Cost of Engine Balancing/Rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cost of Engine Balancing/Rebuild

Well this is my first post under the new name, used to go by frontside_flipper and I find these forums to be a great resource.

Question is: Is balancing worth it on a high mileage engine, I have the BP05 in my 1997 Protege ES with roughly 132k miles on it? If so, what would be the cost involved and doing so and suggestions on how to proceed if balancing is worthwhile?

Thanks again, hope I avoid the noobness though...
    1997 Protegé ES: The Power of BP

Broke Status FTW!

it depends on your plans for the engine

if you're going to leave it at a stock setup, IMO its not worth the money to pull the crank/rods/pistons to have the balancing done

there would be benefits, but you'd be pretty much looking at a full rebuild... because if you already have that many miles, and you are going inside the engine, you might as well rebuild it and have the balancing done at that time

if i was rebuilding my engine, i would definately have a balancing done
    but i wouldnt balance an otherwise stock engine if its already in the car, and is pretty old

share your plans for the car?

Comment

Yeah, I can understand why it's not worth the money to have it rebuilt. I know balancing makes the engine in better run better, produce slightly better numbers, and increases engine life. Would be nice to get a rebuilt engine already balanced.

My plans for the care aren't to make it some hp demon, just something quicker in the low end, struts and springs, front and rear strut bars, and a CAI. Currently I have a 4-2-1 header coming from EssentialSpeed in Canada being the stock manifold is cracked. Also maybe planning on snatching up a set up Miata camshafts with adjustable timing gears caused its rumored the Miata cams are a little better. I think my goal is to just make something that handles and acclerates out of cornes better.
      1997 Protegé ES: The Power of BP

Broke Status FTW!

Comment

if you need help choosing cams and tuning on a bp...
        talk to Gen1GT (josh cosworth)

he has the most experience with stuff like that on this board

also the miata boards got a lot of cam info

im in canada, how long ago did you order your header?

Comment

Working...
        X