X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turbo or N/A BP?? (long thread)

Hey guys,

Now this is not a thread on what is better... but here's my little dilemma

I am in the process of planning the rebuild for my BP... and I seriously thought that I was going the naturally aspirated route

My initial plan was to make a 150 whp protege, with a reasonably flat torque curve... not revving higher than 7500 rpm
    Keeping the bottom end balanced and reasonably light by means of a balanced/knife edged crank, carillo A beam rods... and new bolts, and an aluminum flywheel

Higher compression pistons, with some mild head work, a new intake cam and an OEM miata exhaust cam

The engine management was still a bit up in the air, i was almost pretty sure on the greddy e-manage tho.

I felt that with these mods, along with some tuning and dyno time... 150 hp at the wheels was attainable and realistic.

BUT THEN...

i started thinking, after thats all said and done.... i still might not be too happy
    I mean, its gonna be a lot faster than stock, but its not gonna be THAT fast...
    Throttle response will be great, and the overall motor would have a good feel to it... but i dunno

so then i started considering keeping the same setup as above... however... keeping my stock pistons to keep compression down...
    with a different choice of intake and exhaust cams... but turbocharging... at a modest psi... roughly 7-8

this way I figured 180 hp at the wheels would be an attainable goal... and a fair amount of a power increase from what i have now, a better torque curve because i wont need to rev super high to get my power... and just overall more power

the downsides that came to mind of going NA, is the overall lack of power, and the possibility that there will be poor low end torque

and downsides of turbo is that it is more finiky... i'd have to monitor temperature, air fuel, and be on guard for knock a lot of the time... i'd have to keep my eyes on my gauges on really hot days... as well as possibly turbo lag
    i really am a fan of throttle response

SOOOO i was wondering if you guys could quickly post your opinions... what you think I should do??

now keep in mind, i want to know what you guys think is best for ME

and so you have a little more insight on ME... this is what i do:

my car is NOT a drag racer... i will only hit the drag strip for fun with my car club, just for fun... i will never compete... just have fun maybe once a year

my car is NOT a solo2 autocrosser... i will also only go to those events few and far between, just for fun... when i feel like it... maybe 1 or 2 a year

my car IS going to compete in solo1 .... where its timed laps on a road circuit
    that is very important to me, and the car has to be able to do that well and reliably
    and solo1 is demanding on an engine, because between timed laps, and practice laps... it is not uncommon to do 25 laps per event... so reliability is a must

my car IS my daily driver year round. i dont mind if it sees some down time for a few weeks every year, but its not a trailer queen... it drives me to work and school and everywhere in between

so guys and girls, if you could kinda let me know what you think is best for me, i'd appreciate it... because I need to set my mind straight on one, and work at it.
    I cant be constantly changing my mind, or i'll just be wasting time and money.

Thanks!!
    - chris

p.s. money is an issue, however it is not a deciding factor... if i do decide on a more expensive option, that is fine... that just means that I have to wait longer before i do it... but either way, which ever way i go... it is going to get done properly

and something else to bring to your attention, the BP engine was kinda designed with turbocharging more in mind, as opposed to high compression/high rpm

anyways... thanks!

if you care about racing, you MUST pick a class RIGHT NOW, before you EVER start to think about how to build the engine. Get your rulebook, figure out what class you want to run in, and start reading about what's allowed there.
    "Never run out of real estate, traction & ideas at the same time"
    -93 MR2, 129 ES
    ClubProtege.com Tech Articles

Originally posted by WTF
    Remember low compression makes more space for AIR, HEEELLOOOO!

Comment

this is an amateur question... but what do people usually consider when initially picking a class?

i've only done solo1 once, and solo2 once... both years the car broke and i wasnt able to continue racing for majority of the summer

right now im in touring 4... which is the 2nd lowest you could get
      i was the only one in my class when i was racing, and my purpose was supposed to be trying to proposition the people in the class above me

it was pretty fun, but i would like to race with more cars in my class...
      and with cars that arent geo metros and what not... and obviously with my car being faster

im possibly thinking of GT1 or GT2 or GT4

is there anything else i should consider when deciding on a class?

Comment

... my class while racing is totally something that slipped my mind tho

i have to look at what mods will add how many points to my car

Comment

I don't know the Canadian rule structure at all, so you may want to post what's allowed, and what's currently winning those classes.

Keep in mind that in racing, if you want to keep it a street car, you're probably looking at a VERY CLOSE TO STOCK racing class.
          "Never run out of real estate, traction & ideas at the same time"
          -93 MR2, 129 ES
          ClubProtege.com Tech Articles

Originally posted by WTF
          Remember low compression makes more space for AIR, HEEELLOOOO!

Comment

Working...
          X