Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Location of downstream O2 sensor?

Hello,

I recently failed the emissions test because of a "bank 1 sensor 2" heater element failure.

I have a Protege LX '98.

Is this what's called a downstream sensor?

In any case, where is it?

Recently I had the sensor at the very front replaced (seemingly just behind the radiator).

I found a cheap replacement online also for the 4-wire downstream sensor but I just need to make sure...

Thanks,

Dimitris

What's the error code #?

I think sensor 2 is the downstream O2 sensor.

Just after the exhaust manifold there's the big bulky pre-cat. In the piping just after the pre-cat there's a bunge and your, more expensive of the two, O2 sensors.

Got the same year as you but I'm a DX.
    ED
    '05 6s 3.0L MT & '98 Pro DX 1.5L AT

Mazda Enthusiast Club Member
    Click for my CarDomain page

2nd Gen Protege Parts Catalog project in progress
    WTB: Gray 97/98 Protege Cupholder and Door Trim

Comment

Thanks - but I'm fairly new so...

Is it possible to post a pic with the part highlighted?

I'll probably get a digimoto interface to get the exact code # - all I have is the blurb from the emissions test site (which I assume is correct since they have a table that maps the # to the blurb).

Don't want to have to pay $400 to have this done "officially"...

Thanks again,

Dimitris

Comment

Hey, Dmitris. Like Logan said, its not hard to find. If you still have you heatshield on the exhaust manifold, you probably can't see well because of it. Like mentioned above, the first O2 sensor is easily seen. The second one is right after the precat, so you might be better off lifting the car, or getting a set of drive-on ramps.

P.S. I moved this to an approriate forum.
        "Probable impossibilities are to be preferred to improbable possibilities."

Comment

o2 sniffer

i just recently replaced both my o2 sensors aswell. I dont know why you had some one else do it, for it is simple as un pluging a connector and using a special socket (o2 sensor socket) to take it out. but anyways. if you actually get under the car and look up. it will be about 8-10 inches down the exhaust pipe from the first sensor. not to hard to figure out.this one is easier to change yourself cos it is not in a tight space. if you really want, i will go snap a lil pic and spoon feed it to you.
          I live my life a quarter pounder at a time. And for those 500 calories or more, I'm free. I need FRIES! Two of them. The big ones. Oh, and I need them tonight. You're lucky the double shot of BBQ sauce didn't blow the seam on your nugget box. There she is, 2 pounds of pure beef. My dad ate it in 9.0 seconds flat. Check it out, it's like this. If I lose, winner takes my happy meal. But if I win, I take the burger and the toy. To some people, that's more important.

._________________________
          |.....Overnight....................| ||
          |.....Japan Parts.................| |'|";,___.
          |_..._...____________======||_|_|...,]
          "(@)'(@)""'''''''''''''"'''"**|(@)(@)*****"(@)
          Oh and by the way that shot in your banner with Vin Diesel's car getting shot, thats a civic not an altezza.

Comment

spoon-feed me then

Thanks for all the info.

I would still like a pic if at all possible and if it's not too much trouble.

Can't claim to be an expert in this, just trying to save money.

D

Comment

Let the spoon-feeding begin ...

Here are some pics of what we are talking about. Don't have any pics of the pipe right below the pre-cat or have the ability to get them. I removed my pre-cat so my setup is different.

Here's a pic of my second O2 sensor anyway. You might want to pick up a haynes or chilton protege car manual.
              Attached Files
              ED
              '05 6s 3.0L MT & '98 Pro DX 1.5L AT

Mazda Enthusiast Club Member
              Click for my CarDomain page

2nd Gen Protege Parts Catalog project in progress
              WTB: Gray 97/98 Protege Cupholder and Door Trim

Comment

Thanks!

You are the man!

Comment

Working...