• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do these ride? (did a search)

These the right ones?

Compared to springs?

Thanks
    Last edited by BlownGP; 10-04-2004, 06:15 PM.
    VOTE FOR ME

You Don't Work, You Don't Eat, You Don't Grind, You Don't Shine

I don't know much about suspension but when I clicked on the link you gave it seems these coilovers are for the 1st gen. You sure they'd fit a 2nd gen.
    ED
    '05 6s 3.0L MT & '98 Pro DX 1.5L AT

Mazda Enthusiast Club Member
    Click for my CarDomain page

2nd Gen Protege Parts Catalog project in progress
    WTB: Gray 97/98 Protege Cupholder and Door Trim

Comment

Well it says to 96.. So thats what I asked id these where the right ones.
      VOTE FOR ME

Comment

they are going to be extremely stiff spring rates, which means its going to ride like a wagon
        and they will destroy your stock struts

ask bruce, he had a set of weapon R coilovers.... which are pretty much the same thing

Comment

pigeon: Are all coilovers going to be like you describe? I was thinking about getting some in the future. From what I hear coilovers don't give you good ride quality.

I personally only want coilovers because I don't want my car permanently dropped low. But I also hear it's annoying to raise n lower coilovers.
          Last edited by loganss; 10-05-2004, 12:07 PM.
          ED
          '05 6s 3.0L MT & '98 Pro DX 1.5L AT

Mazda Enthusiast Club Member
          Click for my CarDomain page

2nd Gen Protege Parts Catalog project in progress
          WTB: Gray 97/98 Protege Cupholder and Door Trim

Comment

no, what determines the ride quality is your springs spring rate, the struts compression and rebound settings, and the amount of travel

there are other things that can affect ride quality, but in regards to coilovers... these are the main factors

now, another company that makes them for our cars is ground control
            they use eibach linear rate springs (meaning that they are the same spring rate all the time, some brands use progressive rate, where the spring rate increases as you hit bigger bumps)

one good thing about ground control, is you have the option to pick your spring rate
            this means you could pick one suited for your needs

beware tho, if you pick one that is too soft... and you slam your car 3 inchs down... you will bottom out all the time and soon end the life of your struts

the main reason picking your own spring rates is so you could counteract over/under steer

our cars naturally understeer, so you could buy stiffer rear springs when compared to the front, and the car will rotate easier

now, with MOST coilover systems, you pretty much have no choice.. if you slam your car 4 inchs... no matter what spring rate or what struts you use, its not going to ride well

because lowering the car that drastically takes away most if not all of your suspension travel... so you're going to have to buy really stiff springs and adjustable struts to counteract it.... the end result will be a bumpy as hell ride, and these struts will still wear prematurely because of how high a spring rate the springs are

now if you notice, i said MOST coilover systems...
            to the best of my knowledge, i do believe that systems exist where you control the height in such a way, that you dont loose any suspension travel... unlike the typical way of a threaded collar where you just compress the strut

none the less, if you want height adjustability... coilovers are the way to go but only ones that tell you what spring rate you're getting AND when you get them, you dont lower the car a retarded amount... or it'll suck

then you also gotta look at the material the threaded collar is made of, to make sure its not gonna corrode on you

and in choosing spring rates.. mild lowering springs will increase the rate about 30% from stock

im not sure what the stock spring rate for our cars is, so thats info someone could hopefully chime in and let us know

i was recommended from ground control, to get 300 lb front and 300 lb rear springs... but he said that was a little bit on the stiffer side... but it should help out with my understeer problem....

2 inch lowering springs for a honda civic, they had a rate of 280 lb front, and 220 lb rear
            civics weight a similar amount as our cars

but anyways, those are just a few different examples of spring rates for you... you decide what would be best for your needs... cause im not sure how you drive your car or what you're trying to improve.... or if you're trying to improve anything
            Last edited by pigeon; 10-05-2004, 05:00 PM.

Comment

His wife will be driving the car..

I already said once.. leave the car at stock height. She will like the car a lot better that way..If you want to change something .. do the ball joints or tie rods.

At the present height the car should drive comfortably. I bet she has no complaints, unless she is used to driving slamed civics or pick ups. .. that that is different.

I won't even speak about how the pro will ride on stock dampeners. Plus they don't even make good aftermarket shocks for our Protege's.

The only other struts that we could probably use are the tokico's for the 3rd gen.
              (and that's a maybe).
              photo album|photo album 2 (pbase)

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

I have those (aerospeed) and it looks nice, but it rides like a wagon. I have mine dropped 2 1/4 inches with KYB struts. Struts are nice but I would recomend GC coilovers if thats what you want to do.

ps. I have a 96 pro, so I know they fit.

Comment

Thanks, I think I will just keep it stock. I just wanted a little insite.

Steven
                  VOTE FOR ME

Comment

sorry, forum rules

you must buy.
                    buy 10

Comment

Working...
                    X