Dynoing the BPT tommorow!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dynoing the BPT tommorow!!!

Alright guys... its been put off for way too long. Everything is finally taking care of. The car is at the shop waiting to be dynoing tommorow at noon. Derrick at CS will be bringing his camcorder, I'll see if I can burn it into WM or AVI format. I'll post the #'s as soon as I get them and if I can get a scanner I'll post the graph and what not as well.

We'll see how things go.
    Patrick Sean-Tiu Santiago

Current state:240 whp and 215.6 ft/lbs torque
    FOR SALE $9500

Cardomain
    Mmmm...BPT goodness!!!

Good luck! I can't wait.

Comment

post a video!!!!

Comment

So i got back the dyno sheets and whatnot. I'm a little disappointed. For some reason at 15 psi. The turbo isn't holding it throughout the RPM's. It ldrops to 9 PSI by 6000. We're thinking it may be the HKS boost controller. I need to buy an attachment to turn up the gain on it. ARGH!!!!!

But in its current state: 194.6 whp ( 230-240 hp at the crank) and 214.6 torque.

I know when we get the boost issue resolved I'll gain. But DAMN!!!!! soo pissed.

When I get my digicam I'll snap some photos of the dyno sheets.

FOR SALE $9500

Cardomain
        Mmmm...BPT goodness!!!

Comment

lol, thats nothing to be ashamed of my friend
          you're pushin some pretty good numbers for someone who's got a boost leak

Comment

That's a very nice torque number. Refresh my memory what size turbo you are running please.

Comment

Is it the 20?
              BP-05 Turbo-Sold
              2004 MK4 AWP Jetta GLI

Comment

Originally posted by McCorkle
                That's a very nice torque number. Refresh my memory what size turbo you are running please.
                Its not so much a boost leak but rather that the HKS boost controller not able to do its job. I spoke with the tech guy who dynoed my car and he said we needed to turn up the gain in the controller. Derrick will hook up the EZ portion to my EVC and raise it then I'll go back for another couple runs. We're thinking to be getting an extra 20-30 hp.

The turbo is just a stock VJ-20. The torque is more likely do to my CS cams and .40 over Wiseco pistons rather than just the turbo alone. =)

FOR SALE $9500

Cardomain
                Mmmm...BPT goodness!!!

Comment

To be honest, I think you'll find that the boost drop off is the turbo, the VJ20 is right at it's limit around your power level. You can push it harder, but my feeling is you won't gain much top end power, and you'll shorten the life of the turbo... The VJ20 is a great turbo for a daily driver, but it's not great for big power.
                  www.323gtx.co.uk
                  www.323gtr.net

Comment

From what I've seen the VJ20 is at its max "potential" at 15 PSI. 18 PSI is the the higest it can go w/o over heating but gains are little. I'm not trying for that. At 15 PSI you shouldn't see a boost drop off of 6 psi. thats way too much I would think. 2-3 psi is fine but 6? It doesn't seem right to me.

Does anyone else have a dyno of thei GTX motor at 15 PSI? I'd like to compare.

FOR SALE $9500

Cardomain
                    Mmmm...BPT goodness!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Project323
                      From what I've seen the VJ20 is at its max "potential" at 15 PSI. 18 PSI is the the higest it can go w/o over heating but gains are little. I'm not trying for that. At 15 PSI you shouldn't see a boost drop off of 6 psi. thats way too much I would think. 2-3 psi is fine but 6? It doesn't seem right to me.

Did you play around with the cam timming? That's if you have adjustable cam gears. I strongly suggest a set. I also suggest you upgrade your exhaust cam with one with a bit more duration that the one you have.

I could of hooked you up with a set of cams for your BPT but I guess you went with Corksport. You would of saved 200+ US dollars plus gained more power. A buddy of mine with his 323 turbocharged BP produced around 226whp and 202lb-ft with only 9-9.5psi of boost, he gained 28whp with the cams/cam gears only.
                      92 323 with BP DOHC
                      ported/polished head, regrinded cams, JUN adjustable cam gears, ported AFM, ported/knife edged intake manifold.

N/A project dropped.

Comment

Yeah, I have the CS performance cams, both the intake and exhaust cams. I have not yet picked up a set of gears though.

What turbo and boost controller did you friend have?

FOR SALE $9500

Cardomain
                        Mmmm...BPT goodness!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Project323

The thing is, it's not the boost that matters, it's the mass of air you're pumping. With your set up, you have more air entering the engine at a lower boost, than say someone else who might have just a stock GTX motor and running higher boost. The VJ20 flows enough air for ~240HP at the flywheel. After that, turning the boost up won't really achieve much as you're moving outside of it's effecient range. The VJ20 is very similar in size to a T25, ie a small turbo in reality. The roll off in boost you're seeing looks typical of what I'd expect of a VJ20 set up at that power level. You may be able to gain a little more, but the turbo simply isn't big enough for 270BHP. Quite a lot of GTX owners either swap it or hybrid it with a bigger compressor side, and the gains are usually very good, with some trade off in later spool up.
                          www.323gtx.co.uk
                          www.323gtr.net

Comment

Originally posted by 323GT-R
                            The thing is, it's not the boost that matters, it's the mass of air you're pumping. With your set up, you have more air entering the engine at a lower boost, than say someone else who might have just a stock GTX motor and running higher boost. The VJ20 flows enough air for ~240HP at the flywheel. After that, turning the boost up won't really achieve much as you're moving outside of it's effecient range. The VJ20 is very similar in size to a T25, ie a small turbo in reality. The roll off in boost you're seeing looks typical of what I'd expect of a VJ20 set up at that power level. You may be able to gain a little more, but the turbo simply isn't big enough for 270BHP. Quite a lot of GTX owners either swap it or hybrid it with a bigger compressor side, and the gains are usually very good, with some trade off in later spool up.

I think later I will upgrade to a ball bearing, but for now will work on the internals. I was just hoping that that Cams and .40 over pistons would push a little more horses when I dynoed. I was going to swap to a NA head but didn't have time.

FOR SALE $9500

Cardomain
                            Mmmm...BPT goodness!!!

Comment

One of the next things I'll hopefully be going is swapping to the N/A head with a mild port job, and hopefully a set of Mike's cams and vernier wheels. The engine will be fully rebuilt over the next few months, so it won't be back on the dyno for some time.
                              www.323gtx.co.uk
                              www.323gtr.net

Comment

Working...
                              X