
      MP3 Shifter, Knob and Aluminum Pedal Set
      Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery
      Summer: 5Zigen FN01R-C 16 x 7" Wheels; Yoko S.drive 205/45-16s
      Winter: Enkei OR52 16 x 7" Wheels; Falken Ziex ZE-912 205/45-16s
      Modified OEM Air Intake; Racing Beat Exhaust System; Techna-Fit SS Clutch Line
      Denso SKJ16CR-L11 Extended Tip Spark Plugs; Magnecor Wires
      Power Slot Front Brake Rotors; Techna-Fit SS Brake Lines; Hawk HPS Pads
      Red Line Synthetic Engine Oil; C/S Aluminum Oil Cap
      Cyberdyne Digital Gauges: Tach; Ambient Air Temp; Voltmeter

Comment

Working...
      X