Boost issues...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boost issues...

Well i finally got my BPT up and running, it runs perfect except one thing. for some reason when im driving and then hit boost the boost just climbs like boost creep. it has exceeded 14psi on some of these instances and has got me thinking it may be a problem with the wastegate but not sure. this worries me because i really dont want to damage this turbo.

Sounds like the wastegate. How do you have the lines hooked up for the wastegate? I have the vj-20 on my bp and have a line running from the wastegate to a nipple that a I tapped right after the compressor.
    BP-05 Turbo-Sold
    2004 MK4 AWP Jetta GLI

Comment

i will check,they have my bov tee'd into the same vac line as my wastegate, is that bad?? i was not the one who did the swap so i will hafta look at it closer. Is it possible that if the wastegate was hooked to a improper vac line it could cause this?? thanx so much for your help, i really wanna figure this out. do you think i could have damaged my engine or turbo by getting these spikes over 17psi for like a second?? it still funs fine, i just really dont wanna damage anything.
      Last edited by driftscort; 10-16-2004, 05:22 PM.

Comment

i highyly doubt you dammaged anything....bp= boosted power....its like a Diesel it loves boost...mmmmmmmm
        91 323 GTX @ 16psi, 5 speed || December 07 R.O.T.M.
        Powered by MegaSquirt I PCB3, Tuned by Lex

More Information

Comment

It depends. I have my wategate tapped really close to the compressor outlet. If they have your BOV t-ed to the same place, then I do now know how your BOV is opening at all. The BOV needs to be t-ed off the the intake manifold, or after the throttle body. As for boost spikes to 17psi, i dont really see it as a problem, but i was under the impression that the GTX ecu can only work up to 14psi and does weird things, but I am not sure as I am running a GT ecu on my turboed BP. Check your lines.
          BP-05 Turbo-Sold
          2004 MK4 AWP Jetta GLI

Comment

well i was looking and looks like the wastegate and BOV go to the back of the intake mani both sharing the same source (BOV is tapped into the wastegate vac line by means of a tee both running up to the intake mani) dunno if thats bad or not? my boost gauge is on another one by itself on the back aswell plugged directly into the nipple on the back. i also looked at my wastegate and noticed the actuator rod has quite a bit of rust on it. i hope i can clean that off and it will move, otherwise maybe the actual valve might be rusted shut.
            Last edited by driftscort; 10-18-2004, 11:04 PM.

Comment

well i tested the actuator and it moves but i think i hafta get rid of that tee and have the wastegate and bov have their own seperate vac lines running to the intake manifold, maybe this is the cause of the overboosting because maybe the wastegate isnt getting enough pressure thru the vac line cuz it has the bov tee'd into the same line. what do you guys think??

Comment

sounds like you should give it a try!
                '90 Mazda 323 GT (sold)
                '04 Mazda Tribute (sold)
                '92 Mazda Protege LX (sold)
                '91 Mazda Protege LX (blown engine)
                '91 Honda Prelude (totalled)
                '91 Honda CRX SI (sold)

Comment

BTW... if you don't have this... it may help
                  Attached Files
                  '90 Mazda 323 GT (sold)
                  '04 Mazda Tribute (sold)
                  '92 Mazda Protege LX (sold)
                  '91 Mazda Protege LX (blown engine)
                  '91 Honda Prelude (totalled)
                  '91 Honda CRX SI (sold)

Comment

thanx for the diagram lscrx, do you have any more pages from the manual or perhaps the whole gtx manual??

Comment

I would tap a hole as close to the turbo outlet as possible, it will give quicker wastegate response than going to th intake manifold.
                      BP-05 Turbo-Sold
                      2004 MK4 AWP Jetta GLI

Comment

so if my wastegate is hooked up to the intake manifold it technically isnt really hooked up and not working??what would i use to tap this hole you speak of on the charge pipe just after the compressor outlet?? do you have any pics of yours elscotto?? thanx for the help!!

Comment

a drill
                          91 323 GTX @ 16psi, 5 speed || December 07 R.O.T.M.