Questions about MSP Stabilizer Bars Installation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Questions about MSP Stabilizer Bars Installation

Some of you may recall that last July I installed the MSP Lowered Spring (0000-8M-C13) and Retuned Struts (0000-8M-C14) kits. It appears that in october, I'll be able to afford the MSP Stabilizer Bar kit (0000-8M-C15) to complete my coversion to a full MSP suspension. The kit also includes a replacement rear subframe to allow mounting the new bar. The springs and struts provided a very noticeable improvement in handling. I'm expecting a further improvement from adding the bars since their larger than stock diameter (25mm front; 20mm rear), should reduce body lean and consequently the lifting of the inside wheels during cornering. This should enable a higher cornering force to be generated at any given road speed. At least I think that's how larger diameter bars work-correct me if I'm wrong.

I have a number of questions about the installation that I'm hoping some of you suspension experts can answer. Are new end links required because of the bars' larger diameters? I haven't been able to find any info about this.

If I switch to the MSP bar, will I get the dreaded rear suspension clunk that so many MSP and MP3 owners have complained about? Currently, my suspension is as quiet as the grave which is just the way I like it. Why would converting to a larger diameter bar and bushings by themselves cause any increase in noise? Checking TheMANS FAQ, I went to the TSB section on noisy rear suspension and noted that TheMAN has listed an improved bushing (BN7H-28-156E) that is supposed to correct this problem. He goes on to say that this "E" level bushing can be identified by a molded on Teflon sleeve and that it should be lubed with silicone paste to prevent premature wear and/or squeaks. Does anyone know if these "E" bushings are included with the MSP stabilizer bar kit? Finally, in checking around the Forums, it seems the "E" bushing has solved the noise problems of some users but other's report that the noise eventually comes back after a period of time. Is there any consensus on how long these bushings last or is it just a fact that, after sufficient wear, we have to resign ourselves to periodic replacement? Any information anyone has will be most appreciated.

Incidently, I want to stick with the MSP bars because I have an extended warranty and by using OEM performance accessories I won't put it in jeopardy.
    02 DX Millenium Red - The Penultimate Driving Machine
    MP3 Strut Tower Bar kit; Cusco Front Lower Arm Tie Bar
    MSP Springs, Struts, Stabilizer Bars, Trailing Links, #3 Engine Mount
    Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
    MP3 Shifter, Knob and Aluminum Pedal Set
    Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery
    Summer: 5Zigen FN01R-C 16 x 7" Wheels; Yoko S.drive 205/45-16s
    Winter: Enkei OR52 16 x 7" Wheels; Falken Ziex ZE-912 205/45-16s
    Modified OEM Air Intake; Racing Beat Exhaust System; Techna-Fit SS Clutch Line
    Denso SKJ16CR-L11 Extended Tip Spark Plugs; Magnecor Wires
    Power Slot Front Brake Rotors; Techna-Fit SS Brake Lines; Hawk HPS Pads
    Red Line Synthetic Engine Oil; C/S Aluminum Oil Cap
    Cyberdyne Digital Gauges: Tach; Ambient Air Temp; Voltmeter

paint the MSP swaybar black, or ANY swaybar black for that matter and they'll NEVER know the difference. They don't pay attention, and a sway bar isn't going to be involved in anything warranty related.

The bushings are a wear item. That's just how it is... deal, they're cheap.
    "Never run out of real estate, traction & ideas at the same time"
    -93 MR2, 129 ES
    ClubProtege.com Tech Articles

Originally posted by WTF
    Remember low compression makes more space for AIR, HEEELLOOOO!

Comment

Endlinks come with the kit, no need to worry. Mine sorta makes a clunk noise, but nowhere as annoying as what my AWR bar used to make, so it doesn't really phaze me. If I wanted I could get the new bushings and lube it up real well but the ones that came with the kit are fine. I wouldn't worry if I were you.
      Clint/1999 "Sport20"

Comment

Thank you for the information. I appreciate your help.

02 DX Milenium Red
        Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
        Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery

Comment

Bushing Lubricant

As mentioned above, in reference to TheMAN's FAQ, he noted that the new "E" level bushings should be lubed with silicone paste during installation.
          Since 'silicone paste' is a general term and I wasn't quite sure what it is specifically, I did a search. It turns out that the silicone paste referred to in the FAQ MAY simply be Dielectric Grease which we're all familiar with from using it to coat the insides of our spark plug boots and to prevent corrosion of electrical contacts.

3M lists Silicone Paste (Dielectric Grease), part no.08946, available in an 8 oz container. Here is the product description: "... protects electrical connections, spark plug boot damage, and wiring from salt, dirt and corrosion. 3M Silicone Paste lubricates and conditions rubber products without potentially harmful solvents. A non-melting, water-resistant, 100% solids, silicone compound designed to protect surfaces from oxidation. Also used as a general purpose lubricant for brakes (metal to rubber applications); great for O rings and weatherstripping." From the description, it would seem to be the right product for the job at hand. Permatex and Loctite also make Dielectric Grease that I assume has similar or identical properties to the 3M product.

Am I correct in my contention that the silicone paste referred to in the FAQ is actually Dielectric Grease or am I all wrong here? Any comments or expertise on this subject that anyone can provide will be greatly appreciated.

02 DX Millenium Red

Comment

Disregard my last post in this thread. I've since developed the clunk with the bushings that came with the kit and ordered the E-level ones. Worked like a charm for me.
            Clint/1999 "Sport20"

Comment

Same for me. From the time I first installed my MSP stabilizer bars, I used the "E" level bushings in the rear and to date I haven't had any sign of a clunk or any other noise.

Comment

Working...
              X