my front wheels are hitting the wheel well

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

my front wheels are hitting the wheel well

just installed jamex sports springs.whenever i run over small (very smal) humps on the road i hear my tires scraping the wheel well.when the springs were installed the mechanic said that the "rubber stoppers" needs to be replaced.he installed the springs w/o those rubber stoppers.would this be the cause?
    www.cardomain.com/id/janus05

do you have the stock wheels?

Comment

"the mechanic said that the "rubber stoppers""

Do you mean 'bump-stops'?

They should only come into play if your strut is fully compressed. Bad news.

Are you using the OE struts? They wont be up to the task( do a search...).
      What happens with bigger bumps?

At the very least you'll have to pull the strut assemblies out to replace the stops.

If you're still running OE struts, you'll be replacing them too, now, or in a month or two when they're shot, it's up to you.

That of course is assuming you are running a rim and tire combo that fits...
      If forced to choose between cocky and humble, always opt for cocky.

There will be plenty of time to be humble when you're shown to be horribly, horribly wrong.

Comment

is it hitting the underside of your car (fender well) or is it just rubbing on the edge of the fender? might just need to have the fender rolled if its just scraping there.........

take smackdaddys advice.......
        The T3 BP MX-3 conversion has begun, and is taking forever & will kill me.

Comment

thanks for the replies.
          i have a 15" wheel with 195/55/15 tires.
          using stock shocks/struts.
          the rubber stoppers i'm referring to are those donut shaped hard rubbers.

"What happens with bigger bumps?"
          i tend to slow down on bigger humps.those small unnoticable humps are the ones hurting my car.

"If you're still running OE struts, you'll be replacing them too, now, or in a month or two when they're shot, it's up to you."
          does this mean that changing the springs would eventually wear out the struts faster?i dont mind changing them but i still have to save up.

"is it hitting the underside of your car (fender well) or is it just rubbing on the edge of the fender? might just need to have the fender rolled if its just scraping there."
          honestly im not sure.i just hear scraping sounds.

if you guys wanna check how low my front is or the gap between the wheel and fender, check out my cardomain.thanks again for the replies.

Comment

thats a pretty small wheel gap . . . either way, you have to change the struts when you lower, there's no way around it really, it could be a combonation of the two.

Comment

Originally posted by [JaNuS]
              the rubber stoppers i'm referring to are those donut shaped hard rubbers.
              Those are only about a quarter of an inch thick, that's not going to make much of a difference in the scraping but get some new rubber cushions in there next time the struts are out otherwise you'll have some extra noise.

The diameter of your tires is only about one inch more than stock so like SmackDaddy already said, you need new struts because the stock ones won't cut it for lowering.

Comment

Originally posted by [JaNuS]
                "is it hitting the underside of your car (fender well) or is it just rubbing on the edge of the fender? might just need to have the fender rolled if its just scraping there."
                honestly im not sure.i just hear scraping sounds.
                Is it a rough bump scraping, or more of a metal rubbing scraping?

Could be a bit of both. With your car being that low in the front you will probably need new struts soon. Was that a 2.5" drop or a 3" drop? The problem is anything much of a 2" drop is going to wear out struts as well. The struts available for our cars (well at least here in america) are valved for no more than a 1-2" drop at the most.

At least get the struts meant for the 1-2" drop. They should be alot stiffer and should at least help cusion the blows.

Comment

1.5" drop.well i think there's no choice but to change the struts.i think only kyb's are available here for the 1st gen.thanks for the replies.helped me a lot!

Comment

best of luck to you.

Comment

the KYB's should be good enough for a 1.5" drop, I have the H&R kit (1.3" f/r) with GR-2's and haven't had any problems as of yet.

Comment

this is what doesnt seem right to me. You can see your hand fit easily in one pic. we will say roughly 3-4 inches. In the next pic only your finger fits in there, little less than 1 inch wide.

thats what I dont understand. that is more than a 1.5 inch drop. Either the springs drop more than 1.5 or something else is off.....

Comment

yeah, does seem a bit odd, i have before/afters on my cardomain, and they aren't that drastic.

Comment

again thanks for the replies.well the seller told me it was 1.5" drop.actually i was expecting to fit in 2 fingers after the installation.since most 1st gens here using the same springs have a 2 finger gap from the fender.will notify you guys when the struts are installed.will take time tho.since it's really expensive here.

Comment

additional question.is it ok to change the front struts only since i dont have the money?would it be gas all the way or gas in front and fluid at the rear.thanks.

Comment

Working...
                              X