Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

humming from rear wheels

Hey,
    I have this annoying humming sound from my rear end... it sounds like its coming from the tires. But I am not sure.... i just did a whole brake job, my brake pads, rotors and calipers are all new, so I know its not them....

I used the infamous "search" and found this link:

but i wasnt sure if i only needed an alignment or if it was something else.

has anybody else had this problem....please let me know

thanks

is it a humming, or a little squeaking noise?
    Create your own VB Gallery here.

Please DONATE to keep our forum alive!

I've decided that my car is a girl, she's picky as hell, won't listen to me, always wants to fight me, and when i give her presents it's never good enough and she always wants more.

<-"Will be the death of this forum"

Comment

it sounds more like a humming... the more i speed, the higher the noise gets...

Comment

Either the wheel bearing of the weight fell off the wheel.
        James G.
        sobe83@yahoo.com
        AIM: DVS 323BPT
        MySpace
        Cardomain
        <BR>

<marquee>Turbonetics T3/T4, RC 550cc injectors, Walbro fuel pump, SSAutochrome Miata manifold, Tial 35mm wastegate, large FMIC, Apex-I SAFC, GReddy Type S BOV, 2.5" aluminum charge pipes, NGK plugs/wires, RX-7 VAM, 3" turbo-back exhaust, ARP head studs, H&R Springs, S/R struts, Sony XPlod deck-2/12" subs, Power Acoustic 800w amp, Pioneer speakers, Evo front bumper, ADR DV8 17" wheels.</marquee>

Comment

are you sure it's not the tire tread making noise on the pavement? did you change tires recently? sometimes the most obvious thing gets overlooked...

--sarge

Comment

get a new wheel bearing...trust me...problem solved.

they cost about 60 bux new at autozone (probably more like 40 bux, i forgot) and are easy to replace. Take off the rotor/caliper and remove the 32mm nut and the ****er just comes right out.

Includes 4 new lug-studs too, bling bling.
            93' Noble Green MX-ZE (sold )
            02' Graphite Grey WRX Stage 4, 286whp
            05' Pontiac Vibe daily driver, lowered/tinted/rims

Comment

should I replace them on both the wheels? how do I know which wheel is making the noise??? any signs of wear are noticeable or something?

thanks for the help guys!!!

Comment

Yes, anything relating to suspension or braking you do symetrically. Replace both sides.
                Current Cars
                2003 Nissan 350z. Touring Edition, Pike's Peak White and dark tint. Some audio work. Twin turbo swap and more audio work over the winter. Wheels and springs this winter.

Past Mazdas
                1994 Mazda Protege DX. DOHC swap in progress. Sold due to a move
                1992 Mazda Protege DX. BPT (GT-X) swap w. Haltech & MSD. Sold before it saw the road
                1996 Ford Probe GT. Flawless. 5-speed. Kept stock. Sold for an LS1

Comment

i only replaced my drivers side and the droning went completely away.

you should be able to tell which side its coming from, if you cant...maybe both sides are fawked?

Comment

what if uve driven on it like that for a WHILE... like a couple of months? and it feels as tho the right rear tire folds over when i turn left... me thinks i have major problems... im bout to go to the local advance, but dont know if i should buy the bearings or the entire hubs...
                    "Squirrels are evil because they have thumbs."
                    - Chick McGee

Comment

just got one wheel bearing from carquest...hopefully that should do it....
                      do i used any special kinda grease? anything preferred over the other?

Comment

is this thread for the fronts or the rears? im gonna be pickin up my first rear one today, hopefully it works w/out havin to redo the entire hub...

id say just normal axle grease man, thats what im gonna use...
                        - Chick McGee

Comment

sorry, just read the first post, i guess it is about the rears.
                          - Chick McGee

Comment

fronts are a bitch to install..you have to press them out which means you have to remove the entire hub, get a new alignment, etc.

the rear one is a joke. just remove the caliper/rotor and pop off the center cap & undo the 32mm bolt and it just comes right out. If you have drums, remove all that crap and its the same thing.

Comment

well, the noise is coming from the rear.... so I presume it to be the rear problem.. i just hope its not both of them...

Comment

Working...
                              X